Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blight

Options
  • 21-05-2012 11:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

What do you all use for combating blight? Read of one that begins with D :o but is only good until the next shower :confused: Which doesn't seem much good for where I am situated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

I dont think there is much you can do except blight resistant spuds and spray.

If you do get blight then cut off all foliage above the ground and burn. Then leave your spuds in the ground for at approx 6 weeks. (Do not disturb soil). It happened to me and i still got a good load of spuds. Maybe some were smaller than they would have been but i was quite pleased with most of them and some huge ones as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Sorry, I didn't make my question clear, I was asking about sprays :)

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

I used the yellow one and the blue one and still got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

The chemical you are asking about is Dithane 945 - thats the yellow one - available at all good garden centres and most bad ones. Also found at real country shops like O Malleys in Rosmuc (worth the drive from Galway to see a real country store, also a chance to visit Pierces Cottage)

A lot of people use copper sulphate spray - thats the blue one.

I make the traditional anti-blight horsetail tea (I get the horsetail weed from a friends garden, put in a net bag and soak for a few weeks) - this I use to dilute the Dithane.

One box will last years with the mixture ratio at 1 level tablespoon to 5 litres water

Another anti blight treatment is 1 part milk to 10 parts water - I use this for rust in fruit plants but the idea is the bacteria that thrive on the milk/water mix then attacks the fungus that causes rust

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Dithane 945 is actually coming off the market in the next year(01/08/2013)

• Advertisement

Coincidentally I got a text from a friend today asking had I blight spray. He offered to come spray mine since I hadn't yet got my arse in gear. He had Dithane 945. Unfortunately I really did miss the TG4 programme tonight because 8 was the only time he could come. Will watch out for it on Player.

- Aha!, it's repeated Sunday @ 6.30pm :D

I read somewhere, and I don't know if it's true or not, that the copper sulphate spray is harmful to worms? Just realise I have CS sitting on the shelf across from me for sheep use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭brian_t

johngalway wrote: »
    Unfortunately I really did miss the TG4 programme tonight because 8 was the only time he could come. Will watch out for it on Player.

- Aha!, it's repeated Sunday @ 6.30pm :D

Check beforehand. I think it's on at 2.55pm

brian_t wrote: »
    Check beforehand. I think it's on at 2.55pm

I'll check to make sure on Sunday, says 6.30 on TG4 site though. It will probably be on Player before then.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/garrai-glas1.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭brian_t

johngalway wrote: »
    I'll check to make sure on Sunday, says 6.30 on TG4 site though. It will probably be on Player before then.

http://www.tg4.ie/en/programmes/garrai-glas1.html

http://www.tg4.ie/en/tv-listings/tv-listings.html?date=2012-05-27

Garraí Glas
    14:55

New Series: Síle visits Simon Jennings, a Merchant Navy man who lives in Carna. His vegetable garden is inspired by the weird and wonderful food he sees on his travels as well as the traditional Irish staples. Kay Synott comes to see the progress in Síle's own garden and John Ó Máille teaches her how to build the traditional 'cruach móna', the reek of turf. (Repeat)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Dithane 945 is actually coming off the market in the next year(01/08/2013)

Hi Cardinal, where did that news come from?
    They already got rid of liquid derris :mad: !! Whats next?

The agricorp lobbyists in Brussels are really, quietly but effectively, cornering all aspects of food production, forme to sell my own heritge seeds to another person is illegal!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Zuiderzee wrote: »
    Hi Cardinal, where did that news come from?
    They already got rid of liquid derris :mad: !! Whats next?

Dept of Agriculture Pesticide Control Services website.

http://www.pcs.agriculture.gov.ie/Docs/List_of_withdrawn_products_and_their_use_by_dates-1-3-2012.pdf

See that it has now been re-registered with a new PCS number so I stand corrected.
    Potatoes Dithane 945 (fungicide) is now re-registered under PCS No 03705. The „old product‟ (PCS No 91652) was revoked on 01/02/12 and has 6 months to sell, and can be used for a further 12 months until 01/08/13.

Advertisement