Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dumped puppies

• 22-05-2012 1:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi,

a few hours ago my friend's parents found 5 puppies dumped in their back garden.:mad: The OH and I have decided to take care of them and try to rehome them. They're really underweight, bloated (from worms I presume), nervous, smelly and have really wobbly back legs. One of them I'm really worried about, he seems to be limping and his hips look out of place. We have no idea how old they are or what to do with them. We are going to take them to the vet asap, but does anyone have any advice until then? Also, because they were abandoned is there any chance a vet would look at them for free or a lower than normal price?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Can you hazard a guess at how old they are? Are there eyes open ( >10 days old)?

Keep them warm and secure until you get can them to a vet. If you had a needleess syringe (in fairness most people wouldnt) you could give them a small amount of water. If they would accept it tip your baby finger into some warm water and let them suck it. Hydration and warmth is the main thing for right now tbh.

A vet wont turn you away put it like that. Explain the situation and come to a compromise. They see this all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Comrade_salad

They are a few weeks. They can walk around and play with each other. I'd say they're somewhere between 4 to 7 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

This is one of the sadist things I've read today...

People who do this should be turfed in jail...well I'd advocate execution but most people would reckon that's a tad over the top.

Keep us up to date on their situation, hope they are OK and pull throw this ordeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Can you get them to a vet tomorrow? At that age they're well able for puppyfood (mashed up/liquidised in small amounts) and or puppy replacement milk until a correct diet is establised. They will need to be dewormed asap as puppies can succumb to a high worm burden at that age if left untreated for much longer. This is only short term help here i.e the next 48hrs or so.

Yeah the plan is to get them to the vet in the morning. We have been giving them dried puppy food and they seem okay. I'm just worried about their legs. It seems like they were locked away somewhere. They smell so bad and not in the normal doggy way. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

god i hope they don’t have parvo.... it’s a very bad,
    distinctive smell....
    ]good one you for looking after them, hopefully when they see the vet , they will be ok :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭suziwalsh

If you are in Dublin I would contact <snip> who might allow you to join their fostering programme with the pups....you'll mind them and they will sort out vets and homing etc. Just a though and well done for taking them on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭Benny_Cake

It's disgusting that people could do something like that, but I just wanted to say well done to you for taking them on. There are still some really good people out there. Hopefully they'll be ok, keep us posted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

Could have been easily prevented if their lazy b**** owners spent a few pound getting the poor dog neutered. Sickens me! They have no problem spending their money on fags and booze I bet!

Heard great things about dogs trust so I'm sure you will get some great advice from them on the pups.

Well done on taking some responsibility for them and best of luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

O God that's just terrible.
    Re the vets put them into a box with a blanket and take the
    To the Blue Cross Mobile Clinics... They are a charity based vet service for hard up folk and no doubt a case such as this would qualify... Their vets are fantastic and no doubt they could assess the puppies & do a proper diagnosis for a very small donation.
    Best of luck with them. Can't people be so cruel: and wonderful like your rescuers .

• Advertisement

So I just got back from the bluecross. They are fine, we just need to keep an eye on them. They are most likely lurchers and between 5-7 weeks old. There's already a home for one and we might keep one.

Does anyone have any advice on feeding them? What and how often? We made a pen for them to try and minimize mess, but there's not too much room. Is that okay? We are letting them run around the garden during the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

So I just got back from the bluecross. They are fine, we just need to keep an eye on them. They are most likely lurchers and between 5-7 weeks old. There's already a home for one and we might keep one.

Does anyone have any advice on feeding them? What and how often? We made a pen for them to try and minimize mess, but there's not too much room. Is that okay? We are letting them run around the garden during the day.
    Lurchers jee I wonder who owned them
    Don know how anyone can abandon a dog like that never mind puppies that's even worse
    Fair play for takin them

Here they are enjoying the sunshine 546451_321666677909070_100001972205605_736083_1142061001_n.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Don know how anyone can abandon a dog like that never mind puppies that's even worse
    Fair play for takin them
    Lots of types of people own lurchers, they are actually a great type of dog to own domestically because like greyhounds they tend to have a very relaxed chilled out temperment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Fair play for takin them
    Lots of types of people own lurchers, they are actually a great type of dog to own domestically because like greyhounds they tend to have a very relaxed chilled out temperment.

I could be wrong but going by the rehoming thread they are all males, they've obviously kept the females and discarded the males as useless, so highly doubt responsible pet owners who are just looking for a relaxed chilled out pet. But I see your point iv met loads of lovely lurchers and they do make wonderful pets.

I couldn't agree more. Lots of people dump dogs, regardless of their 'status'. I don't think who it was matters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Showed my brother the picture of the dog's and told him the story...He couldn't believe anyone could dumped dogs, especially ones as nice as them.

Great picture and lovely looking dogs, best of luck homing them:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

They are lovely little guys! Heartbreaking to see them abandoned. Good luck re-homing them x

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

WOW they are lovely

In my opinion, they are around 2 months old.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭JyesusChrist

Fair play to you for saving them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement