Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aurora Borealis in March.

Options
  • 22-05-2012 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to go and view the Northern Lights in Tromso next March, i was just wondering if anyone here had done it before and what the prices were like.

I intend to stay around 4 nights. The cheapest travel/accommodation from Dublin seems to be a little over €500. Is there any little cheap shortcuts anyone knows about? :D

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to go and view the Northern Lights in Tromso next March, i was just wondering if anyone here had done it before and what the prices were like.

I intend to stay around 4 nights. The cheapest travel/accommodation from Dublin seems to be a little over €500. Is there any little cheap shortcuts anyone knows about? :D

Thanks in advance!

Ryanair flights to Oslo (Rygge) are very cheap at the moment for travel in the next few months, I've heard that they are fairly consistently cheap. After that you can get a train up as far as Tromso, for less than €100. All in, the flight/train should work out at no more than €150. Have been thinking about a similar trip myself recently. Accomodation and day-to-day spending seems pricey enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭muckish

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Ryanair flights to Oslo (Rygge) are very cheap at the moment for travel in the next few months, I've heard that they are fairly consistently cheap. After that you can get a train up as far as Tromso, for less than €100. All in, the flight/train should work out at no more than €150. Have been thinking about a similar trip myself recently. Accomodation and day-to-day spending seems pricey enough.

24hr sunlight in Tromso now so season is finished in Nordic countries untill september/october.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭dbran

Hi

Ive been to Tromso and it is by far the best place to see the Northern Lights.

You can fly with SAS who also fly to Tromso (change in Oslo). I don't think that there is a train that goes that far north and I reckon it would take a long time to get there by bus. The best/only option is to fly as it is really quite far north and in the arctic circle.

But as mentioned at the moment it is midsummer sun so the season is over until October.

Hope this helps

dbran

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Biggies

Norwegian is a Scandinavian low-cost airline. You can easily fly to Tromsø from Oslo-Gardemoen. So if you fly Ryanair to Rygge you only need to transfer airports.
    http://www.norwegian.com/en
    Sometimes you can get special fares in the Norwegian trains website, starting at 199 NOK. They connect both airports. By bus this trip would cost double.
    http://www.nsb.no/

Advertisement