Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation in Christchurch

• 22-05-2012 4:18am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭

I open this to most of you who are still thinking about coming to Christchurch, but I'd also be really interested in hearing from people here already, or who have looked into coming here already.

Obviously, Christchurch post-quake has lost a lot of buildings, hence the rebuild, hence there being housing issues now, which I'm taking a particular interest in.

There's a lot of interesting elements to the problem, with lots of different solutions, from government/local council taking responsibility for providing affordable accommodation, to construction companies providing accommodation for the worker's they're bringing into the city, and I just wonder how it's affecting anyone here?

If you're moving from overseas to here, how are you arranging accommodation? Employers sorting it? Sorting it yourself? How are you finding the selection, the prices? How's it affecting your decision to come here?

Personally, I'm borderline feeling guilty, in a somewhat coveted family size 4 bed house with an empty bedroom, but realistically, after the February quake, it was the closest thing we could find to a place to live, back then it was way above budget, and the rent went up after a year of being there, and shortly afterwards the rates increase was announced, so no doubt it'll go up sharply again next year.

I'd be interested to know what the housing shortage experience is like from outside the city, currently.

Advertisement