Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

stream sites you pay for

• 22-05-2012 5:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭

I have a question regarding stream sites you pay for such as live footy and flash stream sports,

Do these work better the faster the internet connection you have and is there an upper limit connection where having an even better connection wont matter

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

basicall what I want to know is ,would there be any advantage if I upgraded to 100mb broadband from 20mb for these streams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

basicall what I want to know is ,would there be any advantage if I upgraded to 100mb broadband from 20mb for these streams

In one word "no", i have an 8mb line and it works perfect, 20mb is plenty enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,043 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Unless you want to be downloading while you stream, there's really no need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Im sure this is going to be IBTL as Sean Sherlock is probably foaming at the mouth with this.....

Vicxas wrote: »
    Im sure this is going to be IBTL as Sean Sherlock is probably foaming at the mouth with this.....

Sher to get the lock

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Flash recommend you have at least 3mb.

Lof recommend you have at least 1mb so you are grand .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

You sound like you are a UPC customer? Their 20mb line would be perfectly adequate for streaming, speaking completely hypothetically of course.

Run this:

www.speedtest.net

And if your download speed is over 3mb, there's no need to upgrade, unless as someone pointed out, you want to engage in simultaneous downloading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Ive run my UPC 25Mb line with streaming simultaneous downloading and surfing at the same time (different devices) and it doesnt bat an eye lid. 100Mb is completely unwarranted for what you require.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

This is were an official EPL online service has to step in, independent form any TV deal.

Rather than customers paying for unofficial 3rd party streams the league should have their own.

For the price paid the customer would be guaranteed a certain level of service and not have to rely on an unofficial 3rd party.

MLB.tv is a great example of this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

This is were an official EPL online service has to step in, independent form any TV deal.

Rather than customers paying for unofficial 3rd party streams the league should have their own.

For the price paid the customer would be guaranteed a certain level of service and not have to rely on an unofficial 3rd party.

MLB.tv is a great example of this.

At the moment, it would be a big risk for the league. Were they to do this, they'd need to lower their charges to Sky, Setanta, ESPN etc. Then, if not enough people signed up to the online service, the overall flow of money into the league would drop.

I think it's inevitable that they will go down this route though, as the demand for online access to games continues to increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Neil3030 wrote: »
    At the moment, it would be a big risk for the league. Were they to do this, they'd need to lower their charges to Sky, Setanta, ESPN etc. Then, if not enough people signed up to the online service, the overall flow of money into the league would drop.

I think it's inevitable that they will go down this route though, as the demand for online access to games continues to increase.

I'm sure it's on the leagues radar screen.

In the next or subsequent rounds of rights allocations you may see an online entity involved, and evnthough the amount paid by the traditional TV companies for rights may be reduced, I'm sure the total revenue for the league will be higher with the online player now involved.

that's just the way the world is going.

Advertisement