Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Serial killer and rapist Geoffrey Evans dies..

• 22-05-2012 8:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭

Bye bye you evil bastard....

Evans, who died on Sunday at St Mary's nursing home, had been in a coma since December 2008 when he suffered a stroke while undergoing heart surgery.
    With his accomplice and fellow Englishman, John Shaw (70), Evans was convicted in 1978 of the rape and murder of two women, Elizabeth Plunkett and Mary Duffy, and sentenced to life.
    Shaw is still behind bars in Castlerea Prison in Co Roscommon. The pair -- who confessed to the killings when arrested -- were among the longest-serving prisoners in the State.
    Both men were only in their 30s when they arrived here in 1974 but they had built up a string of criminal convictions and were wanted by UK police in connection with three rapes.
    Evans, the smaller of the two, was also said to be the smarter -- and he worked out the logistics while former coal miner Shaw provided the brawn.
    The men had decided to fund a pre-planned murder spree in Ireland -- with the aim of killing at least one young woman a week -- by carrying out house burglaries. However, they were caught in Cork the following year and got two-year jail terms for the break-ins.
    Due to an administrative blunder, they were freed after 18 months and disappeared before they could be tracked down for their crimes in the UK.
    In late August 1976 they drove to Brittas, Co Wicklow, where they spotted Elizabeth Plunkett, a 23-year-old clerk, from Ringsend, Dublin. Shaw and Evans offered her a lift and drove to Castletimon Wood where she was raped repeatedly.
    Evans then told Shaw to kill her and he choked the young woman with the sleeve of a nylon shirt.
    Suspicion

The men arrived in Galway on September 10 and bought a mobile home at a caravan park in Barna, outside the city and then stole a green Ford Cortina, changed the number plates and painted it black.
    But they aroused suspicion when they walked into a shop in Maam, Connemara, and bought petrol. The shopkeeper noticed the poorly painted car and their English accents. He took down the car's registration number.
    The next day, the two arrived in Castlebar as local cook Mary Duffy (24) was trying to arrange a lift home to the family farm at Deerpark, Belcarra.
    Shaw and Evans abducted, beat and raped her in the back of the car and then drove to Ballinahinch, Connemara, where she was again raped and tied to a tree. Shaw subsequently suffocated her by putting a cushion over her head.
    On the night of September 26, however, a passing garda spotted their car and the two were taken in and confessed to their murderous crimes.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

galwayrush wrote: »

Due to an administrative blunder, they were freed after 18 months and disappeared before they could be tracked down for their crimes in the UK.
    In late August 1976 they drove to Brittas, Co Wicklow, where they spotted Elizabeth Plunkett, a 23-year-old clerk, from Ringsend, Dublin. Shaw and Evans offered her a lift and drove to Castletimon Wood where she was raped repeatedly.

This part sickens me...how many people have been killed in Ireland and the UK due to administrative blunders.:mad:
    It's a pity the bastard didn't suffer more. Scum like these don't deserve to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

don't you have to kill 3 to be a serial killer?

Glad the c*nt died though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Sparks43

R.I.P:eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Blazer wrote: »
    This part sickens me...how many people have been killed in Ireland and the UK due to administrative blunders.:mad:
    It's a pity the bastard didn't suffer more. Scum like these don't deserve to live.

they served 18 months of a 2 year sentance.

If they were model prisoners they coulda been out by then anyway.

edit never mind, misread the fact that they just dissappeared before they coulda been picked up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

May he forever be raped by the barbed cock of satan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭dee.

My old neighbor raped a woman in Ireland and was released early because of an ~administrative blunder~ too. He used to always try make small talk with me at the bus stop but I knew his past so just kept my head down/pretended I was reading/playing on my phone/etc.
    Few years later he moved to another country and raped/killed a woman there. Its very sad but in a sense I am glad he did it in another country because he might actually have to serve most of his term now, unlike Ireland where you can get out too early.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

dee. wrote: »
    My old neighbor raped a woman in Ireland and was released early because of an ~administrative blunder~ too. He used to always try make small talk with me at the bus stop but I knew his past so just kept my head down/pretended I was reading/playing on my phone/etc.
    Few years later he moved to another country and raped/killed a woman there. Its very sad but in a sense I am glad he did it in another country because he might actually have to serve most of his term now, unlike Ireland where you can get out too early.

Some people don't deserve to live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Good night sweet prince :):p
    I'd prefer for him to have lived another 20 years in agony though :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Sick scum like that are deserving of justice Taliban style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I'd call them animals but animals don't go around doing that shìt.

Good riddance to a waste of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

when i was small, all i remember is hearing about the Northside Rapist,who operated around the dart lines in n.dublin.
    whatever happened him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The shopkeeper noticed their English accents and took down the car's registration number.
    Still done to this day.

Joke!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

He's dead. He spent his life in prison. I don't know what you hope to achieve with this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I was listening to this on Joe Duffy yesterday and you could not feel anything but hatred for evans and his accomplice.
    If any family members of those women were listening they must be heartbroken to hear how they died.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

He's dead. He spent his life in prison. I don't know what you hope to achieve with this thread.

A sense of moral outrage in a Daily Mail style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

when i was small, all i remember is hearing about the Northside Rapist,who operated around the dart lines in n.dublin.
    whatever happened him?

10 year stretch iirc.

No idea how long he served.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

I winced as soon as I read "administrative blunder". FFS if you're dealing with potential serial killers, get out the "A squad" admin team for the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Ya, your thread on pesto was much more interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

First Robin Gibb, now this?

It's a sad week. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

God must need more angels

• Advertisement

fedor.2. wrote: »
    Ya, your thread on pesto was much more interesting

Creepy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

Creepy.

Must have been old pesto.....:p

About as old as that thread ;)

Advertisement