Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen laptop in Bundoran

Options
  • 22-05-2012 9:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

I hope this is within the rules, just trying to catch the eye of the people most likely to be able to help.

While my son was out doing charity work in Bundoran last Sunday some scumbag was gaining entry to his rented accomodation and making off with his laptop.

He lives in Bundoran, well away from home and eeks out a poor living with the help of his laptop and he is left devastated by the loss.

The laptop is his liveliehood and his lifeline.

It's a HP and they didn't take the charger and it's password protected so they may be looking for a charger and a means of bypassing the passwords, so maybe we might get lucky and someone reading this might be approached for help.

It's a long shot but if anyone hears anything please make contact with me or the Guards in Bundoran.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Does your son have a gmail account?

Dropbox anything like this?

some of these programs have an IP tracer of sorts as part of their workings for security reasons.

For example if dropbox is on the computer then lt might be syncing up or the thief may have accessed his email (intentially or not) and both of these will log the IP address

dropbox info in settings

[url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38868/205961.JPG[/url]

I'm not sure if your son uses any of these services but if he does you might get an IP address which would narrow your search.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭wilson10

danniemcq wrote: »
    Does your son have a gmail account?

Dropbox anything like this?

some of these programs have an IP tracer of sorts as part of their workings for security reasons.

For example if dropbox is on the computer then lt might be syncing up or the thief may have accessed his email (intentially or not) and both of these will log the IP address

dropbox info in settings

[url=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/38868/205961.JPG[/url]

I'm not sure if your son uses any of these services but if he does you might get an IP address which would narrow your search.

He has a gmail account, I can't contact him till this evening but thanks a lot for that.

its not perfect i'll admit and i'm not sure what the guards can actually do even if they get the IP but its a start!

Other dropbox like sites may also have this tracking option

Would his anti virus have a location setting on it? Also be handy if your son knew serial (highly unlikely though!) in the event of getting it back although proving the laptop is his shouldn't be to hard if the guards get him!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭Firblog

Anymore detail about the laptop other than it's just a HP?

Model number / Serial Number?
    Colour/Stickers?
    Scratches/Marks? Etc

Just got more info.

It's a G62, 15.6 inch screen.

It's dark blue with a pattern embossed on the lid.

The mouse pad is flush with no boundary marker.

• Advertisement

any luck tracing the IP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

if you still have the manuals and model details, or maybe the shop would have those, and you contacted HP helpline, they might have the way to help you track it. Id say you'd need the serial number, worth ringing and asking them.

Another way you might be able to trace it is go to Wifi lookup and find local wifi hotspots, and a tech person might be able to see what devices were trying to access the network around the time it went missing.

No luck so far, the guards tell us they've questioned a few suspects.

He'll be home next week and we'll see what we can do regarding tracking it.

Thanks for your help lads, will let you know if we have any developments.

wilson10 wrote: »
    No luck so far, the guards tell us they've questioned a few suspects.

He'll be home next week and we'll see what we can do regarding tracking it.
    Thanks for your help lads, will let you know if we have any developments.

anyway he can check some of the tracking options himself?

The sooner the IP is tracked the better

Advertisement