Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

housing

Options
  • 22-05-2012 9:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all.
    Just looking for a bit of information if anyone can help. I've recently moved house and have just been told that the house I've just moved into is for sale. I'm currently on the housing list for this area and I was wondering if anybody knows whether the council would be willing to buy the house as the landlord is willing to sell to them or if anyone has had been in the same position I'd really appreciate some advice.......thanks.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Hi all.
    Just looking for a bit of information if anyone can help. I've recently moved house and have just been told that the house I've just moved into is for sale. I'm currently on the housing list for this area and I was wondering if anybody knows whether the council would be willing to buy the house as the landlord is willing to sell to them or if anyone has had been in the same position I'd really appreciate some advice.......thanks.:)

I don't think the council want to buy any more houses as they already have quite a few houses in default on the shared ownership scheme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Hi all.

I doubt the Council would want to buy the house as they probably dont have the money to do this. At best they might be interested in a long term lease agreement with the Landlord however this probably wont suit you as it would be unlikely that the Council would house you there.

If you have been in receipt of RA for 18 months or more then the RAS scheme could be an option, provided your landlord wishes to enter this instead of selling the property, if the Landlord only wants to sell this isnt an option.

And if they do want to sell you should probably look for somewhere else although it is unlikely it will be a quick sale.

You could always try phoning the Council and asking are they looking to buy properties at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 eileen281182

Thanks guys. Thoughts of moving again is sickening!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Accommodation & Property

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Thanks guys. Thoughts of moving again is sickening!!! :D

Did you sign a fixed term lease when you moved in? If so, the landlord can't force you to leave until the end of the lease.

If they do want you to leave early, or if they want to have viewings, or have an estate agent come to take photos, then you are entitled to refuse. If you prefer, you could ask for a reduction in your rent for the inconvenience, or perhaps a couple of months free while you look for another place.

• Advertisement

nibtrix wrote: »
    Did you sign a fixed term lease when you moved in? If so, the landlord can't force you to leave until the end of the lease.

If they do want you to leave early, or if they want to have viewings, or have an estate agent come to take photos, then you are entitled to refuse. If you prefer, you could ask for a reduction in your rent for the inconvenience, or perhaps a couple of months free while you look for another place.

I did sign a lease but there was no fixed term. Theres a viewing tomorrow on the house. Even though theres no fixed term,how much notice would I be entitled to if the house does sell quickly,I only moved in here 6 weeks ago and the rent allowance hasnt even come through yet,so I'm up in the air on what to do...:confused:

I did sign a lease but there was no fixed term. Theres a viewing tomorrow on the house. Even though theres no fixed term,how much notice would I be entitled to if the house does sell quickly,I only moved in here 6 weeks ago and the rent allowance hasnt even come through yet,so I'm up in the air on what to do...:confused:

What does it say in your lease? Is it for 1 year, 6 months etc (which would be fixed term) or 1-month recurring? Is there a break clause in your lease, or does it specify how much notice you are entitled to?

If it's not fixed-term, and you've been there less than 6 months then they can probably give you notice to leave as you haven't achieved part 4 status yet (must be there at least 6 months). I don't know how much notice you're entitled to if it's not on the lease, as you're not yet covered under part 4 regulations. Probably one month would be reasonable, but like I said I wouldn't know for sure.

Regardless of what kind of lease you are on, you are entitled to the quiet enjoyment of your home. You are not obliged to allow viewings, and are within your rights to refuse them or to ask for compensation for the inconvenience.

To be honest, I would start looking for a new place. The hassle of moving will probably be less than the hassle of dealing with the viewings etc (if you choose to allow them) or with being served notice at a bad time.

nibtrix wrote: »
    What does it say in your lease? Is it for 1 year, 6 months etc (which would be fixed term) or 1-month recurring? Is there a break clause in your lease, or does it specify how much notice you are entitled to?

If it's not fixed-term, and you've been there less than 6 months then they can probably give you notice to leave as you haven't achieved part 4 status yet (must be there at least 6 months). I don't know how much notice you're entitled to if it's not on the lease, as you're not yet covered under part 4 regulations. Probably one month would be reasonable, but like I said I wouldn't know for sure.

Regardless of what kind of lease you are on, you are entitled to the quiet enjoyment of your home. You are not obliged to allow viewings, and are within your rights to refuse them or to ask for compensation for the inconvenience.

To be honest, I would start looking for a new place. The hassle of moving will probably be less than the hassle of dealing with the viewings etc (if you choose to allow them) or with being served notice at a bad time.

You are probably right about moving,I'd feel bad asking for compensation or refusing viewings as at the end of the day it is his house to sell if he wants. But thank you so much for your advice,I really appreciate it. I'm off to start house hunting again!!:)

it is his house to sell if he wants.

If you had a fixed term lease then he would have to sell it with you as a sitting tenant, he would have no right to ask you to leave.

Best of luck with whatever you decide to do

Advertisement