Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fundamental Applied Maths: Solution to a Circ. Motion Q

• 22-05-2012 10:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

To anyone studying circ motion for the exam (I believe there are very few?) - can someone help me out with a question from the Fundamental Applied Maths Book?

11C - Q 4 in the new book:

A book rests on a horizontal shelf in the back window of a car. The coefficient of friction between the book and the shelf is 1/2. The driver of the car takes a bend at 6m/s. find (to the nearest metre) the radius of the tightest horizontal bend which the car can take without the book slipping.

I think what I'm doing wrong is applying the force of the centripetal force of the car to the book.
    I end up with 2 equations but about 4 variables (m or car, m of book, coefficient of friction between car and ground, radius)

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Cathalog wrote: »
    To anyone studying circ motion for the exam (I believe there are very few?) - can someone help me out with a question from the Fundamental Applied Maths Book?

11C - Q 4 in the new book:

A book rests on a horizontal shelf in the back window of a car. The coefficient of friction between the book and the shelf is 1/2. The driver of the car takes a bend at 6m/s. find (to the nearest metre) the radius of the tightest horizontal bend which the car can take without the book slipping.

I think what I'm doing wrong is applying the force of the centripetal force of the car to the book.
    I end up with 2 equations but about 4 variables (m or car, m of book, coefficient of friction between car and ground, radius)

Thanks!

And now I spot the Applied maths thread... Sorry for wasting valuable forum space..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

I'll revise this later and then see if I can help, if someone hasn't beaten me to it. :)

Do you have the answer to it?

finality wrote: »
    I'll revise this later and then see if I can help, if someone hasn't beaten me to it. :)

Do you have the answer to it?

Cheers! Yup.
    6 metres

IMG_20120522_213704-1.jpg

You can basically ignore everything to do with the car here, it's irrelevant, just look at the centripetal force on the book itself.

Found the question in my own book (the brown one) and that's the answer at the back, I was wondering why I wasn't getting 6 for ages until I checked it there :L

finality wrote: »
    IMG_20120522_213704-1.jpg

You can basically ignore everything to do with the car here, it's irrelevant, just look at the centripetal force on the book itself.

Found the question in my own book (the brown one) and that's the answer at the back, I was wondering why I wasn't getting 6 for ages until I checked it there :L

Ah I see. I got the same answer!

I double-checked my book there and it definitely says 6. It was killing me hah!

Sorry for wasting your time answering that q, but now at least...

a) My mind is put at ease :)
    and
    b) it was nice to see how someone else would lay out their answer!

• Advertisement

Cathalog wrote: »
    b) it was nice to see how someone else would lay out their answer!

Hah in an exam layout goes out the window for me, I'm all over the place! (or even in general if I'm not making it nice for the internet :o)

Oh, haha. Same as me :P I feel sorry for the poor examiner who gets mine!

Advertisement