Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever been told to leave because you were vaping?

• 22-05-2012 10:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭

It happened to me for the first time on Friday night. In an Ibis hotel in Munich. They told me it was hotel policy not to allow e-cigs as they give off a smell.
    I stayed in an Ibis in London a few weeks back, though it was strange that it was policy in one country and not another.

Anyone else ever been refused anywhere?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my mothers car... :/

im less gung ho about being allowed vape indoors than others as like the above says they do give off kind of a smell, which can be annoying to other people

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

If I'm vaping anywhere that smoking wouldn't be allowed I make sure I'm discreet and just stealth vape. That's worked ok for me so far and I've vaped in pubs, hotels, airports, airplanes etc etc.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,738 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I've never been asked to leave anywhere, but at the same time, i've never made a big deal about vaping in front of people.

The only time i had a problem was when i was in Dubai, i was going through a metal detector in the Burj Kalifah(worlds tallest building) and i put my eGo in to the tray with my phone and wallet and the security guard asked me what it was, when i told him, he told me to put it in the missus' hand bag until we left...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Was in O'Keefe's residents bar in Clonmel (I know), asked if vaping was allowed, they said no, stealth-vope, not a problem.
    I wouldn't be a martyr to the cause at all, but I do think the 'smell' issue is horseshït considering the deodorants, perfumes and farts generally wafting around every public place.
    Complaining about vape-odours is like complaining about an especially light potpourri.

you wouldnt say that if I was standing beside you smoking my US red mix diy :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Pungent? So's RY4, but surely that smokey-woody smell isn't enough to piss people off?
    Could I ask a customer to move if he's wearing Lynx?
    I find that smell pretty noxious, must badger some staff-member about it sometime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

I always ask, instead of assuming it's ok. Because it smells is probably the lamest excuse I've heard.

I know a lot of places in France don't allow it but not because it smells a bit, but because they're worried about other customers thinking it's ok to smoke on their premises, which is a fair point imo, especially in a bar/pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭theblueirish

Samba wrote: »
    I always ask, instead of assuming it's ok. Because it smells is probably the lamest excuse I've heard.

I know a lot of places in France don't allow it but not because it smells a bit, but because they're worried about other customers thinking it's ok to smoke on their premises, which is a fair point imo, especially in a bar/pub.

By chance I was in Frankfurt last night and a guy lit up a cig in the pub, when he was asked to leave he pointed to me the bar staff then showed them mine was an e-cig and he went outside.

asked in two pubs in dublin tonight and was allowed vape away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

sorry, misread vaping as something else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 256 ✭✭CJKeane

Stealth vaped all the way to Gran Canaria and back on Ryanair, godsend! Funnily enough when I landed in GC the flight attendants were causing some fuss about someone smoking on the plane as I was walking out the door. Needless to say I was bricking it until I saw that it wasn't me they were talking about. Turns out some dumbass was smoking in the toilets!

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭sept09baby

I think the fact I tend to stick to sweet or fruity juices helps. People don't seem to mind getting a whiff of apple or strawberry milkshake!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭have2flushtwice

what about vaping in work?
    are you allowed to vape in the canteen or office?! I wonder how the boss would take it.
    anyone do it yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Elbow

what about vaping in work?
    are you allowed to vape in the canteen or office?! I wonder how the boss would take it.
    anyone do it yet?

Currently sat in the office enjoying some strawberry milkshake :D

(The reason i'm on boards while sat in the office is......... ammmmmmmmm...... research purposes....... ya i'm researching work stuff! :o)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

I vape away in work. Me and one other guy in the office and he is ok with it. I always stealth vape in pubs and so on. I often think if I asked it would just give them the idea to say no since saying no is the easy answer. I was on a weekend in Amsterdam last year and had partaken of the local delicacy if you know what I mean (doesn't count as falling off the wagon imo) so later in a pub I was out of it and vaped openly and the barman says "you can't smoke in here". I told him it was an e-cig and after a brief pause he said he would get back to me and I never heard from him again.

sure haven't they banned tobacco altogether in coffee shops now?
    hardly falling off the wagon if there's none of that in there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

I tend to vape away in most situations as its not illegal and don't see why I should ask in most cases anyway, its not as if I'm smoking!

I was in a subway cafe recently and was vaping away and the girl who I knew to be the manager seen me and didn't bat an eyelid.

If I see people looking at me as if to say what the hell are you doing I may or may not give a quick explanation, especially in the pub but there's only so many times while trying to enjoy a pint that you can explain yourself to people!

The only place I was told to stop so far was in the outside grounds of the hospital where they have banned smoking. The security guard argued with me that I was smoking and he was calling the guards even after I explained what I was doing and kept vaping. I told him to get the guards if he wanted to but that I would sue for harassment if he did as there was nothing legally to say I couldn't vape there. I was visiting someone there for a few days after that and vaped every time I could and nothing was said to me again. In the same hospital there are sick and dying patients who now have to go down to the gate of the hospital even in the pissing rain for a smoke as they have taking away the smoking shelter but that's another argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

Although I might not agree with it 100%, I do fully understand the reasoning behind the smoking ban, but this latest step of some hospitals banning smoking from the whole grounds is a step too far. More damage then good will come from it.

On a side note. The smoking ban does not seem to have had the desired effect. My eldest daughter is 19, and although she does not smoke herself, nearly all her friends do - and they were "raised" during the smoking ban.

Advertisement