Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Account Opened in my name without consent

Options
  • 22-05-2012 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I just changed property recently and had to switch address' on my utility bills. I stayed with electric Ireland on the changeover and thought all was good. I received this months bill and found it to be extremely higher than usual. When I checked the itemised bill I found there was a "transferred balance" of €219. I rang up the ESB straight away to find out what this was. Apparently it was an outstanding bill for another property 6 years ago. Now the thing is I never had any bills in my name when I rented a room at this property and the bills are dated after I had lived there.

I explained the whole thing to the staff member on the phone and tried to find out what procedure I needed to go through to dispute the bill. I was more or less told that there was nothing I could do and it was tough look and I just had to pay it. The staff member was extremely rude and really did not care about what I had to say! I rang back the next day hoping to get another member of staff who could clarify the situation for me. Once again it was barked down the phone to me that there was nothing I could do about it. When I asked for the details of the account they said it had been set up over the phone and that there was no signatures. Another thing was that the bank account sort code was not the same as my own account. It was a different account to my current one. How can this be? Someone has set this up in my name unknowns to myself and the ESB have taken this as gospel and are now chasing me. They will not give me contact details of the landlord and will not give me any more information on the account. I have always paid my bills and they have records to prove that.

Has anyone been through this before or does anyone know what way I can dispute this. I am livid about this and there just seems to be too many holes in this situation.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi PaulC86,
    PaulC86 wrote:
    The staff member was extremely rude and really did not care about what I had to say! I rang back the next day hoping to get another member of staff who could clarify the situation for me. Once again it was barked down the phone to me that there was nothing I could do about it.
    I'm sorry to hear that this was your experience. If you can send me the following details via PM I can have this looked into immediately:
    • Your full name, address and the account number in question
    • Your contact number and date of birth for account security
    I will provide as much information as I can and if you wish I can lodge a complaint concerning the manner in which your query has thus far been handled.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks,

David.

Advertisement