Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to tell boss your pregnant?

Options
  • 22-05-2012 11:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭

Any ideas when would be the best time to tell work colleagues/boss? I am 14 weeks next week and will be finishing up at school next week. Should I tell before going on summer hols or wait until September? Any other teachers in the same situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

cb7 wrote: »
    Any ideas when would be the best time to tell work colleagues/boss? I am 14 weeks next week and will be finishing up at school next week. Should I tell before going on summer hols or wait until September? Any other teachers in the same situation?

not a teacher, but i dont see why you wouldnt tell your boss now..
    If you have had your first scan, and everything is well, then i would tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Also not a teacher but I think leaving it until september might be a bit late :) there should be something in your contract about how many weeks notice you need to give before going on maternity leave!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Legally you're only obliged to tell an employer four weeks before you're due to commence maternity leave. I wasn't in any rush to tell mine, as we only told family at 12 weeks and friends at 16 weeks. I wasn't showing and despite bad morning sickness didn't miss work, and don't work in a place that would be dangerous for a pregnant woman, so I told my boss at 20 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

I think it depends on circumstances. I have ended up telling employers at about 12-14 weeks both times, but that was because they were offering me a new role or job and I wanted to make sure that they had all the facts (and that I wasn't going to be thought to have tricked them or concealed relevant information).

The school is going to have to find someone to substitute for you so I think maybe you should let them know before you finish up, but at the end of the day, the statutory minimum is what it is.

Congratulations whatever you decide :)

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I told them at 14 weeks, but thats because I was starting to show already, and due to other medical issues, had ante-natal appointments much earlier than the norm, from 11 weeks, so had to let them know about time off.

My doctor did recommend telling a trusted colleague beforehand, which I did. (you never know if you faint or whatever at work it might be helpful for someone to know your current medical status)

If you work in a school setting, it would be nice I think to give them as much notice as possible to ensure your replacement is there in plenty of time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement