Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cottage Devon... Are his calves really all that?!

• 22-05-2012 11:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭

I used cottage Devon on a red lim Cow lastnight on my AI mans recommendation... I know he is a big bull, tall, wide and 21.4% calving diff but this cow fires everything out bang on 9 months!

Just usually I'd have steered clear of that kind of bull, I know he cost 24k, dream bull/ gone with ibr etc just wondered is it all hype or do people have smashers of calves out of him... Ive seen very few and definitely nothing super out of him

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭pajero12

Bodacious wrote: »
    I used cottage Devon on a red lim Cow lastnight on my AI mans recommendation... I know he is a big bull, tall, wide and 21.4% calving diff but this cow fires everything out bang on 9 months!

Just usually I'd have steered clear of that kind of bull, I know he cost 24k, dream bull/ gone with ibr etc just wondered is it all hype or do people have smashers of calves out of him... Ive seen very few and definitely nothing super out of him
    This lad is causing quite a stir among the pedigree breeders, his calving difficulty is definately in question, have seen heifers throw out his calves, Have 5 or 6 calves on the ground, are happy enough with them..suppose it all comes down to the cow you use him on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Well he has nearly 2,000 calves on the ground, so he's well tested by now. 22% of those calves had trouble calving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

the only thing consistant about him is his inconsistancy. Some calves came easy enough, then I heard of 65kg calves being born.

Some absolute smashers of calves and some very middling calves.

a real mixed bag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

the only thing consistant about him is his inconsistancy. Some calves came easy enough, then I heard of 65kg calves being born.

Some absolute smashers of calves and some very middling calves.

a real mixed bag

I've heard of huge c sections but have seen nothing spectacular , few mediocre white calves nothing special like , I asked for cf85 to be honest but he didn't have him . I used KIB last year on that cow and she a good calf so would have no issues using him again but nice to try a new combination too

Advertisement