Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dyslexia/ DARE

• 22-05-2012 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi, my 18year old son was diagnosed with Dyslexia the other day, he is due to sit his leaving cert in 2 weeks time. All during his school life he has been labelled as lazy and 'could try harder'. I cant believe the school as educators has failed him.
    A teacher was giving out to him and asked had he ever had a dyslexia test, then
    remarked that he'd be too lazy to do one.

I paid 500. Why was this not picked up in school. Also he is too late for the DARE programme the cut off was 1st April. He will get help if he gets to 3rd level but the problem is getting there.

ADVICE PLEASE..

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I would be really surprised if dyslexia qualifies you for DARE. I'm pretty sure you just get a spelling waver, which it might not be too late to get, you should look into it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭certifiedcrepe

Yes, dyslexia does qualify for DARE. I know this as I went to a meeting about it due to my significant ongoing illness. Hmm well he is definitely too late to get into college using DARE but nearly every college in Ireland has a separate centre for learning disabilities and SOI's and so on and so forth, and they provide HUGE help throughout college. You should contact the first 3 colleges he listed on his CAO and inform them of what happened and see if anything can be done, like if they can note his name when they receive his application. Hope this helped!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭meg3178

gaahurling wrote: »
    Hi, my 18year old son was diagnosed with Dyslexia the other day, he is due to sit his leaving cert in 2 weeks time. All during his school life he has been labelled as lazy and 'could try harder'. I cant believe the school as educators has failed him.
    A teacher was giving out to him and asked had he ever had a dyslexia test, then
    remarked that he'd be too lazy to do one.

I paid 500. Why was this not picked up in school. Also he is too late for the DARE programme the cut off was 1st April. He will get help if he gets to 3rd level but the problem is getting there.

ADVICE PLEASE..

Hi, I'm sorry your son was diagnosed so far into his education, it just proves how intelligent he is and how little notice his teachers took. Even though dyslexia can be hard to diagnose, there are signs that teachers are taught to look out for. I've sent you a link which will help towards his leaving cert exams and the school can implement immediately.
    http://www.dyslexia.ie/information/information-for-students/exam-accommodations-at-second-level/

Dare will take a late application if you contact them directly. Ring their helpline, then send an email with a copy of the diagnosis report attached and explain situation. They do try to help if they can.
    Here is the contact link:
    http://www.accesscollege.ie/dare/info.php

Once your son gets to college there are plenty of resources in place and he will feel more confident, as there are many students who receive the correct help. Good luck and wish your son the very best. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 gaahurling

many thanks for all your advise... I've kicked up a stink on his school and they
    are looking into it for me.. Also thank you for your links etc.. rgs

Hi, I've been informed that the DARE cutoff was 1st April and there are no appeals. He will get lots of help if he gets to 3rd level..... the struggle is getting him there.. Many thanks again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 GiveEmHellKid

Hi, I've been informed that the DARE cutoff was 1st April and there are no appeals. He will get lots of help if he gets to 3rd level..... the struggle is getting him there.. Many thanks again

Gee, that's terrible.... It's redicilious that our education system doesn't recognize problems like dyslexia earlier! Can you apply for late reasonable accommodation from the SEC on the grounds that you only had the test or is that allowed? I had the dyslexia tests done a few months ago. I have "dyslexic tendencies" but not enough to get me a reasonable accommodation. I was told that my horrible spelling and grammer wouldn't really bring me down that much and in my mocks it didn't that much. If he work's hard he'll be okay I'm sure.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

He can always apply for DARE next year - use the coming year to do all sorts of exciting/interesting things with no pressure.
    I'd be having serious words with a school that let a child with dyslexia go to 6th year without testing. Disgraceful.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Megamoo

Hey,Im doing the leaving this year and Im dyslexic aswell. I know how frustrating it can be having dyslexia and being labelled stupid or lazy does anyone know the likey hood of me getting accepted into the dare scheme and then how high would i need to score points wise to get a course at 520 ?

Leaving cert finished. But what to do. He reckons he got about 290 pts give or take 20 either way.
    The course he is looking for was 380 in 2011.

Should he

1. repeat L C and hopefully will pass Eng and French and take 2 new subject. Is that possible to do 2/3 completely new subjects in a year?

2. Use his 2012 points and re-apply to CAO in 2013 using these point and DARE. How much could DARE be worth?

3. Do a level 7 and hope to get into level 8 in time

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭Nicole.

2. Use his 2012 points and re-apply to CAO in 2013 using these point and DARE. How much could DARE be worth?

It depends on how many applications are made for the particular course using DARE. The applicants with the points closest to the standard points will get the course. There are about 5% of places reserved for people on DARE. Our career guidance teacher told us that a girl got psychology on 450 points one year using DARE.

• Advertisement

Thanks Nicole

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Siobhanmc68

What date can we expect the letters confirming whether or not our DARE applications have been successful ?

Advertisement