Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a diet allergy test...

Options
  • 22-05-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭

Hi there, apologies if I am in the wrong forum but I did see some stuff related to this below.

I am along time suffering with sneezing, itchy eyes, swollen sinuses, rhinitis etc....

I think it is about time I got my diet checked out. Can anybody recommend a good person in this area?. I am in Dublin.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SRos

Leslie91 wrote: »
    Hi there, apologies if I am in the wrong forum but I did see some stuff related to this below.

I am along time suffering with sneezing, itchy eyes, swollen sinuses, rhinitis etc....

I think it is about time I got my diet checked out. Can anybody recommend a good person in this area?. I am in Dublin.

I went to see Dr Paul Carson in Stillorgan. He did allery tests. They were expesnive - 250 EURO - but I could claim in on my tax and he has huge experience with all allergies so he is very reassuring. I went to visit him with my chronic sinusitis and he did many tests and scans. I have since separately found good products that have helped but Dr Carson is probably the best person in Ireland to visit for allergy tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭kangaroo

I did the York Test. I think I got tested for 113/similar foods/foodtypes. I have ME/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome rather than the sort of symptoms you have and was just hoping something one show up. The good thing was that I didn't have to pay any doctor/similar - you just pricked your fingers. The bad thing was that it was expensive (around E350, IIRC). And it didn't show up too much in my case: only a few at level 1 (mildest level), IIRC. Anyway, as well as (i) not having to pay a doctor, I liked (ii) the relative thoroughness of it, (iii) it told you the severity of the reaction (so you could be more strict with avoiding some foods/food types).

I'm sure if one googles it, one can get all the details.

I have no financial interest in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 SRos

Hi
    Great you found a test that worked for you. It's always hard to know what to do. My test showed I was allergic to nothing. I nearly felt cheated!
    I hope all goes well with your ME - sorry you have it. My brother does too so any advice you have will be appreciated and passed on
    All the best
    S

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Do a systematic removal of specific foods from your diet for a week .Each in turn .Start with a list .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Most effective way is to eat only pears and rice and drink only spring water for two weeks. Then introduce one food and one food only. If no ill effects, add another, with a week between the additions.

You will feel worse during the first two weeks and that is said to be a good sign

I did that years ago re M/E and learned only what I already knew re my own food sensitivities. But it was interesting and a test of will power.

NB in eg Japan, the most common problems are with rice and cod. Here it is wheat and dairy. ie what as a nation we eat most of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,017 ✭✭✭Leslie91

Thanks all for the advice... really appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

My wife is asthmatic and we have done pretty much every test possible.

Dr. Bruce something or other in Blackrock Clinic is supposedly the top guy. Wife did the food one with him (not cheap at all!!) as well as chemical one and one other one. We spent a lot of money and did not feel like we had gained much at the end of it - he more or less said nothing could be done.

She since went to a consultant in the Beacon, whose name I cannot remember, who did another set of tests (bloods of some sort) and these narrowed it down much much more and he provided a fairly solid roadmap in terms of treatment. PM me if you want his name.

Advertisement