Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To seed or not to seed

Options
  • 22-05-2012 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭

Im in the middle of doing up my back garden, I have the soil raked and level and rolled, I ve left it for 3 weeks now ive loads of small weeds like shamrock but with only 2 leaves, Now i need to know should i plant the grass seed and then treat the weeds when the grass has growen or will i put down weed killer now,
    any help would be great thanks:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Don't use weed killer, just hoe lightly and that will take care of them. You will get lots of weeds anyway once you sow your seed. There are literally thousands in a patch of bare soil and more floating in all the time. Sow your seed and then wait till it is old enough to treat the lawn with weed killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭ronn

Thanks redser,
    how long would you recommend to leave it before i treat the weeds, (after the 1st cut), What sort of weed killer would i use,:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

It would depend on the product you use to be honest. It would usually say on the back of the bottle for new lawns. Take a look at the ranges available at a garden centre. You could even try a feed and weed like Evergreen. If you sow now it could be late July maybe? Dilute it a bit more than recommended as you dont want too strong growth going on as autumn approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭LaChatteGitane

Most weeds will dissappear with regular mowing anyway. Remove weeds now, sow your grass and leave it until long enough to mow. Don't use weed killers, if it can be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭blackharvester

you can use weedkiller now but then you have to wait at least 3 weeks before seeding grass. if you going to seed grass now, try to remove as much weeds as passible. i think you cant use feed and weed fertilazer for new lawn ( lawn has to be at least one year old)

• Advertisement
Advertisement