Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy-handed moderation in the Psychology Forum

Options
  • 22-05-2012 12:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

I have tried to discuss this with the moderators over PM but we couldn't reach an agreement and I have been handed an infraction for [URL="I don't think you're getting this: INVOLUNTARY ADMISSION occurs in this country, however infrequent. the Mental Health Act 2001 stipulates the conditions under which it should occur. What is the problem discussing this?! "It is highly doubtful the current law would withstand scrutiny under the European Convention on Human Rights." It would appear the issue is not quite cut and dried at all! Thoughts on the article anyone?"]this post[/URL].

Firstly, this is clearly not a case of backseat moderation as claimed by JuliusCaesar; I have not told any members or even the moderators how they should be posting.
    We are not talking about the medicalisation of behaviour in this thread. The topic is the involuntary incarceration of people in psychiatric units.
    And in response to this:
    Does ANYONE follow links in this forum?
    Mental Health Act 2001
    I posted:
    Valmont wrote:
    I don't think you're getting this: INVOLUNTARY ADMISSION occurs in this country, however infrequent. the Mental Health Act 2001 stipulates the conditions under which it should occur. What is the problem discussing this?!

"It is highly doubtful the current law would withstand scrutiny under the European Convention on Human Rights."

It would appear the issue is not quite cut and dried at all! Thoughts on the article anyone?
    I directly addressed the topic of the thread as specified by the moderator and was infracted for backseat moderation; this does not make sense. When I said "What is the problem discussing this" I was referring to JuliusCaesar's complaint as a poster that 'nobody follows links' in this forum. I feel the discussion in this thread has been cut short due to the personal intolerance of the moderators to the issues therein; demanding 'facts' and 'research' for what is a political and ethical issue. JC explained her reasoning to me on this and I concur, the actual figures on the number of admissions could definitely help the debate; why didn't JC say this in the forum instead of handing out Red and Yellow cards?

The forum charter explicitly states:
    i will allow general discussion of mental illness from a psychological point of view

Involuntary medical hospitalisation of mentally ill people occurs in this country - this is a fact - but the OP was infracted for apparently not providing accurate and up-to-date reports on the numbers. I believe that the moderators do not like threads critical of their field of work -- which would be fine, if they engaged as posters instead of infracting as moderators.

The psychology forum is relatively quiet and I think such heavy-handed moderation ruined what could have otherwise been a lively and contentious debate -- sending a message that dissent against the HSE and the institution of mental health will not be tolerated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

Reading back over this I don't want to waste anyone's time, I have other things I want to discuss in the forum -- can this thread be deleted? Looking over some of these other issues, I think I'll live with my slight outrage concerning the thread in question. The psychology forum is trouble free 99.9% of the time anyway.

Valmont

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement