Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

LOI: FAI Ford Cup (SECOND ROUND): Fixtures 25-27 May 2012

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Cup weekend.

No league games until Friday 1st June and then a month's break during which some minor tournament - the name of which escapes me - is on.

Fixtures with no venue mean that I couldn't find where it is to be played or it hasn't been decided yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

Sick of playing Monaghan in the cups.

edolan wrote: »

Woeful crowd up there last night even though it's an OK set-up. I don't know how they do it.

OMG LOOK EVERTON ARE IN THE LEAGUE OF IRELAND CUP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

stovelid wrote: »
    Woeful crowd up there last night even though it's an OK set-up. I don't know how they do it.
    Love it as an away trip. All grounds should have a bar inside.

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Love it as an away trip. All grounds should have a bar inside.

With pints that cost 3.70 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

With pints that cost 3.70 :)
    Robbery! €3.50 in the Lilywhite Lounge. Also there is the added bonus of listening to the soothing dulcet tones of the locals.

Still trying to get my head around last nights result against Pats. Makes absolutely no sense. Football is a ridiculous game at times. Delighted for the team after last weeks fiasco against Mons.

Up against St Pats CY on Friday night. Don't know anything about them to be honest but hopefully they'll bring a few fans up and enjoy our cheap delicious pints of Harp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

edolan wrote: »

We are more sick of playing ye tbf

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Limerick. Dodgy game..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Ah the excitement of seeing which of our best players will be dropped for an average First Division level player this week.

dfx- wrote: »
    Limerick. Dodgy game..

Rodderick last night. Scully on Friday.

Plus MON at Gortakeegan last night. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Has to be Pats year.

6/1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Missing Bray away due to work! Meant to be a cracking day too...:(

Any idea how much it's in to Richmond on Sunday? Might pop down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,261 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Isn't the Wanderers game on the telly? 7.05pm, IIRC.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,080 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Pighead wrote: »
    Robbery! €3.50 in the Lilywhite Lounge. Also there is the added bonus of listening to the soothing dulcet tones of the locals.

Still trying to get my head around last nights result against Pats. Makes absolutely no sense. Football is a ridiculous game at times. Delighted for the team after last weeks fiasco against Mons.

Up against St Pats CY on Friday night. Don't know anything about them to be honest but hopefully they'll bring a few fans up and enjoy our cheap delicious pints of Harp.

Ever do an away trip up here to Derry?

You'll not believe the price you can get some beer at.;)

Getting back to the football, another bye for us v Finn Harps!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭malcolmplex

Last time de Town played in Frank Cooke Park,in the cup,we went on to win it.Great set up there,looking forward to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Missing another match due to finishing work too late. Least its on the telly though, will be a whole new experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Crumlin United vs St. Patrick's Athletic (12PM) - Richmond Park

KO is 3pm

mon dogs

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Mushy wrote: »
    Missing another match due to finishing work too late. Least its on the telly though, will be a whole new experience.

Was all looking forward to this until I was reminded yesterday that it had been moved to tv. A few other Shels fans I know who were thinking of going will now not be due to the kick off time being too early and a good chance of missing kick off because of work. Do the teams involved get anything off RTE for showing the game live?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Plus MON at Gortakeegan last night. :)

Was he? Big Dec was telling everyone, but no-one else saw him..

Longford are able to challenge Limerick, Finn Harps nearly beat them..did Waterford? So they can be got at by weaker squads so you would think it's a good game to have, but it's all down to who wants it more..a replay would not be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Tis, RTE Player shall be on my phone in work to give track. :D
    dreamers75 wrote: »
    KO is 3pm

Any idea how much it's in?
    dan1895 wrote: »
    Do the teams involved get anything off RTE for showing the game live?

Nothing afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭edolan

We are more sick of playing ye tbf

I'd say ye are alright, must be fixed at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Tis, RTE Player shall be on my phone in work to give track. :D
    KO is 3pm

Do the teams involved get anything off RTE for showing the game live?

Nothing afaik.
    Then whats the point as the kick off time means the crowd will probably be down a fair bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,501 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Then whats the point as the kick off time means the crowd will probably be down a fair bit.

So the Late Late show can be on at the usual time I'd say, knowing RTÉ. Scandalous if the clubs don't get anything from it. Shels would bring a decent crowd too, so its not good for Bray really.

dfx- wrote: »

Was he? Big Dec was telling everyone, but no-one else saw him..

Yeah, he was sitting down where the Mons supporters were in the stand. He must have just dropped over to watch the game as I can't see why else he would be there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Mushy wrote: »
    So the Late Late show can be on at the usual time I'd say, knowing RTÉ. Scandalous if the clubs don't get anything from it. Shels would bring a decent crowd too, so its not good for Bray really.

Not good for either club with the gate being split. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

It's looking increasingly likely that I'll make this one.

€15 Cup game so gate is split, they opted for sunday as they have a game on thursday? or a player has a wedding not sure.

• Advertisement

Crisis deepening in Oriel Park. Players were brought into a meeting today and told they wouldn't be getting paid this week. Worrying times for Dundalk fans.

Crisis deepening in Oriel Park. Players were brought into a meeting today and told they wouldn't be getting paid this week. Worrying times for Dundalk fans.

Where do the financial problems stem from? Low expenditure, reasonable income surely?

Is it because of that insurance payout youse are waiting on?

Hope youse pull through it. Nobody wants to see another club in trouble.

CSF wrote: »
    Where do the financial problems stem from? Low expenditure, reasonable income surely?

Fans boycotting matches apparently, 23 of them witnessed their victory the other night. Altho we were unsure of one lad with a blue jacket on it.

Normally they bring a fair few hundred down and its classed as a grade A game.

Fans boycotting matches apparently, 23 of them witnessed their victory the other night. Altho we were unsure of one lad with a blue jacket on it.

What a joke.

I'd say the team the fist year or two they came up cost a bit as well. A few of the usual suspects in there.

• Advertisement

CSF wrote: »
    Sponsorship down, season ticket sales down, match attendances down. The fact the few times we've played well this season have all been away hasn't helped. We've been dismal at home and the crowds have stopped coming.
    Is it because of that insurance payout youse are waiting on?
    Yeah. They were relying on that to pay wages for the next few months but the insurance company don't want to pay out. Not entirely sure why but I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact the astro turf that went on fire was being stored outside the ground.

The Dundalk Trust (Group of hardcore Dundalk fans) have been waiting for a chance to take over the club for a while now and it's looking as though they may get that chance sooner rather than later.

The Dundalk Trust (Group of hardcore Dundalk fans) have been waiting for a chance to take over the club for a while now and it's looking as though they may get that chance sooner rather than later.

Could be way forward for yis...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

Good. Have they spoken to Supporters Direct or anyone?

CiaranC wrote: »
    I don't know to be honest. I do know that they do a hell of a lot of god work for the club (website and programmes etc) and have raised over a hundred grand since 2010 which has gone towards our yearly budget.

They had representation on the board up until April but stepped down as it wasn't working out. They spoke with the owner a few months back with the intention of a takeover but those talks ultimately failed however it looks like they may be going in again. Here's a tweet from the trust from this evening.

Dundalk FC Trust ‏@DundalkFCTrust
    #DundalkFC Sounds like there's no money to pay the players. How hard is prudent budgeting? Is this the end of the road. No - an opportunity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

I don't know to be honest. I do know that they do a hell of a lot of god work for the club (website and programmes etc) and have raised over a hundred grand since 2010 which has gone towards our yearly budget.

They had representation on the board up until April but stepped down as it wasn't working out. They spoke with the owner a few months back with the intention of a takeover but those talks ultimately failed however it looks like they may be going in again. Here's a tweet from the trust from this evening.

Dundalk FC Trust ‏@DundalkFCTrust
    #DundalkFC Sounds like there's no money to pay the players. How hard is prudent budgeting? Is this the end of the road. No - an opportunity?

If you know them and they havent already, tell them to put in a call to Jonathon Roche at Rovers for a chat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

CiaranC wrote: »

The trust have been in contact with supporters direct and FORAS as far as I know and have had plenty of meetings.

I'm still in shock as up to this season we seemed like we were being run properly. I attended a meeting with Gerry Mathews and Paul Johnston about a month ago and was told there was no money to pay the players the following week. Sponsorship has dropped to critical levels. For example a couple of years ago when we were playing in Europe we had every player in the squad and coaches sponsored twice. Now we have 5 or 6 sponsored. All games, match balls were sponsored. Now we are relying on fan groups to sponsor these.

The straw that broke the camel's back was giving McCaffrey €6100 a week to sign rubbish players mixed with decent youths with the hope of developing and building a team. Who wants to go and watch their team being beaten at home against weak Bohs, Bray and Monaghan teams? Quite often without even putting up a fight. We have now hit our lowest crowds in about 10 years. A lot of it is down to the manager but more is down to whoever sanctioned his appointment and budget.

If we can't pay players we should be hit with a point deduction. It's not fair on teams like UCD that play by the rules if we were to finish in front of them.

The only silver lining is we are relatively debt free.

Could be way forward for yis...

Unfortunately I don't think it is. I don't think a fans group will work in Dundalk without an investor(s) coming on board as a partner. There isn't enough fans in Dundalk willing to put their hands in their pockets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

6100 a week?! That seems insane considering the squad you have.

doncarlos wrote: »
    The straw that broke the camel's back was giving McCaffrey €6100 a week to sign rubbish players mixed with decent youths with the hope of developing and building a team.
    Hard to know who is telling the truth but McCaffrey claims that figure is wrong and his actual weekly budget is in the region of €4000. He also claimed that he's getting less than a quarter of what Ian Foster was getting a week (around €1000 a week)

6100 a week?! That seems insane considering the squad you have.

It is insane. Board took a gamble on McCaffrey's ability and he has wasted the budget on players that are not good enough.
    Hard to know who is telling the truth but McCaffrey claims that figure is wrong and his actual weekly budget is in the region of €4000. He also claimed that he's getting less than a quarter of what Ian Foster was getting a week (around €1000 a week)

He has said his budget is 6k, but you are right about him saying he was on a quarter of what Foster was on but that includes perks like car and house that Foster got.

doncarlos wrote: »
    He has said his budget is 6k.
    Ah right. Thought he said the budget was halved from last season which would have left it around the 4K mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

Des wrote: »
    It's looking increasingly likely that I'll make this one.

thats not a good thing at the moment Des :(

why?:confused:

Des wrote: »
    why?:confused:
    I'm guessing he's implying Shels aren't doing too well of late having lost four of their last six games.

I'm guessing he's implying Shels aren't doing too well of late having lost four of their last six games.

Oh right.

Wouldn't really bother me too much, a decent cup run is something I hope we have, but I want to finish clear of relegation in the league, and no-where near the Euro places thanks very much.

Also, trips to Bray are always decent, AND I can visit my new wife's parents while I'm at it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement