Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this dresss appropriate for a wedding?

• 22-05-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭

So sorry for yet another “is this dress appropriate for a wedding” thread, but I would like your opinions.

http://www.karenmillen.com/Lace-and-embroidery-dres/Dresses/karenmillen/fcp-product/903000057898

I kind of already know the answer to this (no!). Have been looking for a dress and nothing’s really caught my eye except this one. Would really like to buy it as I’d get wear out of for other occasions, unlike other dresses I’ve seen.

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

Well it's a lovely dress, but white is traditionally not a colour that you should wear to a wedding... I don't know if people still think like that but it depends on how traditional the wedding is likely to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 281 ✭✭Maglight

I think it would be fine. It's a lovely dress. Maybe add a light coat or jacket in grey to match the embroidery and make it less bridal in colour.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

It looks very short, be sure you'll be able to sit in it without flashing too much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

its lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,281 ✭✭✭Valentina

Personally I don't feel it's too white and if you can play up the bluey/silver detail with the right accessories, it could be really nice.

But it does look a bit short and if you can't dress it up right it could look a bit bridal...

I guess it's up to you if you feel comfortable in it and you can accessorise it right and you reckon you'll get plenty of wear out of it then why not?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

I think its too "white". Its the one day where a bride can stand out from everyone else and for me that means wearing nothing in a similar shade but its a lovely dress:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

I personally think it's a bit short but then again it all depends on your height, the type of wedding it is etc.

Also it looks quite white in the pictures of the model - do you think the bride would be bothered by this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Looks to me to be too short to be worn anywhere, nevermind a wedding!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

That's a gorgeous dress! I don't think it looks that much shorter than many dresses. If you added a bit of colour - blazer, scarf, shoes, clutch - then it would take away from the white aspect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Honest answer,No. It is far too short and white to wear at a wedding. Also €250 I think is a complete rip off of a price for that dress.

Just my opinion though

It is a lovely dress, and I know people like to look their best at weddings. But to be honest OP, it's primarily white, and it's short, and I'd say that for the sake of it only being one day, dedicated to the couple, find something else.

From what I've seen at weddings, and what I've seen on this forum, there will probably be plenty of women at the wedding in short white dresses, but in my personal opinion it's respectful to the bride and the occasion to steer away from that colour and length. That's just me though.

Are you not meant to wear short skirts for weddings? :confused: That's a new one on me. Last half dozen weddings I was at there were plenty of girls (in their 20s) wearing dresses about this length.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Malari wrote: »
    Are you not meant to wear short skirts for weddings? :confused: That's a new one on me. Last half dozen weddings I was at there were plenty of girls (in their 20s) wearing dresses about this length.

Personally I think a wedding is quite a formal occasion and should be treated as such. I don't think short skirts are appropriate but that's just my personal opinion. It depends on the type of wedding it is as well.

Well it depends on what you mean by "not meant to". If you mean is it traditionally acceptable - no you're meant to dress a bit more conservatively than usual in a church (although I think I'd feel the same even if it wasn't in a church). If you mean do loads of people do it anyway - yeah they do.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

I think short is fine, so long as you can sit modestly in the church and at the dinner table. No one wants to be able to see up your skirt! If it is too short, you don't want to spend the evening fussing with it, pulling it down, worrying you're showing too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 900 ✭✭✭jadie

I think its a nice dress, a little short but again depends on how tall you are.

I have noticed people in general in the last few years wearing very short and lowcut dresses at weddings, more suited to a nightclub really and of course the fake tan trowled on.

Yeah, I guess I've never really thought about the short dress thing! I take a wedding as an opportunity to wear something a little more fancy and formal than I'd usually wear, so thinking back, my dresses were all knee-length or longer.

I wore white pants to a wedding afters a few years ago. Hope that wasn't frowned upon :o I honestly never even thought of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

cutty9 If you have nothing helpful to add, then please refrain from posting.

dudara

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cutty9

sorry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭DebDynamite

Thanks for your opinions. I thought alright it was too white, but I was surprised it was considered too short by some of you :o I honestly never knew dress aboce the knee weren't approriate for weddings. That's me told now!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

Lovely dress OP, I personally think think it is too short or too white.

I always find models in those pics tend to be tall 5'8 and taller, so if you weren't that tall, you could get away with it. Mind you, if you are wearing heels and you are tall it would be quite short.

Personally I don't see anything wrong with wearing a dress that's 1-2 inches above your knees to a wedding, but everyone is different I suppose.

Advertisement