Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price for making lawn 160sq m

Options
  • 22-05-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭

I have a 40m * 40m bog at the back of the house I want to grass over. Have had a quote from a guy who will put 5 drains in (area is square btw) then a layer of pencil then a layer of topsoil.
    Basically:

Anyway, his quote seemed huge so I decided to call around for material prices etc. My question is how much pencil & topsoil would I need for the area? Also if anyone had their own opinion on what the price should be that would be great.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

:confused: when you jump up and down in the bog, how far do you sink? oh but wait a sec, I don't know how much you weigh, so that i can use this method to calculate how much fill and top-soil is required:rolleyes:

get a minimum of 2 more guys ON-SITE to tender for this and then you can compare 3 quotes;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,736 ✭✭✭ch750536

Yep, I did that. They varied by €4000. Have had 4 quotes, 2 silly expensive & 2 silly cheap. I don't have confidence in the silly cheap.
    So is there no way for a non building person to calculate how much pencil is needed to cover 160 sq m for example.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

ch750536 wrote: »
    Yep, I did that. They varied by €4000. Have had 4 quotes, 2 silly expensive & 2 silly cheap. I don't have confidence in the silly cheap.
    So is there no way for a non building person to calculate how much pencil is needed to cover 160 sq m for example.
    invite a civil engineer to site for an hour ( prior to the visit have the soil opened/ hole dug, preferably in a number of places, so that the conditions can be assessed)

perhaps what you need to do is work out the proposed depth of drains/ how long they will take a JCB & driver, cost of fuel, then the amount/cost of the shale fill, then depth/amount/cost of the top soil + delivery & any access issues and the amount of days labour for say two men to rotavate, level the lawn, rake the stones, compact, sow the seed and compact again...

Advertisement