Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No phoneline - options for broadband in Connemara?

• 22-05-2012 1:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭

Hey Guys,
    I currently have 02's Dongle wth 5Gb allowance (per €20) and although it worked pretty good elsewhere since moving to Spiddal I can only surf. Youtube takes 10+ minutes to load a song etc.. So I'm looking for a better option. I'm renting and have a 6 month lease so a 12 month contract and phoneline are not an option.

I was looking at Three's Broadband Here as someone just told me about it yesterday. Has anyone used this? 20mb with an allowance of 60Gb €30 a month. Seems like a good deal!

Is there anything else like this out there from the other phone companies? I'm looking to get the fastest possible. And also if anyone has experience with coverage in Connemara please do share!

Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

No mobile anything out there since they took the mast down last year. Try Airwire.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Not sure what your usage is, whether you watch tv shows/movies online or download much but if you do, a 60gb allowance is very small.

He has 5Gb so it is big. O2 have the best coverage in Spiddal nowadays and if they don't work then nothing else will bar a phone line or fixed wireless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Cathalog

Depends how far you live from the town. My iPhone uses 3's network and I get 4-5 bars in Spiddal town.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    No mobile anything out there since they took the mast down last year. Try Airwire.

They put it back up AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

He has 5Gb so it is big. O2 have the best coverage in Spiddal nowadays and if they don't work then nothing else will bar a phone line or fixed wireless.

Not necessarily. That's why I said "not sure what your usage is". It's fair to assume that if he currently has a 5gb allowance then he doesn't have a huge usage but maybe he is switching so he can avail of a larger allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Flynn

thanks for the reply's guys. Yes i'm looking for maximum usage and 5 - 60 is a big jump so i think i'd be happy enough with that... considering where i live.
    Really? 02 has the best coverage? I actually get 4 or 5 bars on the dongle all the time like i do elsewhere but it's just so slow. The same bars elsewhere at least lets me stream youtube (to an extent) but for some reason it won;t work here.
    I live on the main street btw. Hmm guess i'll have to wait till my lease is up and i move closer to the city :( !

eircom/emobile are doing a half price 'unlimited' deal and that should work in the village itself. It is this package using a voucher/code from this thread.

As always with mobile midband packages you should get a prepay sim and test it at your location.

Don't move out of the village though, the signal either side of it along the main road is cack nowadays.

15Gb and all yer calls for €34.50 a month.

Don't move out of the village though, the signal either side of it along the main road is cack nowadays.

So true. I get 1 3G bar at home sometimes. And if I'm lucky I get 2. It's basically unusable.

That satellite broadband looked absolutely rubbish when I looked at it. Your usage was capped to very low limits..
    Maybe things have changed in the past 6 or so months though.

Nope. the biggest Sat up there ( Ka Sat) has less bandwidth available for all of Ireland ( c.900mbits <1gbit) than eircom does in the local Spiddal exchange (1gbit) today.

Other sats share sub 100mbits across the whole of Ireland. Satellite will always be complete cack. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement