Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking music too seriously

• 22-05-2012 2:04pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Do you take music too seriously or do you know anyone who does.

When these sort of people ask what sort of music Im into I say I don't like music to their bewilderment.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Seems to be a general teenagery/early-mid 20's thing - then most grow some cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

When these sort of people ask what sort of music Im into I say I don't like music to their bewilderment.

How can you not like music? That's pretty weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i dont, although i love music, play a few instruments and am in a band(yeah, i'm a rockstar) but i know a few people that will argue to death which bands are better and other shite like that. music is relative.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

how can you not like music? its such a broad medium there has to be something you enjoy listening to, its like saying you dont like books or movies. specific types of music yeah, but the entire medium? thats mad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Not liking music is weird. I love music but wouldnt judge others too much. Not liking music at all is very odd.
    I dont find music type snobs nearly as bad as soccer fans. As soon as you say you dont follow it you might as well not exist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Seems to be a general teenagery/early-mid 20's thing - then most grow some cop on.

Yeah you are dead right.

I can't wait until I approach 30 and cop the hell on and stop listening to decent music and start buying Lady Ga Ga and stuff like that, it's going to be great.

Sky King wrote: »
    Yeah you are dead right.

I can't wait until I approach 30 and cop the hell on and stop listening to decent music and start buying Lady Ga Ga and stuff like that, it's going to be great.

Yeah coz that is EXACTLY what I said. :rolleyes:
    Maybe you'll learn to read what is written when you hit 30 too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

I like music, I just like to see their reaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Useful.Idiot

I don't think there is such a thing as taking music TOO seriously. Music is one of the most important things in my life and I believe that I would have had a much lesser life if I didn't listen to music at all. It confounds me when people say they don't listen to or enjoy music. I can't go a day without music and I will love it until the grave!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

As the first comment under this says...."Music heals"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Yeah coz that is EXACTLY what I said. :rolleyes:
    Maybe you'll learn to read what is written when you hit 30 too.

Tell me how you grow some cop on when you reach your mid 20's so?

I'd like to be aware of it when it starts to happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

This question often amuses me. Why do I have to pick a particular type of music to like ? Usually I answer with - I like good music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Well jazz was never my bag till I heard a barn burner on an air-check and that was the bomb. Now I listen to balloon lungs Bose bouncing all night long and thats real gone man.
    Hip?
    Cool. :)

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

You call it copping on, I call it learning to be OK with boredom and routine.

I fcuking love music.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm really into music, my music, good music.
    Other people's taste in music is crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Yeah you are dead right.

That's what I did after 30 (I'm 32). Far less pretentiousness and snobbery. Big fan of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. Better than **** moaning about the Beatles being the only good band ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

As someone said music snobbery is silly alright.

But to suggest that being really into music is a phase you grow out of is equally dumb.

I am music obssessed. It is extremely important in my life.

I am utterly uninterested in sport as it happens - should everyone over the age of 30 who will be following the olympics cop themselves on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I take it very seriously as in I love it and listen to it all the time.

Being, however, over the age of 20 means that I don't really care what other people listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I like music. Oh, yeah. I like all the bands. I’ve got a broad taste, you know. From the Britpop bands like UB40, Def Leppard, right back to classic rock, like Wings, who are only the band The Beatles could have been :cool:

Tell me how you grow some cop on when you reach your mid 20's so?

I'd like to be aware of it when it starts to happen!

Not really sure.
    Just noticed it - the music snobbery just seems to abate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

I don't think there is such a thing as taking music TOO seriously. Music is one of the most important things in my life and I believe that I would have had a much lesser life if I didn't listen to music at all. It confounds me when people say they don't listen to or enjoy music. I can't go a day without music and I will love it until the grave!

Agreed music can be emotional and powerful.

Your post reminded me of the scene in equilibrium when he hears music for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 LordAlf

i think what flutterflye means by saying cop on is not that you will start liking different music, but you won't let it keep defining yourself and you realise that its just music.

music is great and all but a lot of people like to use it as a way of elevating themselves above others. people like doing that, they like making out that the thing they are really into is more important then other arts etc. a lot of people need this as they are never really truly comfortable with who they are

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Confab wrote: »
    That's what I did after 30 (I'm 32). Far less pretentiousness and snobbery. Big fan of Lady Gaga and Katy Perry. Better than **** moaning about the Beatles being the only good band ever.

In fairness, anyone who wants to be considered a music snob and can only come up with The Beatles for "Best Band Ever" needs to rethink things a bit.

The more obscure and unknown the better for that kind of answer. Let the world know that you know secrets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Domo230 wrote: »
    Few things piss me off more than music snobbery.

"Oh how can you like pop/Metal/R&B/Elevator music/Justin Bieber. You should like these noises instead"

No I shouldn't. Maybe my brain receives pleasure from listening to a different type of music than you. Your music isn't better if I don't feel anything from it.

I've had a lot of fun drinking cans and arguing about this type of thing with my friends. I have a friend who recently went to see Pink, we take the piss out of him over it, it doesn't mean anything. In a lot of cases slagging the type of music you're into is just a way to initiate some friendly banter. Conversations that revolve around repeatedly saying how much we respect each others opinions don't sound like half as much fun tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Oasis or Blur?

Oasis, no wait Blur, I mean Oasis.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

When people ask me what type of music Im into ,,,,,,,, actually no , nobody ever does that , suppose Im just the type of person people couldnt care about enough to ask.
    Id probably say something cool like "greatest hits albums, any artist you want their greatest hits album will be listenable most normal albums have filler on them". Then they would rejoice and want to be my friend . Until then I shall sit here playing a basic version of hotel california on my acoustic and give the big come ask me a question eyes.

mackg wrote: »
    I've had a lot of fun drinking cans and arguing about this type of thing with my friends. I have a friend who recently went to see Pink, we take the piss out of him over it, it doesn't mean anything. In a lot of cases slagging the type of music you're into is just a way to initiate some friendly banter. Conversations that revolve around repeatedly saying how much we respect each others opinions don't sound like half as much fun tbh.

Indeed, I tend to view music snobbery as being more of a response based thing than what people actually listen to.

I'd consider anyone who gets overly defensive about what they listen to as being a music snob...but then again I guess that is based in the fact that I am involved in the electronic music scene where a lot of people have this weird mix of aggressive/defensive arguing about music. They always seem to mix defending there own choices with running down others.

Just listen to what you like, who gives a **** at the end of the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Don't make fun of Skrillex/Deadmau5 otherwise you will have a mob of angry fanboys come after you insisting that they are the best artists to have ever been born.

Caliden wrote: »
    Don't make fun of Skrillex/Deadmau5 otherwise you will have a mob of angry fanboys come after you insisting that they are the best artists to have ever been born.

lol, winding up their fanboys is the best thing ever though.:D

• Advertisement

Caliden wrote: »

I never have been able to get into Deadmau5. Lyrical content overall is more important to me, which is why Scroobius Pip is way up there.

I absolutely HATE when people say "There is no good music anymore". There is some absolutely fantastic music coming out in the last 10 years in all genre's, yet people insist that there has been no great music since the 70's, which is just patently stupid.

"There is no good music anymore"

Indeed.

How people can't find music they like in the age of the internet is ****ing beyond me.

I never have been able to get into Deadmau5. Lyrical content overall is more important to me, which is why Scroobius Pip is way up there.

I absolutely HATE when people say "There is no good music anymore". There is some absolutely fantastic music coming out in the last 10 years in all genre's, yet people insist that there has been no great music since the 70's, which is just patently stupid.

you say that but the current environemt wont allow for another Queen, Led Zep, Pink floyd etc. there is good music, you are right there, but no truly great music

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

what does that even mean? I mean I never get into fist fights arguing about which one of beethovens piano sonatas are the best but I do play instruments and listen to a lot of music and like having indepth conversations about it.

If you ask me most people dont take it seriously enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

LordAlf wrote: »
    you say that but the current environemt wont allow for another Queen, Led Zep, Pink floyd etc. there is good music, you are right there, but no truly great music

great music will always exist, just at different times will be found in different genres and sometimes harder to come across.

No, the current MARKET won't allow for Queen, Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. But there is some really truly great music out there.

Off the top of my head, Scroobius Pip v Dan le Sac, Frank Turner, The Donots, Chuck Ragan.

Remember the primary reason that Queen were loved was because they were great entertainers, they were never the best in the world with lyrics or music, but they put on a really truly great show.

And nowadays there are a lot of bands out there putting on really great shows who are just as good, and in some cases better than the bands mentioned.

And besides, why would the current environment allow for Queen? There was one band called Queen already and they were great, we don't need a carbon copy we need new something to define our own era of music, preferrably from a label whose A & R men aren't just empty shells of suits and actually love music.

Essentially what you are doing is living for the past and not embracing or finding the great music that is out there now. I'm not even specifically on about the music I love, but in general there is a lot of great music. In 20 years we will look back and have sifted through the crap to have the great music rise in peoples mind even though they don't know about it now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

I don't take music seriously. But these people should be hung, drawn and quartered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Popular definition of "Music snob" on Boards: "Someone who has the audacity not to like the music I like"... as opposed to, you know, having their own personal preference.

It also means "People who don't listen to down-to-earth music like Oasis and U2".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

No, the current MARKET won't allow for Queen, Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd. But there is some really truly great music out there.

Off the top of my head, Scroobius Pip v Dan le Sac, Frank Turner, The Donots, Chuck Ragan.

Remember the primary reason that Queen were loved was because they were great entertainers, they were never the best in the world with lyrics or music, but they put on a really truly great show.

And nowadays there are a lot of bands out there putting on really great shows who are just as good, and in some cases better than the bands mentioned.

Queen were fruckin awesome man , who are your sources . Brian May and Freddie are both widely regarded as some of the best people in the world at what they do . The fact Fred was one of the greatest frontmen of all time just adds to their awesomeness it2 doesnt take away from their talent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

There is loads of great music out there. I lay a lot of blame on the state of Irish radio. There are few good shows for people who dont want to listen to chart stuff.
    I started listening to digital radio and its a god send for hearing great bands I didnt know about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

^^^

And so it starts...

I've always told myself that the best music is something you have never heard before, and I'm usually right.

Never happier than when I come away from a festival with a new band.

• Advertisement

cloptrop wrote: »
    Queen were fruckin awesome man , who are your sources . Brian May and Freddie are both widely regarded as some of the best people in the world at what they do . The fact Fred was one of the greatest frontmen of all time just adds to their awesomeness it2 doesnt take away from their talent.

I know they were awesome, and I will argue it's primarily because of the entertainment they could provide. If you were to watch them playing Somebody to Love (incidentally one of my favourite songs ever) and they just stood stock still going through the motions, they would never have had the following they had.

They did music best, Entertainment > Art, but is it's own form of art. So great songs with the entertainment value they provided, they were one of the greatest bands to ever exist. But it was not primarily their musical ability that made them great.

MadsL wrote: »
    Never happier than when I come away from a festival with a new band.
    Durty :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I know what I like, and what I don't like.

I refuse to listen to ****e I don't like. If this makes me a snob, f**k you; I'm not going to waste my time listening to sh|te music. If this offends you, go away.

How do I know what I don't like? I listen to lots of stuff, and if I don't like something I stop listening to it.

So go listen to my metal, hard house, trad music, trad punk, black metal with a hint of trad, pirate metal,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

I listen to nearly all types of music, from Slayer to Dr Dre to Lady gaga to Tiesto to even some forms of classical music (I also love house, drum n bass, techno, the list goes on and on.)

I find that especially in metal, people think they have to assimilate the "culture" associated with it. I think everyone falls into this trap with different types of music (what clothes to wear and who you hang around with etc.), but you grow up to realise its all bollocks.

Listen to whatever you want I say!

I was in a pub, half pissed a few months back and got this put on the speakers :o

I like music, I just like to see their reaction.
    Woo, you're such a renegade.
    Confab wrote: »
    As bad as, if not worse than, being a music snob tbh - "Ooh look at me everyone, I'm really unpretentious and down to earth!" Nah The Beatles were better.
    i think what flutterflye means by saying cop on is not that you will start liking different music, but you won't let it keep defining yourself and you realise that its just music.

music is great and all but a lot of people like to use it as a way of elevating themselves above others. people like doing that, they like making out that the thing they are really into is more important then other arts etc. a lot of people need this as they are never really truly comfortable with who they are
    Seems to me Flutterflye assumed the OP was talking about music snobs, when he was referring merely to people who really love music - god, how evil of them!! :rolleyes:

I listen to forgotten 80s/early 90s indie because I really like it - no more, no less. There are some not-too-bright peeps who would view that as enough fodder to deem me a snob, but their lack of thought about things is not of concern to me. I also like loads of pop music - not much from now, but again from the 80s/early 90s, and occasionally since. Not that I have to proclaim either to the world - my personal taste is my business. Loved that Tatu number from a few years back, really liked some Sugababes and Kylie stuff. Quite like a lot of Lady GaGa tunes but most chart music now is sh1t. And saying that is not snobbery, it's merely a statement of personal preference. How does one not be a snob? Pretend to like odious sh1t like Justin Bieber?

Oh and disliking Jedward is not "begrudgery" (derp) it's disliking crap music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Musics great.

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Disliking music overall, not just a particular genre, could suggest cognitive issues in the pattern matching areas of the brain. If the OP actually does dislike music it would be very rare.

It's called Music or Auditory agnosia. There's also Amusia which is an interpretive disfunction in the brain.

OP are you able to distinguish changes in pitch?

As for taking it seriously, I guess I take it about as seriously as anyone takes their job. Which most of the time isn't very!

Article on Amusia here...

i dunno though, MTV really have a lot to answer for as regards how the media and music work as regards how people hear about bands and artists. its more like professional wrestling in the past decade, companies want to put someone 'over' so they can make a ton of money off the personality.

you have to dig to find good music nowadays and thats something not a lot of people are really willing to do, as music isnt that big a deal to them. those acts you've mentioned ive never heard of before and while i dont doubt their quality, its more about how people get exposure to them. i have to see them mentioned on a forum just to hear about them. and as you said there are so many acts floating around right now that when you listen to the radio despite maybe liking them, they just go in one ear and out the other.

popular music is the most heard and accessible and is also the ****test. same thing with movies, the wayans brothers are the most successful african-american film makers of all time yet they make absolute crap, but if you want to watch some really good movies such as Shame or Take Shelter then you have to dig or be into the scene in the first place. again though, movies, music, video games etc are all just art forms and people can take from them what they will. people that are "im so into music and know so much more about it and therefore im a better, deeper person" dont really understand what art is and as i said previously, arent really comfortable with themselves. it just so happens that the music scene breeds far more of these types per capita then most other art forms :s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Dudess wrote: »
    WQuite like a lot of Lady GaGa tunes but most chart music now is sh1t. And saying that is not snobbery, it's merely a statement of personal preference. How does one not be a snob? Pretend to like odious sh1t like Justin Bieber?

By saying "in my opinion chart music is ****". Not declaring it like you just did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Music is entirely subjective. It's all about how it makes you feel. Going beyond that, labelling it, pigeon holing it, calling it 'good' or 'bad' is spectacularly missing the whole point of music. It is by it's very nature subjective to the listener.

Unless you're listening to Jedward. In that case you need to take yourself off to a quiet room for a long hard think about where you've gone wrong in life. Them and that crazy frog tune. Not music. First paragraph does not apply.

By saying "in my opinion chart music is ****". Not declaring it like you just did
    Most not all chart music IS objectively sh1t, unless you're a kid.

• Advertisement
Advertisement