Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking music too seriously

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Not really sure.
    Just noticed it - the music snobbery just seems to abate.

Very true for me anyhow. When I was 18 and in a pub I'd actually feel uncomfortable somewhere if i didnt like the music. If I really, really didnt like it such as overly catchy pop like abba id literally feel agitated and want to escape. Nearly every pub id go to was stone roses, smashing pumpkins, nirvana etc.

Now days while I still love music im far more tolerant and way prefer pubs with a variety of people types from different ages with different music tastes. I still notice the music but would only ever comment in a favourable way to a song I like. The stuff I dont, I barely notice its played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,804 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Dudess wrote: »
    Most not all chart music IS objectively sh1t, unless you're a kid.

In your opinion.
    I think most of it is sh1te as well but i can respect other people may think different. My definition of a music snob would be thinking that your taste in music is better than someone else's. Which is exactly what you are saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

By saying "in my opinion chart music is ****". Not declaring it like you just did
    Most not all chart music IS objectively sh1t, unless you're a kid.
    Or very old

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

In your opinion.
    I think most of it is sh1te as well but i can respect other people may think different. My definition of a music snob would be thinking that your taste in music is better than someone else's. Which is exactly what you are saying.
    It's disingenuous and another form of snobbery and part of this newish trend of people showing the world they're really down to earth, to effectively say it's snobbery to e.g. state that Led Zeppelin are better than Justin Bieber. Some things are just objective.

This thing of looking down on people for being "cool" is no different to looking down on people for not being cool enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Seems to be a general teenagery/early-mid 20's thing - then most grow some cop on.

Bull****e, my love of music only grows as I age.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

I don't take music too seriously, I just take bad music horribly .
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

It's disingenuous and another form of snobbery and part of this newish trend of people showing the world they're really down to earth, to effectively say it's snobbery to say e.g. stating Led Zeppelin are better than Justin Bieber is snobbery. Some things are just objective.

Looking down on being "cool" is no different to looking down on people for not being cool enough.

Is it though it's not like Justin Bieber is writing and producing the song, he has the best producers in the world create the song for him.

Hardly surprising if they come up with some good songs for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

Problem is, most people are a "something" snob.

Maybe it's all happy clappy and who cares man? whatever you like man when it comes to music, but if you dare tell that same guy that e.g. Blue nun is really nice... :eek:

...well you're automatically a philistine who probably has nits as well.

Some people do know music better than others and do have better taste. I know people who a rack of NOW cds and a bunch of singles, all number 1's from the past while. They have **** for taste. I don't care how snobby that sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭jaffacakesyum

I'm really into my music. It's one ofthe most important things in my life, as pathetic as that is.

But music snobbery really p1sses me off. I listen to every genre of music but if somebody only likes chart music then fúck it, who cares? It doesn't affect me. I do wish there was more room in the charts for more talented, deserving people...but that's just the way it is I'm afraid.

Also, I can say with confidence that Queen are better than Justin Bieber. That's an objective fact because Queen wrote fantastic songs and melodies, had better lyrics, better stage performance etc. However, if someone was to prefer Justin Bieber to Queen, I can't argue against that. Because music taste is subjective. So leave them to it.

I am a bit of a music snob though. Can't help it. At least I admit it.:o

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    Problem is, most people are a "something" snob.

Maybe it's all happy clappy and who cares man? whatever you like man when it comes to music, but if you dare tell that same guy that e.g. Blue nun is really nice... :eek:

...well you're automatically a philistine who probably has nits as well.

True with the middle east too, i'm Israel and my friend's Palestine.

Make's it more interesting when you pick a side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

Kev_2012 wrote: »
    I find that especially in metal, people think they have to assimilate the "culture" associated with it. I think everyone falls into this trap with different types of music (what clothes to wear and who you hang around with etc.), but you grow up to realise its all bollocks.

thats also bollocks though, when that happens it usually means they are just assimilating to some other "culture" which doesnt mean they are somehow more enlightened, probably means their new job or being a parent means its easier for them if they dont dress like a rocker, not necessarily they realise its bollocks, situation dictates it.

They can listen to Justin Bieber all they want - and others can say he's sh1t.

I am a bit of a music snob though. Can't help it. At least I admit it.:o
    I'd bet you're not - personal preference is not snobbery.

The way people get pissed off at those who prefer a band's earlier stuff is gas - and another form of snobbery. I prefer Kings Of Leon's earlier stuff - because I think it's better, end of.

To me, a music snob is someone who pretends not to like something just because it's popular or not credible enough.

There's all this talk of music snobbery by people who want to come across as really tolerant and express how enraged they are by it - but I can't say I've come across much actual music snobbery at all.

Oasis, U2 and Coldplay fans get the most butt-hurt - they're hilarious. I find all three bands mediocre overall, but they still have plenty of individual songs which I like. Apparently though, you're a snob (and a begrudger in the case of U2) if you simply don't like them... and it's the Bieber fans etc who are seen as the ones whose tastes are policed?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

RichieC wrote: »
    Bull****e, my love of music only grows as I age.

Agreed.

It's also easier than ever before to find music you like and listen to it on demand with the internet.

When I think of the sh!t I had to put up with when I was a kid... ordering in CDs that would take a few weeks to arrive and the radio never playing stuff that I liked....!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

Take music too seriously? I studied music for years - that would probably be considered taking music too seriously by some. But it was and is something I enjoyed.

As for music snobbery, we all like to think we have the best taste, don't we! :p
    But music is largely about how a song or musician makes you feel, so it's almost entirely subjective.

However, there is a craft to it, and that sometimes gets overlooked in light of all of the subjectivity. For example, I have a lot of Britney songs on my ipod. She's not the greatest vocalist, but her music gets me going, especially if I'm working out. I do not have any Frank Sinatra songs on my ipod because I can't stand that man's music. But objectively, he's an incredible singer, much better than Ms. Spears. Not my cup of tea, but I can't deny the man's talent, nor can I deny that Britney is rather mediocre when it comes to singing. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

The way people get pissed off at those who prefer a band's earlier stuff is gas - and another form of snobbery. I prefer Kings Of Leon's earlier stuff - because I think it's better, end of.

Yerra sher, you're welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Music is quite overrated.

Back in my teenage days, like most other teenagers, I used to take music a bit too seriously. I was a bit of a punk rocker and believed music can bring big changes to society and the world and all that, was in a band for a wee bit, studied sound engineering and music production and was generally quite obsessed with music making it part of my "lifestyle" and all of that . Also the kind of music I would listen to was quite narrow ranging from some punk rock to metal. I took my music very seriously.

Then as I grew up, I came to realise how weak a form of expression music is. Infact music is the weakest form of expression imo among all of the arts. Its mearly just a form of pass time entertainment and nothing else. That's when I stopped taking music seriously. The type of music I enjoy broadend and now I just listen to whatever sounds good to me regardless the genre. Although I still appreaciate good musicianship. Love bands like King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd etc.

Bottom line is music is just a form of entertainment and there's no point taking it too seriously.

Sky King wrote: »
    Agreed.

It's also easier than ever before to find music you like and listen to it on demand with the internet.

When I think of the sh!t I had to put up with when I was a kid... ordering in CDs that would take a few weeks to arrive and the radio never playing stuff that I liked....!

truly the dark ages! Though a new album in your hand back then had a certain excitement I no longer get.

• Advertisement

Beethoven probably took music too seriously, he made some good music though all while he was nearly totally deaf.

Good bbc documentary about him on youtube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I am a media snob in general. Movies, television, music, all art in general. I do try pretty hard not to be a snob, but my mind boggles at the idea of someone who thinks Adele is brilliant and Lady Gaga is the most original thing out there, but have them listen to music even as conventional as Brian Eno or a selection of Autechre, whatever, and they glaze over. I'm confident I do have better musical taste than the crowd who might frequent HMV. Some people just have awful taste. How do you think Cecilia Ahern got to be so big? Someone had to be buying all those terrible, terrible books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

How can you not like music? That's pretty weird.
    How can someone not like sport? That's pretty weird.

Music is just another hobby. I don't think it's 'weird' not to like it.

Statistically improbable, unusual, yes.

Not 'weird'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

random mindblowing fact.

Alice coopers album "thrash" was written by the same person that wrote livin la vida loca by ricky martin and waking up in vegas by katy perry.

aka, the music industry isnt as seperated as the people listening to it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

later12 wrote: »

Not 'weird'.

It is a bit weird though. Music is absolutely everywhere, TV, Movies, Ads, Radio, even just walking down the street you are likely to hear some music. So not liking "any" music would be weird.

I am a media snob in general. Movies, television, music, all art in general. I do try pretty hard not to be a snob, but my mind boggles at the idea of someone who thinks Adele is brilliant and Lady Gaga is the most original thing out there, but have them listen to music even as conventional as Brian Eno or a selection of Autechre, whatever, and they glaze over. I'm confident I do have better musical taste than the crowd who might frequent HMV. Some people just have awful taste. How do you think Cecilia Ahern got to be so big? Someone had to be buying all those terrible, terrible books.
    You're not remotely a snob. I dislike seeing people cave into the mindset. Everyone has personal preference and view what they like as better, otherwise they wouldn't prefer it! Even the "right-on" people here are the very same.

Not 'weird'.
    Saying you don't like music is like saying you don't like food. It's too diverse for there not to be anything at all within it that appeals. Sport is much narrower.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

Not 'weird'.

I was under the impression that "weird" was a synonym for "unusual".

and as for music being a hobby, I don't really think of it as such. I see videogames and TV as a hobby, but to say you don't like music - even a small amount of it - is probably just stubbornness. As long as you have the ability to hear, I don't think its possible to dislike all music.

I'd bet you're not - personal preference is not snobbery.

Ah no, I am kinda.

I would definitely, on more than a few occasions have thought "well actually you haven't a clue. You are simply wrong."

wonton wrote: »
    random mindblowing fact.

Alice coopers album "thrash" was written by the same person that wrote livin la vida loca by ricky martin and waking up in vegas by katy perry.

aka, the music industry isnt as seperated as the people listening to it

Ya I said that earlier Justin Bieber and Britney Spears are working with the best producers in the world so no surprise some of their songs are good whether you like Justin Bieber or not.

Cathy Dennis wrote eight UK no 1's yet most people probably never heard of her.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathy_Dennis#UK_and_US_number_1_compositions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Domo230 wrote: »
    I do recall a very common medical condition (cant remember the name) where people can't process the sounds right and so it all sounds very similar and bland to them.

It's very common and most of them don't like music.

Edit: It's Amusia: Affects 4 percent of people.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/4655352.stm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amusia

Bloody hell, that test from Newcastle Uni doesn't half go on. Would like to know the results from the first 30 god damn pairs but it went on to part 2 without any indication how many more were to come.

You'd need a psych evaluation after listening to that many electronic sounds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Saying you don't like music is like saying you don't like food. It's too diverse for there not to be anything at all within it that appeals. Sport is much narrower.
    It's incomprehensible to some people how anyone doesn't like football or rugby.

I agree that music has broader appeal than sport, but it's still not quite like food - the source of life. It's just a past-time that a lot of people tend to enjoy at the end of the day.

Instead of the word 'snob', can we use 'elitist'?

It carries all the negative connotations for the feeble-minded riff-raff, but none of it for the tasteful.

"Oh, I'm elitist, am I? I believe in some things being better than other things, do I? Thanks!"

grindle wrote: »
    Instead of the word 'snob', can we use 'elitist'?

It carries all the negative connotations for the feeble-minded riff-raff, but none of it for the tasteful.

"Oh, I'm elitist, am I? I believe in some things being better than other things, do I? Thanks!"

:D Oh dear oh dear - you sound a little bit dangerous!

It's incomprehensible to some people how anyone doesn't like football or rugby.

Don't know anyone like that.

:D Oh dear oh dear - you sound a little bit dangerous!

Dangerous like a paedophile MacGuyver.

Ah no, I am kinda.

I would definitely, on more than a few occasions have thought "well actually you haven't a clue. You are simply wrong."
    In fairness I wouldn't even say that to my pal who loves Westlife - if she likes them she likes them. That's not wrong. But I will obviously say I think they're sh1t and she freaks over it! Whereas I couldn't care less what derogatory stuff she says about the music I like.

...but I only think it. I may be a snob, but I'm not rude ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

stovelid wrote: »
    I take it very seriously as in I love it and listen to it all the time.

Being, however, over the age of 20 means that I don't really care what other people listen to.
    Ditto !

I've always loved the fact that there is so much diversity in music out there to explore and enjoy which is why my musical tastes go right across the board ie, popular classics/ pop/rock /soul /folk /electronic / blues .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

In fairness I wouldn't even say that to my pal who loves Westlife - if she likes them she likes them. That's not wrong. But I will obviously say I think they're sh1t and she freaks over it! Whereas I couldn't care less what derogatory stuff she says about the music I like.

Just start telling her how life will improve for everyone once Westlife Split up, always works to get my sister wound up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

Music is quite overrated.

Back in my teenage days, like most other teenagers, I used to take music a bit too seriously. I was a bit of a punk rocker and believed music can bring big changes to society and the world and all that, was in a band for a wee bit, studied sound engineering and music production and was generally quite obsessed with music making it part of my "lifestyle" and all of that . Also the kind of music I would listen to was quite narrow ranging from some punk rock to metal. I took my music very seriously.

Then as I grew up, I came to realise how weak a form of expression music is. Infact music is the weakest form of expression imo among all of the arts. Its mearly just a form of pass time entertainment and nothing else. That's when I stopped taking music seriously. The type of music I enjoy broadend and now I just listen to whatever sounds good to me regardless the genre. Although I still appreaciate good musicianship. Love bands like King Crimson, Yes, Pink Floyd etc.

Bottom line is music is just a form of entertainment and there's no point taking it too seriously.

If there was no point in taking music seriously then Pink Floyd, King Crimson and any other great bands would never have existed in the first place. No musician can achieve a damn thing unless they take it seriously.
    If you have no intention of ever setting foot on a stage then yes, in that case I would agree with you. It's absolutely crucial to take it seriously if you want to become any good at it. Just like anything else. Nobody became any good at anything by just having a "whatever" atittude towards it. That's my take anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭St.Spodo

If you enjoy crap music, you should be prepared to get a bit of stick for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

What gets me as much as musical snobbery (which I've gone on about numerous times on boards) is when people define their lives based around music that they like, e.g. "I'm a better person than you because I listen to classic hair metal." Or people who totally embody their favourite music in favour of having a personality and identity of their own.

I wouldn't have a problem with these people, in theory, be who you want to be. It doesn't matter to me. But they're often the same type of people who go out of their way to beat you over their head with their opinions on what sounds are good and what sounds aren't good, as if not doing so would reveal how little else they have going on in their lives than living vicariously through the creativity of other people.

leggo wrote: »
    What gets me as much as musical snobbery (which I've gone on about numerous times on boards) is when people define their lives based around music that they like, e.g. "I'm a better person than you because I listen to classic hair metal." Or people who totally embody their favourite music in favour of having a personality and identity of their own.

I wouldn't have a problem with these people, in theory, be who you want to be. It doesn't matter to me. But they're often the same type of people who go out of their way to beat you over their head with their opinions on what sounds are good and what sounds aren't good, as if not doing so would reveal how little else they have going on in their lives than living vicariously through the creativity of other people.
    Says he with the dance music sig (but it's ok because charty dance is "down to earth") and I would think much of what you say above is not reality and just a notion in your head.

Those who go out of their way to eschew anything that's "alternative" or whatever are also snobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Wattle

What's to be serious about? I enjoy discovering new bands and listening to different styles and genres. Seems to me that the people who are fixated on the X Factor take music very seriously. It being a music competition and all.

• Advertisement

They taking winning and being famous for 15 minutes seriously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

So.... who like Bressie?

I don't but that 'Breakin my Balls" chorus sticks in your head something fierce.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

leggo wrote: »

But clearly it does bother you. I've seen you running down people, genres etc on boards.

Hell , you once accused me of being part of Facebook conspiracy against you.

I reckon it bothers you a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

FatherLen wrote: »
    i dont, although i love music, play a few instruments and am in a band(yeah, i'm a rockstar) but i know a few people that will argue to death which bands are better and other shite like that. music is relative.

I know, it's so ridiculous. Arguing about one band being better than another is no better than arguing blue is better than red. The sound of someone falling down a stairs has equal merit to Stairway to Heaven. Some people refuse to understand that.

And some people make silly disingenuous attention-seeking comments like "The sound of someone falling down the stairs is of equal merit to Stairway To Heaven". I mean yeah, it's all just sound isn't it? Chat magazine and Hard Times - both just a bunch of words on paper.
    T-shirt from Penneys, well-tailored coat from All Saints - the exact same thing really, they're both clothes.

People arguing which band is better is silly indeed (to a point - there's nothing wrong with comparing acts and outputs) but there's no need to make this point via a nonsensical soundbite.
    Sky King wrote: »
    So.... who like Bressie?

I don't but that 'Breakin my Balls" chorus sticks in your head something fierce.
    I like it a lot - very catchy song!

• Advertisement
Advertisement