Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

landlord letting him self into house wen ever he wants

Options
  • 22-05-2012 2:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

hi i have being renting a house for last few months my landlords mail all ways get posted to the house he seems to walk into house wen ever im not there i thougt there ment give you 24 hour notice he should not be allowed walk into home 3or4 times a week i even hid the post last day and he still found were i put it wat are my rights and what should i do

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

He really shouldn't do that. Do you have a lease agreement and if so is there anything about that in it. Either way, it's bad form.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

As it's your home, your landlord is only allowed to enter the house with your permission.

See here for Tenants' rights & responsibilities. And see here for the Landlords right and responsibilities.

As for what to do, you have a couple of options open to you. For starters, he should probably get his post redirected to wherever he's living now. Secondly, he needs to understand that while you're renting his house/property, he's entering YOUR home. How you tell him that is probably best left to you, because you'll have a better idea of what approach will work best. Also get in touch with Threshold to see if they have any advice: www.threshold.ie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 avenege

i have a year lease on house im fed up with him every week just comes into my home no notice his bills for were he lives gets sent to my home which he should not havin all his post coming along every day i hav a 9 year old son i feel like hes evading my privacy big time im going have get him to stop doing this i should only have see him once amonth wen i pay him rent

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

Every time he does this, write down the date and time so you have evidence if you want to break your lease. It's still a buyers market when it comes to renting, so you shouldn't have to put up with any BS like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just tell him that he's not allowed to do that and see what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Could be a simple thing that he might not think that you mind. My advice ask him to install a mail box outside house. You both have a key and happy days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Tell him you'd appreciate it if he didnt enter the house without permission. If he kicks up tell him he has no right to be there and the next time he enters the house he'll be reported to the Gardaí.

Friend of mine had the same problem and when the landlord walked in one morning and went into the bedroom for a root while my friend was in bed with his wife my friend went apeshít and physically threw him out of the house.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

this is a big NO!! NO!! you are the tenant of the house and he has to ask to be left in!!! confront him about it and go further if needs be down the legal route as you are in a legally binding contract which he is breaking everytime he walks into your rented property, he has no rights but you have, he has an obligation to you as his tenant but thats it!!!!! to repair faults or maintain the property, who is this guy pm me his name if ya want

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Vsolid

Just start walking around the house naked - worked for me!!! Landlady always calls mobile now, sometimes i can just pass the rent through the letter box .. she is well weird'd out...lol

If that dont work then these guys are top class i have used them loads of time and they are always on ur side

www.threshold.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭vard

Is English your first language?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Vsolid

nope - but i am getting better, me thinks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ComfyKnickers

Im a landlady and never once walked in on my tenants, I actually only met them for the first time when they were moving out, after over two years. I had an agent but still, I would never ever do that. If you have a tenancy agreement double check it, it should have a 24 hour notice clause as already mentioned. God how could you relax knowing your landlord could walk in any minute!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Friend of mine had the same problem and when the landlord walked in one morning and went into the bedroom for a root while my friend was in bed with his wife my friend went apeshít and physically threw him out of the house.

for anyone who's either from Australia or has spent time there, this expression has a totally different meaning:
    to have a root

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭Media999

Hes probably using that address to collect welfare or something. If he doesnt accept rent allowance thats a good sign.

Tell him to stop or your moving out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

old gregg wrote: »
    for anyone who's either from Australia or has spent time there, this expression has a totally different meaning:
    to have a root

:p

Could have been going in to sniff some panties and rub one out so I guess it covers all eventualities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,427 ✭✭✭Dotsie~tmp

Usual useless advice. Slash his tendons next time. He'll soon get the message.

Advertisement