Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

QuickTime Installation Error

Options
  • 22-05-2012 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭

I just downloaded the latest version of QuickTime to install for the first time on my PC as i wanted to view trailers. During installation it gives this error dialog box:

Snap1.jpg

It then begins to rollback the installation, well so i thought anyway as the installation progress meter started going backwards.

I then get a message that QuickTime has been installed, i try to start it, and a message appears that it cannot start.

I tried registering on the QuickTime forums, but that in itself was a nightmare.

Anyone come across this error before, or can offer solution.

Thanks.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭FSL

Try VLC as an alternative it should play anything Quick Time can.

Also are you installing the 32 bit version onto a 64 bit OS by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭Sup08

If it is quicktime you want, you can uninstall iTunes and quicktime and goto then Apple site and download quicktime as a stand alone package and install. The download and re-install the latest version of iTunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

FSL wrote: »
    Try VLC as an alternative it should play anything Quick Time can.
    Also are you installing the 32 bit version onto a 64 bit OS by any chance?

I already have VLC, i wanted to go here:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/

and watch the trailers online, but a popup informed me that i needed QuickTime to view the trailers. It was the correct version i downloaded (32-bit)
    Sup08 wrote: »
    If it is quicktime you want, you can uninstall iTunes and quicktime and goto then Apple site and download quicktime as a stand alone package and install. The download and re-install the latest version of iTunes.

I don't have itunes, the QuickTime i downloaded was the stand-alone version.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i finally got it installed by 'Running the exe As an Adminstrator', but funnily enough when i went to the Trailers site with Internet Explorer 9, i got the message "Please Download QuickTime" to view the Trailers

So i opened up Chrome and it recognised that I had QuickTime Installed and the trailers played no problem.

Another kick for Internet Explorer.

You have to allow quicktime as an add-on in IE

• Advertisement

Great it's sorted, and it's best to install all programmes as admin in Vista/7

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

The setup program should automatically ask for admin permissions during install, I'm guessing like most Apple stuff your issue was due to some component, itunes, bonjour etc causing the issue, the best way to sort these Apple installer issues is to remove all the components by Apple and to re install using these guidelines. This article is also very appropriate (bottom of page)/NSFW possibly :) :pac:

Nick

Advertisement