Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How come there's fewer handicapped kids around these days?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Maybe they're just blending in more as people's fashion taste improves? It always used to annoy me that parents would dress their handicapped children, well eh... handicapped looking. And gave them handicapped looking hair cuts too.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

Don't you know? They all got better ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

oh tehyr around alright we just don't recognize it anymoar.

Or em, for it. I mean..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    Are parents more embarrassed than their previous generations to be seen in public with them ?

that Jordan is a good role model never one to shy away from taking hers out in public often pictured with her little chubs spilling out of the pram. To this day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

LH Pathe wrote: »
    that Jordan is a good role model never one to shy away from taking hers out in public often pictured with fat harvey spilling out of the pram. To this day
    That's an unusual take.

Got my frankie boyle on there for a second.

fùckin quick draw mcgraw :/ lost that particular game of hande hoche

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Smidge

Gyalist wrote: »
    Not quite correct. While older mothers have a higher risk of having a disabled child, most disabled children are born to younger women simply because more younger women give birth.

More specifically regarding Travellers, it wouldn't surprise me if the incidence of disability is higher as they marry more or less within a closed circle.

Was that a guess?

If so, well done you!

There is a disorder which is prevalent within both the Irish traveller community and the Amish community called GA1 which is a genetic disorder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

Rabidlamb wrote: »
    I brought the kids to the playground last night, one of the mothers had a mildly handicapped child who needed assistance but was really enjoying himself.
    What struck me is how few handicapped children I see nowadays in comparison to growing up in the late 70's, early 80's.
    Are they less visible due to special needs schooling taking them out of the general populace ?.
    Are parents more embarrassed than their previous generations to be seen in public with them ?.
    Are there less children being born with abnormalities due to better diets & supplements taken by the mothers ?.

Maybe it's just my perception but I took a double take last night as it's been that long since I noticed a child with a handicap.
    Has anyone else noticed this ?.

Perhaps you just grew up in Offaly or somewhere else like that where people tended to marry close family members

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,202 ✭✭✭Rabidlamb

yore wrote: »
    Perhaps you just grew up in Offaly or somewhere else like that where people tended to marry close family members

How could you insult the faithful county, sure didn't it produce one of the finest Taoiseach in our . . . . . . . oh

Advertisement