Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom monitored alarm - installation charge for GSM

Options
  • 22-05-2012 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Folks,

A few months back we were doorstepped on an evening by an Eircom rep selling monitored alarms at a reduced price. Given the other half is very security aware I asked her in.

She proceeded to give us a decent enough deal (from comparing with other people with same or similar). We asked did we need a phone line as if that was the case we're not interested as think line rental charges are shocking and mobiles are more than adequate. She told us No, no need for a landline and proceeded to take details for the upfront charge which was paid to include installation and materials. A direct debit was setup so once alarm was installed we could pay for the monitoring portion.

Fast forward a couple of months and we're in the new house and arrange for Eircom sub-contractor to come around to install the system. He tells us as there's no phone line he'll have to use GSM and there's a €150 charge before he'll do anything.

The wife rings me in work to tell me this and I feel like I'm being robbed :mad: I ask her has she the invoice but she cannot find it (we've just moved and boxes everywhere). The contractor leaves telling us until it's sorted he won't be installing the system.

Anyone any experience of such dealings? I'd have my money back rather than pay this as it was not obvious in the sales patter a working phone line was needed to install the alarm.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

To have a monitored alarm system, you need some form of phone communication - landline or GSM. The GSM module would be extra and would have a cost (setup, plus device).

I'm surprised this wasn't made clear in the first place.

You need to contact the person who sold you the system and get proper clarification. With door sales, you should have a cooling off period, but I think this is only 7 days, which is a bit late now if you ordered this months back.

Advertisement