Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bull not back-chewing

• 22-05-2012 3:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭

I bought a quiet (so far) pedigree limousin bull in carrick-on-shannon 3 days ago in the pedigree sales. I brought him from carrick to mayo, was a nice spin.
    He will be a year old in the next few days, but there is one thing i have noticed is that he is not back-chewing, however he is making his manure, he is out on on good grass and i started to feed him bull nuts 18%.

I have a thought that his stomach could be twisted from the journey as he did give a lunge in the trailer on the journey.
    So i have been thinking that i should do the same again bring him around the roads for good spin to untwist his stomach if that is indeed the problem.

So the moral of my question is did anyone here have a similar experience with one of their cattle not back-chewing, if so, how did you sort it out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

PatL23 wrote: »
    I bought a quiet (so far) pedigree limousin bull in carrick-on-shannon 3 days ago in the pedigree sales. I brought him from carrick to mayo, was a nice spin.
    He will be a year old in the next few days, but there is one thing i have noticed is that he is not back-chewing, however he is making his manure, he is out on on good grass and i started to feed him bull nuts 18%.

I have a thought that his stomach could be twisted from the journey as he did give a lunge in the trailer on the journey.
    So i have been thinking that i should do the same again bring him around the roads for good spin to untwist his stomach if that is indeed the problem.

So the moral of my question is did anyone here have a similar experience with one of their cattle not back-chewing, if so, how did you sort it out?

he's probably not back chewing because he never learned how to. He was most likely fed ad-lib on meal for all of his life to push him on. Unless the animal is sick and not eating, I'd give him some meal and slowly start to reduce it as he goes onto grass. If he's not well, get your vet to look at him.

I've never heard of an animal's stomach twisting in a trailer. If he is eating and making manure, then it is definitely not twisted.

Give him time, he's new to the place and just needs some time to figure it out!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭PatL23

reilig wrote: »
    he's probably not back chewing because he never learned how to. He was most likely fed ad-lib on meal for all of his life to push him on. Unless the animal is sick and not eating, I'd give him some meal and slowly start to reduce it as he goes onto grass. If he's not well, get your vet to look at him.

I've never heard of an animal's stomach twisting in a trailer. If he is eating and making manure, then it is definitely not twisted.

Give him time, he's new to the place and just needs some time to figure it out!!

Thank you reilig for the quick reply, really appreciate it.

Do you think that i should continue to feed him a nice bit of nuts(3-4kg day) along with the grass that he's getting? Because i want to try to keep him as timid as possible, as i will also be brushing him as i am feeding him. I know to be cautious around bulls as i know that they can snap at any time.

I mainly purchased him this year as a tester, to catch the cows in heat, as i find it impossible these past 2 years to see them in heat. The cows are not rising on each other like they used to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭redzerologhlen

PatL23 wrote: »
    Thank you reilig for the quick reply, really appreciate it.

Do you think that i should continue to feed him a nice bit of nuts(3-4kg day) along with the grass that he's getting? Because i want to try to keep him as timid as possible, as i will also be brushing him as i am feeding him. I know to be cautious around bulls as i know that they can snap at any time.

I mainly purchased him this year as a tester, to catch the cows in heat, as i find it impossible these past 2 years to see them in heat. The cows are not rising on each other like they used to.

Dont try to make a pet out of him, you might think you are doing the right thing to have him quiet but more often than not those are the bulls that turn wicked, thats my 2 cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Dont try to make a pet out of him, you might think you are doing the right thing to have him quiet but more often than not those are the bulls that turn wicked, thats my 2 cents.

+1

But I would continue to give him meal and gradually wean him off it over 4 to 6 weeks. Remember that he has eaten a main diet of meal for the last number of months so coming onto your farm and being put on grass is a bit of a shock to his system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

@12mths he would easily have been eating 6-7kg a day ad-lib so 3-4 kg for the next two weeks while he gets used to grass would be a good idea. You can start to reduce it then.

The quietest of them can be frisky when off the halter, so be careful, but don't be alarmed if he starts leapin and playin about;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 91 ✭✭PatL23

Thanks everyone for your very informative replies.

Advertisement