Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

9 Days to go and all to play for

• 22-05-2012 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭

Just listening to the 4FM discussion on the Treaty, where they have a ran a poll asking how voters will vote on May 31 - 96% said NO and only 4% said YES. Also, they could not get on e single caller to advocate for the yes side, during the programme.

Now I know these polls work on a different basis from the likes of Millward Brown, but given how one sided the result was, and along with the controversial comments of several key players for the yes side, it would be foolish to stay that the yes side definitely have it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Just listening to the 4FM discussion on the Treaty, where they have a ran a poll asking how voters will vote on May 31 - 96% said NO and only 4% said YES. Also, they could not get on e single caller to advocate for the yes side, during the programme.

Now I know these polls work on a different basis from the likes of Millward Brown, but given how one sided the result was, and along with the controversial comments of several key players for the yes side, it would be foolish to stay that the yes side definitely have it.

It would be very foolish, I don't think anyone actually is saying that though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

It would be very foolish, I don't think anyone actually is saying that though?

I think some people overlooked the fact that in the most recent Millward Brown poll, there was a big chunk of 19% who declared themselves undecided. That 19% will be the key swing voter, of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭spank_inferno

It will still be carried by at least 10% I reckon.

Obviously a generalisation, however I see the "No" voters as being the type who are less likely to vote in the first place.

(a straw pole at our Sunday dinner table gave the "No" side an 6-2 victory. Only three of us are registered... only two of us voted at the last election!)

Expect the Middle classes / pensioners / party faithfull to carry the day easily.

* I could be wrong though

It will still be carried by at least 10% I reckon.

Obviously a generalisation, however I see the "No" voters as being the type who are less likely to vote in the first place.

(a straw pole at our Sunday dinner table gave the "No" side an 8-2 victory. Only three of us are registered... only two of us voted at the last election!)

Expect the Middle classes / pensioners / party faithfull to carry the day easily.

* I could be wrong though

For what it is worth, a lot of the callers today sounded and/or middle class and over 60. Both groups would have been part of the core yes vote in previous treaties I agree, but the tide might be turning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

knowing 4FMs very low listenship figures (and listening to their god awful phone in show - which might explain the former), the poll is likely to only have about 15 -20 respondents (excluding 4FM staff!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

Remember that the last Oireachtas Inquiries poll had 78% in favour.

GSF wrote: »
    knowing 4FMs very low listenship figures (and listening to their god awful phone in show - which might explain the former), the poll is likely to only have about 15 -20 respondents (excluding 4FM staff!)

Roughly 20,000, according to thelatest JNLR. Given a typical poll features 1,000 people, do you think you should dismiss it so easily?

GSF wrote: »

25 respondents would give 24 against and 1 for, 50 would give 48 against and 2 for.

Out of curiosity, is the programme broadcast during office hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Out of curiosity, is the programme broadcast during office hours?

Yep, therein lies the key to understanding these results.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭GSF

Roughly 20,000, according to thelatest JNLR. Given a typical poll features 1,000 people, do you think you should dismiss it so easily?
    Their average quarter hour is closer to 1k as opposed to their total daily reach (i'm assuming the poll was only open for say 30 to 60 minutes max). So I'd guess if 1k are listening, maybe 1% or 10 people responded? I'm being generous in saying 20! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭The Waltzing Consumer

You also got to hand it to the No side as I think they are proportionately more active then yes voters. Any articles in the main Irish online sites are predominately full of no voters in the comments section, the no voters made the most noise on the Frontline debate and the Matt Cooper debate and it would not surprise me that this was the case here.

It is not a bad thing, it is good they are active, it is just a pity they do it for this particular campaign.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

Apart from the obvious demographic limitations of this poll, it is a self selective poll. The professional polling agencies randomly select members of the public and only include those respondents with a reasonable or strong chance of voting on referendum day.

One might put forward all sorts of theories as to why the 'No' vote was so unusually large in the poll you reference. However, even as a supporter of the 'No' argument, I don't think there is a serious chance that the Treaty proposal will be refused. The Irish voting public simply appear to believe there is too much at stake to say No this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭sinsin

later12 wrote: »
    Apart from the obvious demographic limitations of this poll, it is a self selective poll. The professional polling agencies randomly select members of the public and only include those respondents with a reasonable or strong chance of voting on referendum day.

One might put forward all sorts of theories as to why the 'No' vote was so unusually large in the poll you reference. However, even as a supporter of the 'No' argument, I don't think there is a serious chance that the Treaty proposal will be refused. The Irish voting public simply appear to believe there is too much at stake to say No this time.

Social welfare and Public Service money under threat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,656 ✭✭✭C14N

It is 4fm though. I assume you listen to it often so you know that their discussions are truly woeful. They are highly entertaining though, in much the same way as Joe Duffy's crowd can be. It's a shame because their music isn't too bad.
    You also got to hand it to the No side as I think they are proportionately more active then yes voters. Any articles in the main Irish online sites are predominately full of no voters in the comments section, the no voters made the most noise on the Frontline debate and the Matt Cooper debate and it would not surprise me that this was the case here.

It is not a bad thing, it is good they are active, it is just a pity they do it for this particular campaign.

This is quite true. Any video I have seen on Youtube has been filled with angry no voters posting their opinions. The only problem is that they are generally complete nonsense (although discussion on Youtube is always somewhat hit-and-miss).

Well 2FM is more substantial in listenership and the Colm Hayes show had a text poll with 68% voting no. Make of that what you will.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Well 2FM is more substantial in listenership and the Colm Hayes show had a text poll with 68% voting no. Make of that what you will.
    I make of it... nothing. It's a text poll; it's meaningless.

What do you make of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭beeftotheheels

Farmers don't listen to 2FM. The Farmer's Journal and IFA on the other hand...

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I make of it... nothing. It's a text poll; it's meaningless.

What do you make of it?
    That opposition to the Treaty is higher than the newspaper polls are suggesting.

That opposition to the Treaty is higher than the newspaper polls are suggesting.
    So you're firmly asserting your belief that a text poll is more accurate than the polls carried out using scientifically-validated methodologies by professional polling companies.

Okay... no confirmation bias at work here. No sirree bob.

Okay... no confirmation bias at work here. No sirree bob.

You have to wonder why we bother sometimes.

I can honestly say I came into this whole thing with an open mind. I was leaning towards a 'no' from the start, I saw plenty of arguments to convince me toward a 'yes' and saw many of the things that had led me toward 'no' in the first place debunked.

If someone presented a really cogent argument detailing how the benefits of a 'no' outweigh the benefits of a 'yes' then I would have to hand it to them, and am definitely open to being convinced.

So far though, nobody has come close to that, with the possible exception of later12. Can posters like Ozy, hand on heart, really say their mind is open to being changed? If not then this whole thing becomes not a discussion, but a series of soapbox arguments which are for the benefit of the unseen, silent 'majority' who are supposedly reading all this and swaying back and forth with every post.

I have to admit it saddens me a little.

• Advertisement

It saddens me a lot.

Interesting. I am sure those in their twenties and thirties will be mostly NO.

You have to wonder why we bother sometimes.

I can honestly say I came into this whole thing with an open mind. I was leaning towards a 'no' from the start, I saw plenty of arguments to convince me toward a 'yes' and saw many of the things that had led me toward 'no' in the first place debunked.

If someone presented a really cogent argument detailing how the benefits of a 'no' outweigh the benefits of a 'yes' then I would have to hand it to them, and am definitely open to being convinced.

So far though, nobody has come close to that, with the possible exception of later12. Can posters like Ozy, hand on heart, really say their mind is open to being changed? If not then this whole thing becomes not a discussion, but a series of soapbox arguments which are for the benefit of the unseen, silent 'majority' who are supposedly reading all this and swaying back and forth with every post.

You are honestly quite full of it it at times, and you are only upset because not everyone shares the same viewpoint on this matter as you. Most posters here are OK, I think.

That is what happens on forums - deal with it!

You are honestly quite full of it it at times, and you are only upset because not everyone shares the same viewpoint on this matter as you. Most posters here are OK, I think.

The scales have dropped from my eyes, you've convinced me to join your cause, thank you my good man, thank you, I've been blind but now I can finally see...

The scales have dropped from my eyes, you've convinced me to join your cause, thank you my good man, thank you, I've been blind but now I can finally see...

I like healing the wounded. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

You are honestly quite full of it it at times, and you are only upset because not everyone shares the same viewpoint on this matter as you

Have you ever studied statistics?

No. It is what happens when one side tell lies about things and those not bothered or capable of informing themselves buy into it - because it is what they want to hear.

That there could be an end to austerity tomorrow.

That there's an easy way to recover from the 9.8 financial earthquake that hit us in 07/08.

That 4 years of pain is as bad as it can get (really, 9.8 on the richter scale a recovery in 10 years would be a miracle but that is not what people want to hear so it must be a threat as opposed to an informed analysis of the situation).

But the worst part, is seeing that despite the fact that people can now see Bertie was selling snake oil in 2007, people are still falling over themselves to buy snake oil version 2.0 as sold by SF/ ULA/ Libertas.

No. It is what happens when one side tell lies about things and those not bothered or capable of informing themselves buy into it - because it is what they want to hear.

Certainty and Stability are very vague words don't you think. Yet, they have been repeated ad nauseum by the same small group of voices.

Certain of what - that most people will be at work in five years time? That we will have a functioning economy? Nothing stable to me either about an economy that has all this banker debt in it.

I don't like the continuing hammering home of the word 'austerity' by the likes of Paul Murphy and his comrades, either. That is lazy, too.

So, can you even consider that BOTH yes and no, can talk crap?

Maybe you can't believe it, but Declan Ganley, Mary Lou McDonald or Paul Murphy did not convince me to vote NO. I did it through my own reasoning. Hope most of the electorate do, too.

Certainty and Stability are very vague words don't you think. Yet, they have been repeated ad nauseum by the same small group of voices.

Certain of what - that most people will be at work in five years time? That we will have a functioning economy? Nothing stable to me either about an economy that has all this banker debt in it.

I don't like the continuing hammering home of the word 'austerity' by the likes of Paul Murphy and his comrades, either. That is lazy, too.

So, can you even consider that BOTH yes and no, can talk crap?

Maybe you can't believe it, but Declan Ganley, Mary Lou McDonald or Paul Murphy did not convince me to vote NO. I did it through my own reasoning. Hope most of the electorate do, too.

I fully acknowledge that both sides are talking crap. It causes me to lose sleep at night. I'm a yes voter because I've read the relevant docs and prefer an answer that doesn't require us to spend years in court proving our point when, if we need bailout 2.0 we will not have years.

I hate the way the yes campaign is being fought. But I hate more the obvious lies being told by the no campaign, lies which presuppose that the electorate are oblivious to the already binding rules under the six-pack.

The problem for me is that the No side get to tell absolute lies with impunity, and the moment that those lies are challenged that "evidences the Yes side threatening the electorate". It doesn't matter if the challenge is based on logic, reason, education (all the more reason to vote no, educated people who might actually understand this must be part of "official Ireland trying to put the working man down").

This isn't about the TSCG, it is about the need of every Irish electorate to believe that there must be a simple, painless (for them, not for whatever other sectors of society they currently despise and deem worthy of pain) solution. Which there isn't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I fully acknowledge that both sides are talking crap. It causes me to lose sleep at night. I'm a yes voter because I've read the relevant docs and prefer an answer that doesn't require us to spend years in court proving our point when, if we need bailout 2.0 we will not have years.

I hate the way the yes campaign is being fought. But I hate more the obvious lies being told by the no campaign, lies which presuppose that the electorate are oblivious to the already binding rules under the six-pack.

The problem for me is that the No side get to tell absolute lies with impunity, and the moment that those lies are challenged that "evidences the Yes side threatening the electorate". It doesn't matter if the challenge is based on logic, reason, education (all the more reason to vote no, educated people who might actually understand this must be part of "official Ireland trying to put the working man down").

This isn't about the TSCG, it is about the need of every Irish electorate to believe that there must be a simple, painless (for them, not for whatever other sectors of society they currently despise and deem worthy of pain) solution. Which there isn't.

Simon Coveney was caught telling lies on VB tonight or else Enda lied to the Dail earlier in the year, (make your own mind up who was telling the truth.) To me it was a major lie, in that he was trying to present a picture that this government was working in our interests and was continuing to do that by looking for a Yes vote.
    Does the fact that a government minister or our Taoiseach was telling a lie about asking for a write down of the debt give you any cause for concern about their motives?

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Does the fact that a government minister or our Taoiseach was telling a lie about asking for a write down of the debt give you any cause for concern about their motives?

Nope. Because being a "Mistress of the Laws", with a a specialism in EU Law, from an institution which ranks way higher than any Irish educational facility in terms of the international rankings, I don't worry about the Government pulling a fast one one me. My LLB (and LLM ) were conferred by the University of London. I'm more than happy to think this through for myself and come to my own conclusions.

Nope. Because being a "Mistress of the Laws", with a a specialism in EU Law, from an institution which ranks way higher than any Irish educational facility in terms of the international rankings, I don't worry about the Government pulling a fast one one me. My LLB (and LLM ) were conferred by the University of London. I'm more than happy to think this through for myself and come to my own conclusions.

What if he lies to you about something you know nothing about, is that ok too? Or do you know everything? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yes it's all a great conspiracy by the Government to give up control of the country to a German dictatorship.

Because that's what'll win votes at the next general election.

I wonder do the anti-EU people give any kind of logical thought to their wild theories and scare tactics?

seamus wrote: »
    Yes it's all a great conspiracy by the Government to give up control of the country to a German dictatorship.

Because that's what'll win votes at the next general election.

I wonder do the anti-EU people give any kind of logical thought to their wild theories and scare tactics?

Well if people swallow their lies and see no problem with them lying :eek:, what can't they do?

Tell me again the logic of allowing GOVERNMENT ministers to lie Bertie?
    :rolleyes:

I didn't say about lying, but I find it bizarre that you seem to be implying that they're lying about "other things" of which you have no proof or even any specifics.

At the same time the opposition parties to the treaty are openly lying, scaremongering and bullying people into voting no - the very things they accuse the "Yes" side of, even though a single lie on the part of the yes side has yet to be uncovered.
    Yet people don't seem to have any issue supporting these politicians. What's that about? If they got into Government that would be tacit approval for them to lie about whatever they wanted to.

• Advertisement

I hate the way the yes campaign is being fought.
    I'm not convinced there's any other way to fight it.

This is another somewhat technical treaty which represents the best efforts of the Eurozone's member states to find a compromise between their respective electorates' wishes, and the welfare of the Union and the currency as a whole, which can be somewhat in tension with the individual electorates' wishes, although it shouldn't be.

There's nothing particularly sexy to sell. The 'no' campaign attack words like 'stability', demanding proof that such stability will come to pass, while not feeling any compulsion to prove that stability will result from rejecting the treaty. On the flipside, the 'no' camp will bandy about phrases like 'permanently enshrine austerity', while accusing the 'yes' side of scaremongering should they suggest any hint of a negative consequence of rejection; they peddle blatant lies about not requiring ratification in order to access ESM funding while shrieking hysterically about whatever Coveney said last night; they carp on and on about ESM funding not being guaranteed to us if we ratify, while reassuring us that the EU will trip over itself to lend us money no matter how intransigent we are in refusing to sign up to any treaties.

We shouldn't be having a referendum on this issue. We should be letting the government ratify it. It's their job. If we're going to demand a say in the running of the country - if we want to sit at the grownups' table and make grownup decisions - we have a responsibility to approach the issue in a grownup manner. But Irish people don't like to be told they have responsibilities; they only want to hear about their entitlements.

So yes: deeply depressing.

I didn't say about lying, but I find it bizarre that you seem to be implying that they're lying about "other things" of which you have no proof or even any specifics.

At the same time the opposition parties to the treaty are openly lying, scaremongering and bullying people into voting no - the very things they accuse the "Yes" side of, even though a single lie on the part of the yes side has yet to be uncovered.
    Yet people don't seem to have any issue supporting these politicians. What's that about? If they got into Government that would be tacit approval for them to lie about whatever they wanted to.

Wrong...we are not electing them to any office. This is a referendum. The No side has many different positions & nuances, from the loony fringe to passionate beliefs and well founded fears, you can take what you want from them, nobody is insisting you believe them.
    However, when a Government lies, that is an entirely different thing.
    People voted for Fine Gael/Lab, believing that they would do as they said, now we find that on a core promise that they are lying through their teeth, that instead of defending US in Europe, they are bolstering the status quo and doing precisely what the last shower did.
    That is quite a shock to my system, you are entitled to keep your head in the sand with all the others. I have had quite enough of them.
    Only a wet week ago, we had these forums alive with people blustering about the lies and corruption of FF and here we have them swallowing the same self-interested, self-protecting guff again. Laughable if it wasn't so dangerous for REAL people.

btw, do you believe that Gilmore lied on Morning Ireland today as well or is Wikileaks part of the scaremongers and bullies too?

People voted for Fine Gael/Lab, believing that they would do as they said, now we find that on a core promise that they are lying through their teeth, that instead of defending US in Europe, they are bolstering the status quo and doing precisely what the last shower did.
    What core promise, and how are they not defending us in Europe?
    btw, do you believe that Gilmore lied on Morning Ireland today as well
    What did he say?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Wrong...we are not electing them to any office. This is a referendum. The No side has many different positions & nuances, from the loony fringe to passionate beliefs and well founded fears, you can take what you want from them, nobody is insisting you believe them.
    However, when a Government lies, that is an entirely different thing.
    That is quite a shock to my system, you are entitled to keep your head in the sand with all the others. I have had quite enough of them.
    Only a wet week ago, we had these forums alive with people blustering about the lies and corruption of FF and here we have them swallowing the same self-interested, self-protecting guff again. Laughable if it wasn't so dangerous for REAL people.

btw, do you believe that Gilmore lied on Morning Ireland today as well or is Wikileaks part of the scaremongers and bullies too?

On the "no" side,

loony fringe - yes, agree with you, large part of the "no" side;
    passionate beliefs - yes, agree with you but unfortunately those passionate beliefs are ill-informed, small minority of the "no" side, feels sorry for them, taken in by the lies of SF/ULA axis of ignorance;
    well-founded fears - no, none of these on the "no" side only those ignorant of the Treaty have illogical fears so there are no well-founded fears.

As for the difference between the Government lying and SF/ULA axis of ignorance lying, I don't understand your point. You are saying that FG/Lab lied before they got into government (which I don't accept) presumably when they were in opposition but that is different and worse than the huge amount of lies being spread around by SF/ULA about household charges, water charges, bank bailouts all coming because of this referendum but that those lies are ok because they are not in government, but FG/Lab were not in government when they made the so-called lies that your are complaining about. Can you sort out the logic for me?

What core promise, and how are they not defending us in Europe?

Enda says in the Dail, 'We didn't ask for a write down and we will never ask for one'
    Coveney says, We did.
    One of them is lying.
    What did he say?

First off, he lied when asked would there be a second vote on the Lisbon Treaty, then Wikileaks reveals that he was down in the American Embassy an hour or two later, assuring them that the Irish people would pass a second referendum, then he says that he never said that on Morning Ireland when under pressure from the interveiwer and Pearse Doherty.

Add to all that, Lucinda Creighton and Joan Burton refusing to answer direct questions on what the plan was in the event of a NO vote. I see a goevrnment floundering and in disarray, all taking positions to protect themselves. It is no longer about the people.

Are we not entitled to know the truth of this stuff? What would somebody with the superlative education of beeftotheheels make of that? ;)

• Advertisement

Godge wrote: »
    Can you sort out the logic for me?

Enda or Coveney is lying right now, in GOVERNMENT.
    Gilmore is lying, in GOVERNMENT
    Creighton and Burton are evading important questions in GOVERNMENT.

I can see now why it took so long for the sheeple to rumble FF. :rolleyes:

What if he lies to you about something you know nothing about, is that ok too? Or do you know everything? ;)

You keep harping on about lies. We're voting to allow (or not) the Gov to ratify a treaty. The treaty text, and everything one needs to understand it including the six-pack are freely available on the web.

Yet any time any one from the Yes camp says anything, they're bullying/ lying/ whatever and I suspect that this is because a large part of the "No" camp are unable or unwilling to understand the detail of what they are voting on, and are still determined to have their say [about whatever is going on in their head at that moment in time] and looking for some feeble rationalization to make themselves feel better about voting to jeopardize the future of our country.

If people bothered to read and get comfortable with what we are voting on, what any politician, yes or no advocating, said would matter less.

Enda or Coveney is lying right now, in GOVERNMENT.
    Gilmore is lying, in GOVERNMENT
    Creighton and Burton are evading important questions in GOVERNMENT.

I can see now why it took so long for the sheeple to rumble FF. :rolleyes:
    So you'll suddenly start demanding truthfulness from SF and the ULA if they get into government, but it's OK for them to lie in the meantime?

Or is it OK for them to lie because they're advocating the result you want?

You keep harping on about lies. We're voting to allow (or not) the Gov to ratify a treaty. The treaty text, and everything one needs to understand it including the six-pack are freely available on the web.

Yet any time any one from the Yes camp says anything, they're bullying/ lying/ whatever and I suspect that this is because a large part of the "No" camp are unable or unwilling to understand the detail of what they are voting on, and are still determined to have their say [about whatever is going on in their head at that moment in time] and looking for some feeble rationalization to make themselves feel better about voting to jeopardize the future of our country.

If people bothered to read and get comfortable with what we are voting on, what any politician, yes or no advocating, said would matter less.
    So you'll suddenly start demanding truthfulness from SF and the ULA if they get into government, but it's OK for them to lie in the meantime?

Or is it OK for them to lie because they're advocating the result you want?

Avoiding the issues much people? :rolleyes:

We have to call the No side on so called lies, but we are asked to ignore the Governments. Very good.

Well, no. The issues relate to the treaty itself, and its actual effects. I can see how attractive it is to the 'no' side to create noisy sideshows to distract from the treaty, but I'd rather not play.

We have to call the No side on so called lies, but we are asked to ignore the Governments. Very good.
    But what lies are you talking about in relation to the referendum?

You mention dishonesty by Eamon Gilmore, which occurred when he wasn't in government, and in relation to an entirely different topic. So that's irrelevant.

Can you provide citations for Kenny & Coveney's conflicting claims? In any case, this may not be lying as they don't share a single mind, so one may be incorrect in their statements (which is not lying).

"Evading important questions" isn't lying, and in any case what are the important questions relevant to the treaty which are being evaded? Maybe they have no plan in case of a No vote.

You mention dishonesty by Eamon Gilmore, which occurred when he wasn't in government, and in relation to an entirely different topic. So that's irrelevant.

Can you provide citations for Kenny & Coveney's conflicting claims? In any case, this may not be lying as they don't share a single mind, so one may be incorrect in their statements (which is not lying).

"Evading important questions" isn't lying, and in any case what are the important questions relevant to the treaty which are being evaded? Maybe they have no plan in case of a No vote.

As if the government are going to detail a plan outlining how everything will be fine after a defeat in a referendum they are campaigning to pass. You might as well moan that they aren't campaigning for a 'no' (or NO to give it its usual capitalization). It's farce at this stage.

Enda says in the Dail, 'We didn't ask for a write down and we will never ask for one'
    Coveney says, We did.
    One of them is lying.

You don't understand something thus it constitutes a lie?

Enda said we have not sought to default on our sovereign debt like Greece. Simon said we looked for flexibility in bailing in the banking senior bondholders. Not the same thing at all (although VB clearly tried to muddy the water).

Enda talking about apples. Simon talking about pears. Vincent suggesting that anything Simon says about pears contradicts what Enda said about apples. It doesn't and thus does not evidence a lie.

Well, no. The issues relate to the treaty itself, and its actual effects. I can see how attractive it is to the 'no' side to create noisy sideshows to distract from the treaty, but I'd rather not play.

I didn't turn this referendum into a political issue. That is what it has become because government policy on our membership of the EU has continued to polarise the electorate. That this has become an issue wider than the treaty itself is down to the bungling and ineptitude of the present government and the EU.

Fair enough, I wish you luck living with yourself when you one day wake up and realise that this is just FF all over again. :rolleyes:

I think TV3 have a player where you can watch Coveney getting caught out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

Eh, no, there are two issues.

(1) There is the issue of whether the government has lied. A number of posters have debunked your government telling "lies" allegation.

(2) There is the continued attempts by you (and others on here) to accuse the government of lying yet accept the lies coming from the "no" side, surely you must see the hypocrisy? As you appear not to, some are trying gently to point it out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement