Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making formula and Brita water.

Options
  • 22-05-2012 3:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks.

My small woman is almost 11 months now. Can we use the water out of the Brita to boil for her bottles. I know you are not supposed to for a new born but is this still the case.

The reason I ask is that we have very bad limescale here..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

what water have you been using all along?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

silly wrote: »
    what water have you been using all along?

Tap water boiled..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

Brita seem to think you can

http://www.brita.net/uk/faqs_household.html?L=1#3

I'm sure we used it for our little fella (boiled of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Winnie

My son is 11 months and when I give him just water in his beaker for a drink I use Brita filtered water so I cant see why you cant use it for making bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭silly

I would have assumed that britta filtered water is better than tap water to begin with!?
    how wrong was i?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

silly wrote: »
    I would have assumed that britta filtered water is better than tap water to begin with!?
    how wrong was i?

I thought so too and thats what we used at the start but the PHN seen me doing this and said it was wrong also the Aptamil box says not to use filtered water. I agree with you though and I am going back to the Brita..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

The official answer from Aptamil seems to be that they think the chemicals used to filter the water are dangerous. While the Brita filter company themselves tell us that the filtering removes chlorine, flouride and any heavy metals.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

we have very bad water in D15 so I got a reverse osmosis filter system for a couple of hundred quid (takes about an hour to fit under the sink) and use that for all the baby related water as well as our own drinking water and it's been excellent.

we're still boiling it of course, but the difference is amazing as far as water quality goes. i had planned on descaling my kettle, but after a copuple of weeks using the RO water in it, the kettle looked like new on it's own. :)

we've gone from manky, dirty (yes, with bits in it) water that smells like a swimming pool due to the excessive levels of chlorine in it, to water that would rival any bottled water for taste and clarity. even the ice cubes in our fridge are coming out crystal clear instead of a murky/smoky white (which is a sure sign of purity). :)

my next challenge is to boost the output so we can use it for all the water in the house (i.e. showers etc.).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭UL_heart_throb

Anyway, I chased this up again with the Aptamil crowd. Their answer was the brita filters exchanged Mg and Ca ions for Na and Cl ions to remove the hardness. Resulting in water with higher levels of sodium (Na). High levels of sodium can 'damage the kidneys' of the small baby. That's their rationale anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

would be worth following up aptamil's followup to pritta and see what they say.

i wonder how long this will keep going? :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement