Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much tax can i expect to pay on whv?

Options
  • 22-05-2012 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

My boyfriend just received his contract.On a whv his contract is for 6months with view to sponsorship after that- yipee.

Salary is $59 280 + superannuation + overtime at time and a half for first three hours and double thereafter

so 59280 divided by 52 is $1140 per week, how much would then go on tax roughly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Google "Australian pay calculator". There are tonnes of sites out there with tools that break your pay down into net weekly, monthly net pay etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Use http://www.paycalculator.com.au/

before 1st July
    Weekly Gross $1140
    Weekly Net $908.36

After 1st July
    Weekly Gross $1140
    Weekly Net $916.32

Also you are paying $17.10 pw ($889 a year) in Medicare Levy that you can claim back at the end of the tax year if you are not entitled to Medicare.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

dietdiva wrote: »
    My boyfriend just received his contract.On a whv his contract is for 6months with view to sponsorship after that- yipee.

Salary is $59 280 + superannuation + overtime at time and a half for first three hours and double thereafter

so 59280 divided by 52 is $1140 per week, how much would then go on tax roughly.
    The amount of tax you pay has no relation to what visa you're on. Have a look at the tax calculator in one of the threads last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

aido79 wrote: »
    The amount of tax you pay has no relation to what visa you're on. Have a look at the tax calculator in one of the threads last week.
    +1, it is important to note you are considered a resident for tax purposes though, so you get a tax free allowance

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

hussey wrote: »
    +1, it is important to note you are considered a resident for tax purposes though, so you get a tax free allowance

Is it not possible to be classes as a non resident if the wrong box is ticked? I figured that was my story. Roughly a 1/3 of my wage goes to tax! Madness! Good saving scheme tho!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,342 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you visa is a PR visa, you'll be entitled to Medicare so you won't be claiming the levy. But in general I agree with what you are saying.
    NoelAPM wrote: »
    Is it not possible to be classes as a non resident if the wrong box is ticked? I figured that was my story. Roughly a 1/3 of my wage goes to tax! Madness! Good saving scheme tho!

What you pay every week is just an estimate of what you should owe. Your tax isn't actually calculated until the end of the year. If you checked the wrong box you contributions are over-estimated. You could probably have fixed this earlier without waiting until you fill out a return.

NoelAPM wrote: »
    The double negative confuses me as to what you are asking.
    in theory you should be classed as what ever you ticked. If you ticked 'resident' and you are being taxed as a non resident then talk to your pay roll. You can claim it back at tax time either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Is it just super your entitled to claim back?

zweton wrote: »
    You can only claim super back when you leave Australia you can claim tax back after July 1st

zweton wrote: »
    Super is you pension, you get that back (minus tax) when you leave oz for good, or when you retire.

After july to claim back any excess tax you paid over the amount due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 dietdiva

Thanks everyone for the replies, great to get an idea of incomings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 nob rainer

dietdiva wrote: »

some very good posts before mine but remember if you have not lived there ie Australia . every thing is double the price, as i lived there for a year . made enough to live and enjoyed everybit of it but all the weekly sundries were double what they are here . except for beer amazingly enough !! enjoy your trip .

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Instead of opening a new thread, I'll post 2 quick questions here..

1. I pay 29% tax on all my earnings while on a WHV. Because I'll only be here for 3 months, I don't believe I can claim any of this back. Just my super. Correct?

2. If I'm considered an Irish resident for tax purposes, it possible to somehow assign my Irish tax credits to my Australian income as a result of the double taxation treaty? Haven't seen any mention of this before so I assume not...

Thanks

muffinman wrote: »
    1. I pay 29% tax on all my earnings while on a WHV. Because I'll only be here for 3 months, I don't believe I can claim any of this back. Just my super. Correct?
    Not a resident so tax is correct at 29%
    Claiming back tax is for claiming back excess paid plys tax deductable expenses. Since its a flat 29% every week , you won't have paud excess. But you may have expenses which you can claim.
    2. If I'm considered an Irish resident for tax purposes, it possible to somehow assign my Irish tax credits to my Australian income as a result of the double taxation treaty? Haven't seen any mention of this before so I assume not...

Thanks
    You are a non resident not an irish resident. Can't use your tax credits.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Mellor wrote: »
    Not a resident so tax is correct at 29%
    Claiming back tax is for claiming back excess paid plys tax deductable expenses. Since its a flat 29% every week , you won't have paud excess. But you may have expenses which you can claim.

Thanks. Such as?
    You are a non resident not an irish resident. Can't use your tax credits.

I'm a non-resident for Australian tax purposes, but I am an Irish resident for Irish tax purposes. Still pretty sure that Irish tax credits are only valid for income subject to Irish tax anyway...

muffinman wrote: »
    ]
    Thanks. Such as?
    Depends on the job.
    Tools, materials, a car etc.
    Generally thing you had to pay for for work that you had to foot the bill for. Generally.
    I'm a non-resident for Australian tax purposes, but I am an Irish resident for Irish tax purposes...
    Well we were talking about tax on money earned in Australia.

Advertisement