Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vet to trim hamsters nails?

• 22-05-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, just wondering do any hamster owners out there know of a good vet that can trim their nails? Isabellas are getting a bit long and we've tried keeping rough stuff like stones and branches in her cage to wear them down but it's not working. I'm based in Dublin city centre but will travel across the city to find a good vet that knows what he or she is doing (and preferably doesn't charge a bomb!)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Have you tried putting a bit of sandpaper in the cage, provided he doesn't eat it!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Aru

A vet is going to charge you the same amount as any consult for their time im afraid. Size of the pet makes no difference to cost. If you can find a vet where they have vet nurse consults it may be cheaper though.
    Have you tried gently filing them down yourself?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭ashlingm

My vet gives a large discount for small animals especially when it comes to small jobs like that. Normally dog (cats...etc) consultations are about €35, but when I brought my mouse last time it only cost me €8.

Most vets know its a bit mean to charge full consult prices for small animals so do give a discount. Just give them a ring to find out for sure - its a small job so I would be surprised if it was any more then €10 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

We paid about €10 per pig when we took our guinea pigs to have their nails trimmed.

Although to be honest weve started being able to do them ourselves now that they are more used to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Cheers everyone. I think I'll jut ring around and see what some vets say. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I'd say you shouldn't be charged more than €10 that's what we're charged for dogs nails so a hammy shouldn't be any dearer unless you are getting a health check on top. Usually a vet nurse can do it so you don't need to see the vet.

Once it's done keeping the rough stones in the cage is a good idea to see if it can be prevented although some animals nails grow like mad they have to be cut and once you cut them they usually need cutting every now and then.

Advertisement