Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My New Website

Options
  • 22-05-2012 4:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I'm interested in getting some feedback off people about my first personal website www.stevenkirwan.ie

Ways to improve it, things you don't like, etc all opinions welcome!

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭JD RoX

What do you want us to review? How black goes with white? Text shadows look awful and 3 websites isn't considered a portfolio.

Where is contact form?

Sorry I'm so straight forward, but, lying won't answer your questions

• Registered Users Posts: 44 hardtohandle

How is any of that helpful?Apart from the text shadow comment!

I no 3 sites is not much of a portfolio hence why I made the site to try and get more exposure and get more experience!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fokebox

Well done! I think that the font is a little bit big. I would reduce its size!

How is any of that helpful?Apart from the text shadow comment!

I no 3 sites is not much of a portfolio hence why I made the site to try and get more exposure and get more experience!

There was also a reply about contact form, which is needed for all websites (as far as I see, you don't provide it to your clients) ;)

What answers you want to get, honestly? Website is EMPTY, there's nothing to review - It's just black & white. If this was done 10 years ago, it would be acceptable.

All your websites have validation errors, none of them have meta information. Do some design courses, follow some tutorials on the web, get inspiration from design masters - and you will improve.. But before you do, I find it stupid to have your own design service

@fokebox Thank you for the comment I will take that into consideration

@JD RoX The reason I have no contact from is I have no PHP support with my hosting pakage.

Those are exactly the answers I wanted to get what you really think of the site so I can improve it!
    I will take all you have said into consideration and like you said try and improve!

• Advertisement

Create the form on your website, but use external url to define target of the action script for the form ;) most of free hostings support php, you can upload it there

Thanks for the advice JD ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Site isn't responsive, but that's a personal choice I guess.

Header is too big. On my 13" screen (standard resolution) it takes up about a quarter of the screen. I have had clients who demand that the logo is bigger, but here is it really to your detriment, less space to view the rest of the site

"Projects I have worked on are listed in my portfolio (link) and they" Link isn't there. Proof reading m'boy.

"All quotations include set up on face book and twitter if required and general advice on getting hits on your website (SEO) and increasing traffic so your service or business can get the most from the Wonderful World Wide Web!" >> Facebook, Twitter. Explain the SEO acronym. We know what it means but if you're targeting the non-tech savvy community, they may not.

"Let me Design, Develop and Market your website , you'll never look back." Capitals not needed.

Lots of white space on the site. Not necessary. Looks like you dont have anything to fill it.

Your signature on your portfolio sites is too big and obvious. People should be able to find it, but it's rude to shove it in their faces. Also create it as a back link to your site for SEO purposes. Of course, as someone who is offering this as a service, you should really already know this and be doing it.

I like the hover effect on the portfolio section.

The enlarged words under the slideshow looks childish, especially with the extraneous capital letters again.

I don't like having a "home" section on sites, and certainly not a title declaring that. It needs drastic re-thinking. By all means, keep the id="home" so you have a smooth scroll.

Repost when you've made some serious changes and I'll comment on those too to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

You cannot be seriously offering 'web design' services with markup like that. Everything is table based with inline CSS, what a mess. Consider learning semantic markup and use Style sheets.

EDIT:
    My sincerest apologies, i somehow looked at the HTML source of another website instead of yours, so just ignore my comments :D

/runs off to hide in shame :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Overflow wrote: »
    You cannot be seriously offering 'web design' services with markup like that. Everything is table based with inline CSS, what a mess. Consider learning semantic markup and use Style sheets.

I'd be surprised if you actually know how to write HTML and Javascript. I presume you are using some sort of visual HTML editor ??

There is no inline css that I can see. Did a search for "style" ( i.e. div style="x") and there were only two occurrences, none for inline styling.

There are also no tables. It's div based.

The code actually looks more or less hand written, with the comments in.

Far be it from me to defend this website (see my previous post) but I'm not about to attack something wrong with it that doesn't exist.

Also the jquery library in use is WAYYYY out of date. No excuse for a new site tbh. Copy&pasting code then?

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the comments lads!Exactly what I wanted/needed!
    Gonna have a re-think about the site, all aspects of it and will re post when I'm done!

Thanks again for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

JD RoX wrote: »
    There was also a reply about contact form, which is needed for all websites (as far as I see, you don't provide it to your clients) ;)

What answers you want to get, honestly? Website is EMPTY, there's nothing to review - It's just black & white. If this was done 10 years ago, it would be acceptable. quote.gif

All your websites have validation errors, none of them have meta information. Do some design courses, follow some tutorials on the web, get inspiration from design masters - and you will improve.. But before you do, I find it stupid to have your own design service

META Tags !!! :mad::mad:

Who uses them today ? just a way to Data Mine your Site. and use Web Crawlies that are now dead

Cork24 wrote: »
    META Tags !!! :mad::mad:

Who uses them today ? just a way to Data Mine your Site. and use Web Crawlies that are now dead

Google is more alive than ever - Panda, Penguin, Paginator.. Any familiar?

I agree about Meta Keywords, they are not as important any more, but title and description are still very important. If your site doesn't have a quality content, then there's no other way how to rank high.

Read up before you make silly comments ;)

JD RoX wrote: »
    Google is more alive than ever - Panda, Penguin, Paginator.. Any familiar?

I agree about Meta Keywords, they are not as important any more, but title and description are still very important. If your site doesn't have a quality content, then there's no other way how to rank high.

Read up before you make silly comments ;)

Google dont use Meta Tags...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Google don't use meta keywords tags. Some other significant search engines still do, so they are not totally worthless yet. The description is still very much in play for Google. They also use many other ones for stuff like geo-location, Google+ etc.

Who are you kidding? Recent algorithms was all about stuffed meta keywords.. Meta description is what shows up straight under your title in google - never noticed that? Keyword tag is not useful anymore, but it doesn't mean rest of them aren't. I don't know where you smart arses get your ideas from...

You just answered your own comment about google not using meta tags... KEYWORDS are not used... There are more than one meta tag, you know..

Advertisement