Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

13 tonne digger hire

• 22-05-2012 4:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Wheres the cheapest place to hire a 13tonne excavator for a month, self drive & delivered?
    I'm within 20 miles of athlone/tullamore. What would be a fair price?

CHEERS.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

there is a place between edgeworthstown and longford. I dont know the name sorry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Mannings is the place in ongford. You could also approach McSharry's in Roscommon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 544 ✭✭✭NewBeefFarmer

let me know the price. . i hired one in 2009 for two weeks for 2k. was also a 13tonne

now. . a self drive is different, as u can be on it from 7am to 10pm these days. . . so ud get a lot of work done.

mind u. . diesel is another story. . even with agri. .

oops. . should have said. . im in mayo, so ud hardly get it form the place i did in castlebar.

let me know the price. . i hired one in 2009 for two weeks for 2k. was also a 13tonne

now. . a self drive is different, as u can be on it from 7am to 10pm these days. . . so ud get a lot of work done.

mind u. . diesel is another story. . even with agri. .

oops. . should have said. . im in mayo, so ud hardly get it form the place i did in castlebar.

2k is serious money.
    I can have an experienced digger driver with a 14 ton machine for 50 hours for 2k - including diesel. Even though I have a years experience of driving a machine, this guy can get through about 30% more work than me in a day and a lot tidier. It doesn't make sense for me to hire in a machine without a driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

You can get a 13 tonne digger from Gaynors in Tibohine in Roscommon for €100 a day, at least you could 2 years ago anyways, that was delivered as well, I would assume they would deliver to Athlone/Tullamore area as they are constantly transporting diggers all over the country.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

not a 13 tonne digger but a jcb telescopic loader was €150 for the day last week delivered tom hoeys in louth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

Last summer when diesel was slightly cheaper I got drainage done. 2 diggers, 1 a 17.5 tonne CAT, the other a 21 tonne CAT a Steyr 9145 pulling a stoning car and 3 men. They were there for 44 hours and the cost was €3000 including VAT. To hire a digger myself would have been madness imo as I'd still be sitting on it and it would have cost more in the long run.

Last summer when diesel was slightly cheaper I got drainage done. 2 diggers, 1 a 17.5 tonne CAT, the other a 21 tonne CAT a Steyr 9145 pulling a stoning car and 3 men. They were there for 44 hours and the cost was €3000 including VAT. To hire a digger myself would have been madness imo as I'd still be sitting on it and it would have cost more in the long run.

To add to that, even if you did hire in just the machine, unless you have a minimum of 5 years experience of driving a digger, you will never do as neat of job as the contractor. There are loads of people in this country who think that they are professional digger drivers, but in reality, all most of them ever did was load muck - something that a 10 year old could master in a few hours!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

reilig wrote: »

To add to that, even if you did hire in just the machine, unless you have a minimum of 5 years experience of driving a digger, you will never do as neat of job as the contractor. There are loads of people in this country who think that they are professional digger drivers, but in reality, all most of them ever did was load muck - something that a 10 year old could master in a few hours!!
    I laugh every time someone says i'm too dear that they can hire a digger for half what im charging, only to get a call a couple of weeks later to finish the job as it was after costing too much to hire the digger and they got nothing done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,619 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

get man & machine . i know a man done the 'cheap' option of self drive . spent all day getting off & on digger to move trailer and go for diesel and tea and ended up shoveling into the bucket.... got fech all done . :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Suckler

reilig wrote: »

+1. I've hired diggers for self drive + getting someone in. Putting in roads and stoning up a yard is no problem, like you said nothing too complicated.

Drains are a different job, getting falls right and leaving the place tidy took me 2 or 3 times longer than a properly experienced guy. We had a lad in to scrape drains he was able to just dip the bucket once and move on, i found myself going back on bits. I always managed to leave soil in mounds rather than neatly rounded off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

A food man on a machine makes it look easy, real easy. That's why lots of lads think they could do it themselves.
    The reality is very different when your in the seat yourself.

My BIL has a machine and was clearing drains for me, he let me have a go and it was torture to get right. Id say he would be three or four times faster and a better finish too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

M & S are the place in Egdeworthstown

I have a 3Ton mini digger and am no way good on it. But i am at least twice as efficent now as i was 4 years ago when i got it. Thats 4 years training all for free. Your training is expensive if your paying to hire the digger

I paid €40 ph for a Ex 120 for 6hrs. included moving in and out. In 6 hours he moved cattle slats and dug up 8 big tree stumps and buried and leveled a ditch. what im saying is know your limits, i had my digger but got the 12ton in. I ran around moving straps and stuff so he was always active.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

diggers are like guitars..everybody can play 3 chords and they thing are bruce springsteen, a not that many people can play a decent tune in a session or party..and fewer are the ones that can REALLY play guitar...;););)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

eorna wrote: »
    diggers are like guitars..everybody can play 3 chords and they thing are bruce springsteen, a not that many people can play a decent tune in a session or party..and fewer are the ones that can REALLY play guitar...;););)
    A digger driver with over 40 years experience said that he was still learning something new everyday!

Advertisement