Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solicitor Fees

Options
  • 22-05-2012 4:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

I'm wondering how much an average Unfair dismissal case would cost? As I have just received a bill from my solicitor and that is €2900. But I have been in their office only once and it was only one court hearing, so they had to get a barrister.

It just looks a bit high to me especially from they start they said that it will not be more than 10% of the award and now they just explain that as it took such a long time...

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Did you get a detailed statement of costs? Unfortunately, once a barrister has to do a bit of work that can substantially increase things.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

1. You dont say whether case taken before EAT or Court ( onis pf proof differs

2. Investigating unfair dismissal takes some time. Detailed statement required from claimant, fellow workers, trade unon etc.

3. Correspondence etc to be checked against firms Gievance procedures etc

4. €2,000 would not go far in paying for above

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Koni wrote: »
    But I have been in their office only once and it was only one court hearing, so they had to get a barrister.

Your solicitor doesn't just work on the case when you are in front of him/her yknow.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Koni

The case was heard in EAT. Company went to liquidation after that, so I had to deal with liquidator and unsolvency claims payments myself.

The breakdown I got is Fee + Vat + Stationery Costs. Should Fee part be broken down?

I do understand that solicitor do not work only when in court or I'm in the office, but they did not provide any help with Liquidator or Insolvency Payments, and was changing barristers all over the place just one day before the hearing. So putting all that together I really do not feel that fee is fare, especially all that happened 3 years ago when the fees were lower I assume.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Fee is reasonable for reasons I have already set out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

It would help if the fee note detailed the work undertaken, for example all the correspondence involved, the documents created/submitted and so on. I have some limited knowledge of typical legal fees and do not believe the amount is massive, given that unfair dismissal claims are typically difficult enough situations. However, there should be more to a statement of costs than just an amount, if you genuinely believe you are being overcharged then the taxing master might be able to help

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/justice/courts_system/office_of_the_taxing_master.html

Advertisement