Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up grading the licence, A rip off?

Options
  • 22-05-2012 4:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

My husband has a full licence since 1999 and realised that he didn't have EB on it. So he did his theory test, eye test and will be getting an learner permit. He will have 2 licences, A learner permit just to tow a double wheel trailer! (which is ridculous) and a full licence.
    The cost was
    Theory test CD €33
    Test booking €45
    Eye Test €25
    Learner permit €15
    Total is €118 and not only that, he will have to do lessons and a driving test with the trailer which is going to cost more. I think this is a rip off:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

What price do you put on road safety?

Towing a loaded double wheel trailer is not the easiest thing in the world. You need to know the speed limits, what to do if the trailer gets ahead of itself, safe load limits, reversing, taking sharp turns, knowing the clearance limits of bridges if you are pulling machinery.

A lot to learn.

€118 to know how to do it all safely and to have someone confirm you know what to do is not bad.

btw - specsavers €15 for eye test

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The trailers this licence is required for have maximum weight in excess of 750kg. That's not a small amount of weight, and is more than enough to completely change the handling of even the largest 4WD vehicle.
    Even mundane things like turning corners and reversing are completely different with trailers this size, I wouldn't trust anyone to drive with one without them being properly tested for it.

At the end of the day, if it's something he needs, then he has to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Then you won't be trusting me. Normally take corners up on two wheels with the trailer in front of my jeep and try to over take it on the inside.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

katy67 wrote: »
    My husband has a full licence since 1999 and realised that he didn't have EB on it. So he did his theory test, eye test and will be getting an learner permit. He will have 2 licences, A learner permit just to tow a double wheel trailer! (which is ridculous) and a full licence.

He's in for some fun when he realises he has to have somebody who's had an EB licence for over 2 years in the car with him at all times while towing

It's got nothing to do with how many axles the trailer has if you need EB, it's on the DGVW of the trailer and the DGVW of the tow car.

The cost was
    Theory test CD €33
    Test booking €45
    Eye Test €25
    Learner permit €15
    Total is €118 and not only that, he will have to do lessons and a driving test with the trailer which is going to cost more. I think this is a rip off:mad:

That's the cost of getting a learners permit, what's so different from you're husband except he's got a licence to drive something else? As others have said driving with a big trailer isn't the same as driving a car.

BTW have you checked the regulations for the towing vehicle being used in the test and what trailers you have to pull?

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭katy67

Guys l agree with what you saying
    It just that my husband has a full licence since 1999 and always drove with the trailers and he knows the danger and safety of them. If it was his 1st time driving with the trailer, it would be fine Anyway he will just have to do it.
    It just the costs of it that we're not happy with:(

He knows that he has to have someone with him when driving with the trailer, Poor thing!:D

Is it true you can't draw trailers, horseboxes (except small trailers) or caravans with a car, it will have to be pulled by a jeep!
    How many drivers are doing that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,771 ✭✭✭irelandrover

The cost was
    Theory test CD €33
    Test booking €45
    Eye Test €25
    Learner permit €15

Got my license recently in the Netherlands.
    €50 for theory test
    €50 for book for theory test
    €230 for driving exam.
    €55 for the license.

license seems like a bargain in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

He might not need it at all, if the Vehicle weight is greater than that MAM weight of the trailer he's fine on an EB license.

http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicle/About-your-Vehicle/Example-of-non-Dup/Trailers-/Technical-Trailer-Requirements-/

For O2 Trailers

If you have an ordinary Category B licence, you may:
    Tow an O2 trailer, provided that the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed the un-laden weight of the towing vehicle, and the total design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed a total of 3.5 tonnes..

Basically as long as the car is heavier than the unladen weight of the trailer you can tow it as long as the combined weight of the trailer and the thing on it is under 3.5 tonnes.

The amount of axles doesnt matter.

Is it true you can't draw trailers, horseboxes (except small trailers) or caravans with a car, it will have to be pulled by a jeep!
    How many drivers are doing that?

Lies.

The only restriction is what the draw vehicle is plated to tow not how many wheels can provide traction, assuming you've a suitable licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sailordog13

Hasn't anyone picked up on the OPs comment about also needing lessons !

Jobs for the boys.....
    It sickens me, the sheer extortion we put up with.

Jobs for the boys.....

Since when is being thought how to safely control several tonnes of vehicle and trailer a rip off? It's dodgy enough letting people tow the weights you can on a B, EB is a different level.

Driving is a life long learning process and if you want to upgrade your licence(s) it's going to cost.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Jesus wept, how long before the Boards Motorists Wimps & NIMBYs group is standing outside the Dail with a petition demanding Continuous Professional Development for licence retention every 3 weeks? Would ye ever go 'way and live on an island together. One without roads would probably suit best.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Jobs for the boys.....

Ugh ...yeh .. honestly if I was towing more than 3.5 tonnes I'd kinda want lessons :)

Have seen many a Van towing a Trailer + Car having near misses due to not being able to judge the stopping distance (way way further)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The theory test cd was an optional item, no?

l think it was optional to buy it. He was told the cd was alot better and helpful than the book and it was. After my husband did the test, he was told you could it from the library!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

Guys l agree with what you saying
    It just that my husband has a full licence since 1999 and always drove with the trailers and he knows the danger and safety of them. If it was his 1st time driving with the trailer, it would be fine ...
    The other side of it is he's managed to get away with driving illegally since 1999 and somehow avoided a bunch of fines for no proper licence, no proper insurance, etc. I'm sure ye'll do the decent thing now and declare all those motoring offences as well and pay the fines without whinging about having to be legal.

That is ridiculous
    No, he wasn't not driving illegally

Check out this website
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Your-Vehicl...Requirements-/
    Quote: For O2 Trailers

If you have an ordinary Category B licence, you may:
    Tow an O2 trailer, provided that the DGVW of the trailer does not exceed the un-laden weight of the towing vehicle, and the total design gross vehicle weight of the combination does not exceed a total of 3.5 tonnes..

He bought a jeep recently which meant when driving with the trailer and load, it was over the total weight of 3.5 tonnes.
    He realised then that he had to have EB.
    Don't worry he has a learner permit for it now

Advertisement