Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ET already making contact?

Options
  • 22-05-2012 5:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭

I just came by a video on Youtube with lots of UFO's and strange sightings in the sky. I know lots of these can be explained but there is also a lot that can't be. As an amateur astronomer I belief in life outside our own planet, I find it incredibly narrow minded and arrogant to think we are along amongst the trillions of planets out there(yes I know we haven't found all of them:p).
    So my question, do you think we are being looked upon(studied perhaps) or are another advanced civilization trying to contact us directly? I would like to think after all these sightings all over the world maybe its happening(I have a feeling I'll regret this one:o) So whats your view on this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

::eek:.......runs for tinfoil hat

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Doom wrote: »
    ::eek:.......runs for tinfoil hat

That might not be the best idea...

Researchers prove tinfoil hats boost receptivity to government signals

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beeker

The universe is almost certainly full of life and intelligence. One day hopefully in my lifetime we will confirm this. Are they visiting us? I think not. I for one would be delighted if they were, but there is not a single shread of proof that they are.
    It is foolish to make the jump from "I see something I cannot explain in the sky"...to.." it must be aliens".
    As the great Carl Sagan said "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence"
    We must always keep an open mind but not so open that our brains fall out:)

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭mooliki

So long as all people have are videos of lights and weird cloud formations in the sky and frantic sounding people on talk shows then there's no reason to assume there's any validity to such claims. You'll find the same vague "evidence" for any other form of paranormal activity; ghost sightings, abductions, angels, spiritual encounters, bigfoot. Similarly with conspiracy theories. Without concrete explanations and evidence there is no reason to believe any one of them over others. In regards to the idea that sightings seem to be increasing, I would say that's purely down to the fact that more people are walking around with cameras in their pockets (fuzzy, low-pixel phone cameras?).

If you google the events from that video or look on youtube you can find possible explanations for some of them (failed missile test, halo clouds, chinese lanterns).

Like all such phenomenon, the main factor that determines what someone accepts as true usually depends on whether the person wants to believe something rational is happening (and therefore focus on the first word of the phrase; "unidentified") or whether they want to believe they're witnessing something special and give preference to whatever explanation validates their own opinion.

p.s. I have no doubt there is life outside of this planet (purely going on the odds). I do doubt they're flying space donuts over Norway or doing light shows over russia. I could be wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 bergheim

Plug,

I am also an amateur astronomer. Have got a 10 inch DOB.

I am somewhat sceptical to many of the UFO reports in that Video. I think anything with a tale behind it can be explained as being a rocket or exchaust from a jet.

However I am convised that there is intelligent life in the universe. Telescopes such as Hubble and Kepler have come up with some ineresting discoveries. And better telescopes, more powerful are being built, such as the ALMA radiotelescope in Chile.

I think we have been visited by ET's. There are some UFO cases around with good evidence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,300 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Intelligent life 'out there'. Would be nice to see some 'down here' first...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Until an ET is shown live on the news there is no way I could accept that any alien creature has visited this planet. And even then I'll be sceptical until there is concrete scientific proof. I am convinced that there has to be intelligent life out in the billions of planets but there is no proof anywhere to show that any have visited us. Unless they have perfected warp propulsion then it would take hundreds, if not millions of years for any sort of craft to reach us.

Real proof = acceptance

Oh.....lights in the sky are nothing to get excited about.......here is a site that can predict them :)

http://www.heavens-above.com/iridium.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Tomk1

Real question is, with thousands of Amatuer/pro Astronomers spending hours out looking at the night sky, how come none of then ever report seeing UFO's? Many have the best of equipment which can take snapshots. It's usually people who wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a planet & a star in the night sky let alone ever observed a satellite/space-junk travelling on a non-geostationary orbit.

There is a great book think it's 'man and the stars' which goes through the timeline's needed for a civilisation to exist within it's own solar-system then reach interplanetary travel (which we have yet todo apart from robotic) and then interstar travel. One of the biggest problems is the time needed to travel between the stars within our own little milky-way nevermind to other galaxies, the other is detecting life on another planet is currently near to imposible from observation, so picking somewhere to go would be more by the probability that life could exist within a star-system, if there is life found after a few hundren + years space travel, it could be at any stage within say a billion years of evolution, we've been around 20,000-ish years a couple of which as intelligent. Or the life found could be from a ship sent from Earth 100 years latter travelling twice the velocity.

I just can't see why an ET would spend huge resources and decades travelling to Earth and not bother say Hi (unless of course there just into analprobing)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

With the countless number of planets out there, some must be capable of having life exist on them. Of these, some probably have some form of intelligent life.

Of these intelligent life forms, some may have technological capabilities, and of these a few possibly have more advanced technology than our own.

Have they been trying to communicate with us?

Probably not, as if they had we would have noticed them leaping up and down and waving to us.

Maybe one day in the future it will happen, if they ever notice us at all. Or if we ever see them first.

What if they're here already? Moderating boards....?!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭thecornflake

That video is extremely weird. The guy making the phone call doesn't sound like he is sobbing, it actually sounds like he is trying not to laugh.

He says extra-dimensional beings have infiltrated the military. Right, so these beings are going through great lengths to wipe out large population centers so that they can control the rest of us ? Ask yourself this, why ? and why would they bother appearing over random places in the sky so people can take really shaky and grainy video clips of them if they are trying to catch us by surprise ?

I have to say I do like these UFO stories and all the sightings, but mainly from a good story point of view, not as fact.

I for one will not be wearing my tin foil hat as I believe that will do nothing to protect me, cling film on the other hand, that's the way forward, that stuff is really messy. Think about it, the aliens would get all caught up in it and stuck, they would be powerless to then suck out/listen in on my brain.

That video is extremely weird. The guy making the phone call doesn't sound like he is sobbing, it actually sounds like he is trying not to laugh.

He says extra-dimensional beings have infiltrated the military. Right, so these beings are going through great lengths to wipe out large population centers so that they can control the rest of us ? Ask yourself this, why ? and why would they bother appearing over random places in the sky so people can take really shaky and grainy video clips of them if they are trying to catch us by surprise ?

I have to say I do like these UFO stories and all the sightings, but mainly from a good story point of view, not as fact.

I for one will not be wearing my tin foil hat as I believe that will do nothing to protect me, cling film on the other hand, that's the way forward, that stuff is really messy. Think about it, the aliens would get all caught up in it and stuck, they would be powerless to then suck out/listen in on my brain.
    Cling film only works if its lined with crunchy peanut butter. Otherwise it acts as an amplifier. Careful now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,101 ✭✭✭squonk

I don't think we're along in the universe either and that, almost certainly, there exists intelligent life somewhere else out there. There's certainly a high probability of it. If somebody out there does have the technology to cover the vast distances and visit us at will, then I'd presume they'd also have the technology to cruise around invisibly and not get picked up on shakycam for posting on YouTube! It's quite likely we will have that technology in the near to mid future.

I generally take UFO stories with a pinch of salt. Most likely they're the result of people not knowing what they're looking at. We even see it here in this forum with the posters enquiring about Venus/Sirius and wondering were they planes or UFO's and I won't start on Chinese Lanterns. Even when something cannot be readilly explained, there's a higher chance of the thing being prototype military technology than little green men.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jumpjack

FanadMan wrote: »
    but there is no proof anywhere to show that any have visited us.
    That's not correct, Bible clearly describes advanced technology and air transportation systems existing 4000 years ago. :eek: I'm not yet sure if they "came from another world" or were from a previous civilization, though... it's only certain these "devices" were here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

jumpjack wrote: »
    That's not correct, Bible clearly describes advanced technology and air transportation systems existing 4000 years ago. :eek: I'm not yet sure if they "came from another world" or were from a previous civilization, though... it's only certain these "devices" were here.

Not an expert on the bible myself but I think that is down to interpretation. I do not think that [ it's only certain these "devices" were here ] as you say is particularly true at all. And nowhere in the bible does it CLEARLY describe advanced technology to my knowledge. If you have a particular passage that CLEARLY describes such things perhaps you could enlighten me?

Rubecula wrote: »
    If you have a particular passage that CLEARLY describes such things perhaps you could enlighten me?
    Ever read Ezekiel? ;)
    http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=ezekiel%201:1-30&version=NIV

He clearly saw something mechanical he was not able to describe due to lack of specific words: in those times, these words didn't exist:

List 1:

- lamp
    - electricity
    - engine
    - rotor
    - glass
    - blinking light
    - jet
    - screw propeller
    - undercarriage

I tried to compile kind of a small "ancient-modern" dictionary: for each ancient word select the most suitable related word:

List 2
    wheel: rounded
    wings: flight, long, simmetry, prominent
    fire: light, red, white, hot
    hurricane: wind, dust, loud noise
    human being: standing up? face?
    lion: mane, power, king, claws, , ...?
    bull: strength, horns, male,...?
    eagle: wings, power, flight, claws, feathers,
    sapphire: ???
    lapis lazuli: ???
    throne: ???

Now, try to describe this object landing, with the pilot talking to surrounding people through onboard speakers, without using words in list 1, but just words in list 2, and see what comes out. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

And because it's written in the Bible it's deemed as 'proof'?

There is no proof at all, because it hasn't happened yet. If they were here, I highly doubt they'd be flying around in craft with lights on them advertising the fact. I think it's far more plausible that the military do be testing new/advanced designs

EnterNow wrote: »
    And because it's written in the Bible it's deemed as 'proof'?
    Yes, if Bible has been written before Wright's brothers made their first flight by a machine havier than air (1904, AFAIR).
    There is no proof at all, because it hasn't happened yet. If they were here, I highly doubt they'd be flying around in craft with lights on them advertising the fact. I think it's far more plausible that the military do be testing new/advanced designs
    Military experiments in 2000 B.C. ?!? Yes, it's quite probable indeed. I wonder who these people were. :D I can't know if they were terrestrial or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Yes, if Bible has been written before Wright's brothers made their first flight by a machine havier than air (1904, AFAIR).

The Bible is a collection of stories that have been told & retold, translated & retranslated, interpreted & reinterpreted over centuries. It is not accepted as fact. There are also many other religions to consider, they can't all be correct despite many many people devoting their lives to the writings of their choice. Let's not turn this into a religious debate, but I think it's fairly safe to say, the Bible & all other ancient religious writings do not constitute proof of alien visitations.
    Military experiments in 2000 B.C. ?!? Yes, it's quite probable indeed. I wonder who these people were. :D I can't know if they were terrestrial or not.

I was talking in the broader sense, & relating to current sightings.

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Re the OPs video (some of it anyway)

Moscow looks like a lenticular cloud.
    New York was balloons from an engagement party.
    Norway spiral was a malfunctioning Russian Bulava missile.
    Jerusalem is a confirmed hoax
    There also seems to be a lot of Chinese lanterns in there....but the Chinese UFO is pretty interesting and as far as I know, still unexplained.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭k.p.h

I think we are more likely to encounter beings from a different dimension than a different planet..!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

Plug wrote: »
    I find it incredibly narrow minded and arrogant to think we are along amongst the trillions of planets out there

Far more arrogant to think they would travel thousands of light years to study us

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

Date
    27-09-2010

Event

Seven former U.S. Air Force personnel gathered in Washington Monday to recount UFO sightings over nuclear weapons facilities in decades past – accounts that a UFO researcher says show extraterrestrial beings are interested in the world’s nuclear arms race and may be sending humans a message

More Information and video on CNN here

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2010/09/27/ufos-showed-interest-in-nukes-ex-air-force-personnel-say/

Full Video of event here on youtube. 1:27 Hours:minutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

accounts that a UFO researcher says show extraterrestrial beings are interested in the world’s nuclear arms race and may be sending humans a message

How come they can travel across the universe but can't figure out a way to send us this message clearly?

al28283 wrote: »
    Far more arrogant to think they would travel thousands of light years to study us
    Nope. They'd only travel that distance to give us a good kick in the hole to stop us wastin' time on boards.ie and get out inventin' warp drives and hoverboards and suchlike. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Cork boy 55

al28283 wrote: »
    How come they can travel across the universe but can't figure out a way to send us this message clearly?

He is wrong.

It is not a message to borrow a quote from Film prometheus
    "We could not have been more wrong"(about the drawings being an invitation)

It is a recon, a probe , They now know how to disable the ICBM's.
    What's is the first thing you would do and have to do right away if invading Earth?

Wheter their entry into the planet will be hostile or friendly is debatable(see link).
    Hopefully they will just shut down the nukes for your own good and to avoid a Accidently discharge during First offical contact or maybe not.

Baum, Seth; Haqq-Misra, Jacob; Domagal-Goldman, Shawn. "Would Contact with Extraterrestrials Benefit or Harm Humanity? A Scenario Analysis", Acta Astronautica, 2011, 68 (11-12):2014-2129, April 22, 2011, accessed August 18, 2011.

f9oxvm.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

I think a lot of the 'unexplained' sightings result from new technologies, typically military, such as the following French spy plane due for testing this year:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3naYhi-lCU

or this one from USA:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_Martin_RQ-170_Sentinel

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

I'd agree with maguffin. Given the first stealth planes were flying in the mid 70's what engineers in lockheed and others have cooked up since may look very much like "UFO's". One interesting one was a chap on an oil rig in the north sea who observed a KC130 tanker mid air refueling a long black triangular craft. The chap was ex military observer corp who knew his aircraft so a very good witness. Another bit of a hint is seismic stations in California that have picked up sonic boom shockwaves racing out into the Pacific. Both of these may be the so called Project Aurora. If you saw one of those you'd likely be calling up captain Kirk. Another interesting one was the Belgian airforce who scrambled F16's to intercept a "UFO" and it was tracked by three different radars including the F16's weapon system that got a momentary lock on the object. This object made maneuvers that were well outside the envelope of conventional aircraft. This object certainly existed, it was flying and was most definitely unidentified. Doubt it was little green men mind you.

Then there's one theory that some form of antigravity was invented/discovered decades ago(possibly by the German's in WW2) and has been hushed up since. If true that would really look like a UFO. It sounds just as "fringe" as anal probes at first sight, but a few non loonies have put some store in it. I read a good book on the subject(whose name escapes) written by a Jane's defence group writer who followed the story around the world within the aerospace industry and he and the contributors made some compelling arguments for it.

I'd put far more store in this idea than aliens. Like others I can't see why aliens would make such "expensive" trips to buzz farmers in Arkansas. It makes no sense. Now because they are so alien it might make sense to them, but I doubt it.

If we ever do see an alien craft in our solar system I'd reckon it would be an intelligent probe, not a biological visit. That would be "cheap" to do. Send loads of such probes out in all directions, interconnected to each other like a spreading network. Doesn't matter how long they take to get anywhere as time wouldn't be an issue for non biological life that would only wake up when near something interesting. They could also park in a place that had the potential to be interesting and await developments a la 2001.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement