Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"How are you?"

• 22-05-2012 5:52pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭

"I'm grand"

Why is this always the standard reply? I mean your leg could be falling off; hanging by a thread, your wife, children, mother in law and dog all could have just been massacred by a raving lunatic and guess what, you're grand!!

Have we problems admitting how we really feel or are we so tenacious that nothing can faze us?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

"I'm grand"

Why is this always the standard reply? I mean your leg could be falling off; hanging by a thread, your wife, children, mother in law and dog all could have just been massacred by a raving lunatic and guess what, you're grand!!

Have we problems admitting how we really feel or are we so tenacious that nothing can faze us?

When people ask that question, they rarely care for an answer, that's why there is a standard reply!

How's she cuttin'?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

We're Irish. In Ireland everything is grand. Even if you just attempted suicide you're grand.

When people ask "How are you?" you're not actually supposed to answer. It's more like a greeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

"I'm grand"

because when I ask "How are you?" I don't actually give a shit about you.
    It's just a greeting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭judgefudge

I'm pretty sure if my leg was hanging off I wouldn't say 'I'm grand'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

What if you are grand though?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

"Not too bad" is another staple reply...

Guess its rude to say "I'm currently filled with an unopposed rage to punch every human on the street in the face without any consideration"...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

What if your name is Grant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Because when you answer honestly people back away slowly.

Can't be dealin with any of the reality stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I used to say "Era, not bad" but recently I've changed it to "Pretty good". This is irrespective of how I actually feel. It's probably a result of those pesky Americans I'm currently inundated with.

True story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

I often give the correct response....monday morning, "how are ya?" - "little bit tired tbh, coulda done with a few more hours in bed". .... "youself?"

I mean if your looking to start a conversation I woudnt be very helpfull if I gave cookie cutter responses now would I ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

"Fine" is the new "grand".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,299 ✭✭✭✭later12

"I'm grand"

Why is this always the standard reply?
    Because we are not Americans. We do not wear our feelings on our sleeve thank-you-very-much. This isn't Oprah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I used to answer with how I actually was. Then realised people don't actually want to know. It's funny how it's become a greeting. Why not just say 'hello'? It's weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

At least it's not as weird as "how do you do?" which is meant to be answered with "how do you do?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,822 ✭✭✭stimpson

"Horny - thanks for askin'"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

Ticking along, boss!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭splashthecash

I've taken to replying to insincere questions like this with "Awesome". Usually people are so off-put by my apparent American-ism they never talk to me again...works a treat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

How am I what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

You have an admirable set of mental priorities.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

I used to answer with how I actually was. Then realised people don't actually want to know. It's funny how it's become a greeting. Why not just say 'hello'? It's weird.

I always just say "hello"...

Then slowly walk away after the prevailing silence....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

later12 wrote: »
    Because we are not Americans. We do not wear our feelings on our sleeve thank-you-very-much. This isn't Oprah.

Now Joe, no need for the Oprah dig. Just because she's on television while you're stuck on the radio..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 179 ✭✭branbee

After too many times finding myself answering even though the person is long gone i just nod when asked! I prob look like a right idiot but not as stupid as when Im talking to myself about how my day is going!
    I hate when you ask someone how they are and they reply with how are you? Eh i asked you first!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭AskMyChocolate

How's she cuttin'?

Up the middle and down the sides.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

later12 wrote: »

No we're Irish. We bury our feelings at the bottom of a bottle of guinness and whiskey :rolleyes:

Haha. Ditto.
    I used to answer '**** actually' then wait for reaction. If people asked for more they got more :D
    More often than not they just looked confused and backed away. Or else made some smart remark - which I followed up with sarcastic 'I'm sorry if my pain and suffering offends you' - jsut to watch em squirm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

A regular one I use/hear is:

Well any craic?

Ah damn all.

It's just an informal greeting, noone wants to hear a long answer with everything that's going on with you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

There's no point in complaining because nobody would listen, therefor most Irish people are grand...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

shrewdness wrote: »
    A regular one I use/hear is:

Well any craic?

Ah damn all.

It's just an informal greeting, noone wants to hear a long answer with everything that's going on with you.
    Was just going to post the same thing. I never know how to answer 'what's the craic?'
    "Fuck all... you?" usually works.

A bloke I know was telling me the other day he spoke to a bloke at a bar once, saying 'how's the craic?'. Not 'getting' the phrase, he replied, mumblingly, 'yeah it was alright, how's yours?".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,108 ✭✭✭RachaelVO

My Dad used to always answer "middlin ta tepid" and now he just says "worser"
    and it doesn't matter who asks him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Haha. Ditto.
    I used to answer '**** actually' then wait for reaction. If people asked for more they got more :D
    More often than not they just looked confused and backed away. Or else made some smart remark - which I followed up with sarcastic 'I'm sorry if my pain and suffering offends you' - jsut to watch em squirm

Ireland is one of the few places where people can respond "Fcuking terrible" and ye both have a small laugh and move on, no questions asked.

Equally you can say something along the lines of "Tippin' away like a small dumper" and not get called upon it :D

The Yanks are no craic in that regard :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Oh everything is just Tickety Boo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

It's just a formal thing we do. No big deal. Usual answer is fcuk all happening/I'm grand or whatever, (depending on the question), said by the 2 parties involved but after that the actual conversation starts and you get to swap a few stories or whatever.
    If you're just passing someone and acknowledging them then it doesn't matter what you say. Whether it's How's it going/How are things or one of my particular favorites which is an understated 'Well'.
    It's basic social interaction. It needs little dissection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Shryke wrote: »
    Whether it's How's it going/How are things or one of my particular favorites which is an understated 'Well'.
    It's basic social interaction. It needs little dissection.

I love well :) walking down the road at home, someone passes, 'well', 'well'... and stroll on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 595 ✭✭✭ElvisChrist6

"I ****ing hate my life, God I wish I was dead"

"... Okay so, take care anyway! :D"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭carrick79

A fella once said to me that he was "Terrible. Thank God." when I asked. I liked that response and use it myself sometimes. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

"How are ya?"

"Ah, can't complain."

"Sure who'd listen?"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

carrick79 wrote: »
    A fella once said to me that he was "Terrible. Thank God." when I asked. I liked that response and use it myself sometimes. :)
    There was an auld fella I used to know who'd say that. Hes dead since. Maybe I should have taken him more seriously!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

Person A - "How are you"
    Person B - "constipated"
    Person A - :eek:||
    V

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I always say "any craic?" just to throw them..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

xzanti wrote: »
    I always say "any craic?" just to throw them..

I hate it when people do that, because you either have to stunt the conversation with a no, or else put in actual effort to reply.

Ugh. I hate effort. =(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It REALLY throws people if you don't give one of the standard replies.
    Even if you don't say anything too uncomfortable like "well actually I've started back on my pills coz I've become quite depressed again", but if you just say like "I'm not the best at the moment to be honest" or "could be better" etc... people just aren't expecting it, and they don't want to hear it, and they squirm away as quick as they can.

I think they assume if they stay, they'll have to go down the route of "oh no - what's wrong?", even if it was quite obvious by your intonations, expressions, body language etc... that you have no more of an interest in doing that, than they have in listening to it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

"I'm grand"

Why is this always the standard reply?
    One of the definitions of a bore is someone who when asked how they are , tells you.

, but it provides an oppertuni
    It's just keep-alive traffic to keep the communication channels open. Information is not usually transferred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

"I'm grand" = "I don't really want to talk to you"

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Fizzlesque

How's she cuttin'?

Like a blade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Out Of The Night

I was terribly honest a few weeks ago. In my friends house with girls I've known for years. One response was an 'oh', the other was 'I am sorry to hear that'. Followed by a nice dose of silence and then carrying on with the rest of the evenings banalaties (I'm not sure if thats a word-banalaties).

Advertisement