Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

posting perfume to the UK?

• 22-05-2012 6:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hey there,

Being buying & selling on ebay for a while. Today I tried to post a perfume I sold on ebay to the UK but was told I could no longer send liquids abroad???

This is sooo crazy. Is there any way round this? Any other companies that people know I could use?

Don't really want to to have to cancel the buyer and refund!!:(

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 coll123

Airlines will no longer accept liquids, gels, creams etc in post. The only option is to try and find a company that will ship the goods to UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 254 ✭✭jillyb

Thanks for the reply.

Just wondering was this always the case? A i have sent perfume to the UK before and wasnt asked what it was or had it confiscated. Or just recent along with having to declare what's in the package and sign it and attach to the package!

I've just decided to cancel transaction and refund the buyer!

Hi

It has been the case for a while but think it's only being enforced recently. It's also the reason you have to declare what is on packages now as airlines scan these and will return them if there are restricted/prohibited items in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

Ask An Post about surface mail to UK or non-priority .

If the declaration mentioned above is the Customs Form CN22 , this is not necessary to use within EU member states .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can read more about it the CN22 here http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=75100282

I wonder what happens if there is no CN22, does it get sent. I used to send packets I would weigh myself and figure out the postage on my own.

• Advertisement

CN22 is for Customs ie any package leaving the EU. The other form Is for Aviation Security and is used for packets within EU. If you don't have either on packets it would be up to the airlines/customs whether they accept the items or not.
    Airlines scan bags before putting them on planes and if there is any item in the bag that they will not accept they return the whole bag to whichever mail operator it was sent through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Ask An Post about surface mail to UK or non-priority .

They don't do surface.

You would need to either send it via Northern Ireland or via a service like DPD / fastway - both about €10/parcel if you are sending decent volume.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

First of all, apologies for dragging up an old thread!

I'm in the same position as OP. I've just sold two items (body lotion and fragrance) on ebay to a buyer in the UK. From reading all the replies, it seems as though I've no alternative but to refund and apologise to my buyer :(

Of course, I didn't know when I put them up for sale that I wouldn't be able to send them anywhere other than within Ireland!

Having checked both An Post and Royal Mail (UK) websites, it seems that liquids are prohibited going from Ireland to UK, but not the other way round.

I only sell bits and bobs, but it's no wonder that Irish businesses find it difficult to maintain an online presence when An Post has such strict policies regarding the posting of liquids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

It's not An Post, it's the airlines. RM ship in by sea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭blahblah06

Just don't state it's perfume in the box?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

For security and legal reasons, the following items are prohibited from International Mail services:

F.A.C.T. of L.I.F.E.

F irearms & Replica Firearms (including toys)
    A erosols (of any kind including saline solution, cosmetics)
    C orrosive Substances (including acids and batteries)
    T oner & Ink Cartridges (separately packed or in printers)

of

L iquids (of any kind including water, alcohol, gels, creams, aftershaves and perfumes)
    I nfectious Substances (including medical samples, biological samples or serums)
    F lammable Substances ( including matches, lighters)
    E xplosive Substances (including fireworks, gas cylinders, ammunition or crackers)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, but I basically just had the same issues as other people on this thread. Took a break from selling stuff online about a year ago, prior to that I sent body lotions, shower gel etc to the UK with no issues. Why have they suddenly started enforcing this now when they didn't before?
    amtc wrote: »
    RM ship in by sea

An Post should do this too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭Duckee

I got stung by this, just this week. I'd decided to start selling some of my stuff for extra cash and had some perfumes/shower gels that I didn't really need.

Listed them on Ebay and was delighted when they all sold. Took my parcels to An Post only to be told I couldn't ship them. Had no option but to cancel all the transactions and refund everyones money. :-(

I'd never felt so 'trapped on an island' as I did when I was told I couldn't get stuff in and out of the country!!! it's crazy. I'm not even sure you could get a courier service to ship via NI as they don't seem to accept liquids either.

Now I'm unsure where would be a good place to sell these items within Ireland...Adverts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭MBSnr

Mollywolly wrote: »
    Having checked both An Post and Royal Mail (UK) websites, it seems that liquids are prohibited going from Ireland to UK, but not the other way round.

Seems some just post and others check. I got a package sent over from a UK supplier online. The supplier told me they could send the rechargeable battery but not the aerosol spray paint and that was with DPD....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Duckee wrote: »
    I got stung by this, just this week. I'd decided to start selling some of my stuff for extra cash and had some perfumes/shower gels that I didn't really need.

Listed them on Ebay and was delighted when they all sold. Took my parcels to An Post only to be told I couldn't ship them. Had no option but to cancel all the transactions and refund everyones money. :-(

I'd never felt so 'trapped on an island' as I did when I was told I couldn't get stuff in and out of the country!!! it's crazy. I'm not even sure you could get a courier service to ship via NI as they don't seem to accept liquids either.

Now I'm unsure where would be a good place to sell these items within Ireland...Adverts?

You have my sympathies. It's gut-wrenching to get to An Post and be told that you can't send your parcel - I know that feeling well :(

As for selling them on Adverts, it's worth a try. I have the ex-ebay stuff for sale on Adverts, but they've been there a while. I find that unless you're prepared to give it away, there's not a lot of interest.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,122 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I got stung by this as well. Boo-urns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

MOD: zombie thread, over 3 years old.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement