Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

My iphone 4 is getting really hot when using it and the battery is draining!help!

• 22-05-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭

charged the phone last nite fully and in 2 hours it was roasting and the battery went down to 20%.
    charged it again this morning and drained to around 20% again.
    It got so hot last nite i had to turn it off!
    Whats happening??!:eek: iv had it 17 months so i think guarantee is up

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Is it jail broken?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭fox007

elainee wrote: »
    charged the phone last nite fully and in 2 hours it was roasting and the battery went down to 20%.

Sounds like your battery is fecked try restoring it update to latest iOS if not jail broken!! and if the problem keeps up bring it to a authorized dealer to get it looked at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Did it get wet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

mad muffin wrote: »
    Is it jail broken?

There are number of other reasons which have a much higher probability of causing this issue than jailbreaking. Also someone smart enough to jailbreak and install hacked programs is probably smart enough to realise the jailbreak might have something to do with it and mention it.

Don't go around giving jailbreaks a bad name.

Much more likely scenarios...
    Water Damage
    Physical Damage
    Phone overheating in the past causing battery damage
    Battery dying due to physical problem.
    Circuit board problem (dry joint or short circuit)

elainee wrote: »

Apple have a good return policy, I'd get onto them if this is a reoccuring problem. Might be worth force restarting the phone by holding home and power keys until the phone powers off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

TBi wrote: »
    There are number of other reasons which have a much higher probability of causing this issue than jailbreaking. Also someone smart enough to jailbreak and install hacked programs is probably smart enough to realise the jailbreak might have something to do with it and mention it.

Don't go around giving jailbreaks a bad name.

Much more likely scenarios...
    Water Damage
    Physical Damage
    Phone overheating in the past causing battery damage
    Battery dying due to physical problem.
    Circuit board problem (dry joint or short circuit)

Apple have a good return policy, I'd get onto them if this is a reoccuring problem. Might be worth force restarting the phone by holding home and power keys until the phone powers off.

You would be surprised and you would be surprised, just saying ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

mad muffin wrote: »
    You would be surprised and you would be surprised, just saying ;)

I would say I am an export at jailbreaking and all the hack for the iPhone. I think you're both right. Jailbreaking by itself does not cause battery drain, but there are some programs that are properly written and actually may cause battery drain. However, if you do not open those programs after a hard reboot it will not cause drain. An example of this I find is mewseek.

Anyway, the iPhone 4s running on 5.0 or 5.0.1 has bad batter usage anyway and in the next few days the ios 5.1.1 jailbreak will be released. 5.1.1 has signification better battery management.

If the OP is not jailbroken, I would advice him to update now.

If there's a heat issue combined with battery drain, could it be that an app is hogging the CPU constantly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

TBi wrote: »
    I disagree. Lots of people get their phones jailbroken for them because they want to use them on another network. There are regularly threads/posts in here from jailbroken users who have accidentally updated and lost their unlock or have some other jailbreak related issue. So asking someone if they are jailbroken is a pretty important first step in narrowing down their problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Are you using any apps that use GPS all the time? You can check by just looking at the top right corner and seeing if the GPS arrow is visible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭TBi

I disagree. Lots of people get their phones jailbroken for them because they want to use them on another network. There are regularly threads/posts in here from jailbroken users who have accidentally updated and lost their unlock or have some other jailbreak related issue. So asking someone if they are jailbroken is a pretty important first step in narrowing down their problem.

But those people won't be smart enough to install a damaging program. The programs available in a default jailbreak cydia would be benign, you'd have to add more repo's to get the 'bad' ones. A jailbreak by itself wouldn't cause this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 286 ✭✭elainee

Thanks for all the replies.
    its not jail broken..no apps are on..but i did update it last night and so far so good its holding its charge and is not hot anymore.
    Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

I had a similar scanerio after the last update 5.1.1 over the air.
    My phone was draining at 10% an hour when left on my desk doing nothing.
    I had to do a reset from setting/general/reset all settings.

I then had to drain the battery until it powers off.
    Then charge it to 100% but when its hits 100 leave it on for another couple of hours.
    I had to this this 3 or 4 times before it came back to normal.
    Its some battery cycle thingy.

Glad you seem to have got it sorted.
    I just posted my issue in case anyone is having the same issue.
    My phone was fine before the 5.1.1 OTA update.

Advertisement