Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sixth year pranks

• 22-05-2012 6:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭

have the pranks gone too far in some schools?
    There was an article in the Irish Times today and the writer implied the High School in Dublin was draconian in its expulsion of three students. Apparently it was a little more than throwing a few eggs.

I am glad to see that some action was taken on the facebook issue. It gives the impression teachers have civil rights.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Fuinseog wrote: »
    There was an article in the Irish Times today and the writer implied the High School in Dublin was draconian in its expulsion of three students. Apparently it was a little more than throwing a few eggs.

I am glad to see that some action was taken on the facebook issue. It gives the impression teachers have civil rights.

Didn't read article however those two schools have gone up so much in my estimation with the way they have tackled things. I know in my own school we had a similar facebook situation but nothing was done about it. It was so terrible for the teachers involved. The only question is will the expulsions stick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Millem wrote: »
    Didn't read article however those two schools have gone up so much in my estimation with the way they have tackled things. I know in my own school we had a similar facebook situation but nothing was done about it. It was so terrible for the teachers involved. The only question is will the expulsions stick?

a lot of schools are watching to see what happens. if the principal sticks to his guns, which in light of what happened to one of the teachers he has to, it will set the tone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Agree here, they should stick to their guns, but... I have a funny feeling that when things die down or if an appeal is lodged then the students will be back sitting in front of their exam papers in a couple of weeks... Forgiveness being a core part of the Ethos etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

Sean Flynn writing ****e as usual.

You'd nearly think it was one of his kids or a kid he knows who was expelled the way he's going on.

Kids need to behave.

Full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 616 ✭✭✭linguist

Unbelievable how many adults' reaction to matters of discipline in schools seems to bring out their inner seventeen-year-old as opposed to the responsible people they are supposed to be.

Doubtless Sean Flynn will say it's all the fault of the unions which seems to be his stock answer!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

linguist wrote: »
    Unbelievable how many adults' reaction to matters of discipline in schools seems to bring out their inner seventeen-year-old as opposed to the responsible people they are supposed to be.

Doubtless Sean Flynn will say it's all the fault of the unions which seems to be his stock answer!

A letter to the editor claims that teachers would be against having cameras in class as the principal could see what the teachers are up to which kind of implies that teachers are up to no good themselves. As a teacher I would have no problems with a camera in the class, although there would still be parents who deny their child is messing even when confronted with the evidence.

here is the letter

Sir, – In his “Were school expulsions an over-reaction or a timely line in the sand” article (Home News, May 22nd) Seán Flynn quotes a teacher as saying: “[We’ve] had more than enough of bad behaviour and insubordination. It’s about time we had some decisive action”. I agree.

I suggest that that “decisive action” take the form of what was suggested in your columns in the past, that is, CCTV cameras in school classrooms as they are in school corridors. They would provide incontrovertible evidence of “bad behaviour and insubordination” and deter same to let teachers teach and students learn.

I’m told that this solution has been ruled out because teachers don’t want a situation where the headmaster could also see what they are or were doing. – Yours, etc,

WILLIAM M DOYLE,
    Kilquade,
    Co Wicklow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

I’m told that this solution has been ruled out because teachers don’t want a situation where the headmaster could also see what they are or were doing. – Yours, etc,

WILLIAM M DOYLE,
    Kilquade,
    Co Wicklow.

I'm told hearsay doesn't count for twopence. God almighty could they just please stop the teacher bashing it's sooo 'easter mid term break'. The teaching 'profession' as a career choice is going has gone to pot and yet the lazy media journalistic frenzy with the tired old arguments which no longer apply to the majority of teachers still goes on. If you don;t want your son/daughter to abide by the rules like the majority of other students then find another school. What's the odds that these student will be back in school for the Leaving Cert in 3 weeks with a big grin on their faces.

I'm just waiting for the teaching council to use the powers we entrusted them with
    ...and row in behind the teachers and schools
    ...any second now..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

A letter to the editor claims that teachers would be against having cameras in class as the principal could see what the teachers are up to which kind of implies that teachers are up to no good themselves. As a teacher I would have no problems with a camera in the class, although there would still be parents who deny their child is messing even when confronted with the evidence.

Time was when I'd have jumped at the chance to have cameras in the classroom but on reflection now I think they'd make little difference. Whenever I report poor behaviour or an 'incident' it is always accepted as having happened. Proof has never been an issue really, and to my mind proof is all a camera would provide.

The problem I would have is that most of the time nothing significant ever happened as a result of these reports and the person was back in the class in no time with no change in behaviour. Not sure what difference a camera would make in that context. Arguably a camera in the room could lead to more provocation of teachers and low-level little-johnny-just-having-a-laugh disruption to get a rise out of a teacher knowing that even letting a shout could be construed as traumatic for the student and his trauma could be relived on camera. It could actually backfire by leaving unruly students even more untouchable. Parents who are in denial/cannot recognise the corrosive nature of bad classroom behaviour would continue to do so anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

May I just say as of today the pranks have gone out of control if what the papers are saying is true. I was so impressed with
    Our 6th years today, they had a great last day with no pranks! (thank god!)

Advertisement