Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should RTÉ reporters be required to speak English properly?

• 22-05-2012 6:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what "economic growte" is? :confused:

If you work on the national station surely they should know how to pronounce a word that contains a th.

The main culprits being Ciaran Gilhooley, Pascal Sheehy, Joe O'Brien (sounds like he's reading the news to five year old kids) , Vincent O'Brien among others.

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 363 ✭✭FishBowel

Hey Pascal say 'Tirty tree and a turd'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Whats worse is the articles on their website. I honestly think there is a warehouse full of monkeys somewhere in Ireland who set up and run RTE News Now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Yes, but define "properly".

XKqC5.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Hiberno - English would prob be more appropriate for the national broadcaster!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,489 ✭✭✭jmcc

They could ban that Dortspeak pseudo-accent. People then wouldn't have to have to resort to teletext subtitles to understand what the hell these people are saying.

Regards...jmcc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,760 ✭✭✭el diablo

jmcc wrote: »
    They could ban that Dortspeak pseudo-accent. People then wouldn't have to have to resort to teletext subtitles to understand what the hell these people are saying.

Regards...jmcc

I've no idea what this is supposed to mean.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

About tirty tree and a turd of all media personnel in dis country tink dat dare qualified to speak on air while sounding like dat, of dohs 15% can't even say tanks. Someone needs to tell dem to listen to a recording sometime, day are cringeworthy and should be hanging out by deh Spar shop.

I will never understand how the likes of Ciaran Gilhooley got a job as a reporter with the national broadcaster.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 265 ✭✭unclejunior

A young lady from the Nuacht got promoted to the English speaking department. Her English is just as bad as her Irish, sounds like a cat being strangled. I think her name is Aisling Ni Choisdealbha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ciaran Mullooly is my favourite, its a whole other place.

• Advertisement

"Ciaran Mullooly RTE News, Mullingaaaaaarrrrrr".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Philip Bromwell is my favourite. He starts ever news report with a shockingly bad pun. Every single one of them without fail. If they were good I wouldn't mind but they're not. They are beyond brutal. Philip if you're reading this please stop.

I suppose at least he doesn't pronounce most of his words incorrectly. Sharon's butchering of "issue" last night was hard on the ears.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

th's seem to pose a problem for a lot of media people. Theres a guy on Newstalk most mornign talking about financial doings, Ian Guider I think his name is. It's really annoying listening to him say tree for three etc. There used to be a guy, cant remember if it was 2fm or Newstalk that said everythign that had a th with just a t and vice versa

Matt Cooper on Today FM pronounces "theatre" as "tee-ayter" but uses "th" when saying "taoiseach" or "tánaiste". :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I've noticed across all of TV3's "News" coverage that the news readers regularly leave out "a" "an" "the" when reading the news, not tied to one person so obviously who ever writes the auto Q .... bloody annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

People on television have accents too shocker!

Maybe you'd prefer we go back to the times when everyone on RTE spoke like they were auditioning for the BBC? What ho! Jolly good!

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    People on television have accents too shocker!

Maybe you'd prefer we go back to the times when everyone on RTE spoke like they were auditioning for the BBC? What ho! Jolly good!

Read the thread. We're not talking about accents here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Clare McNamara from RTE Sport cannot say his but instead says he's. It bugs me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I think it is John Finnerty that says Gordee instead of Gardai. And there is a girl on Nuacht that honestly sounds like the tongue twister twins from bosco:D

(sorry if you're reading)

And let's not forget Eamon Horan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I've noticed a lot of female sports readers cant pronounce some of the longer names. Do they not have a read through these things beforehand?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I've noticed a lot of female sports readers cant pronounce some of the longer names. Do they not have a read through these things beforehand?

They should take lessons from George Hamilton. There is no name that he cannot pronounce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Hogzy wrote: »
    Whats worse is the articles on their website. I honestly think there is a warehouse full of monkeys somewhere in Ireland who set up and run RTE News Now.

The scrolling news at the bottom of the screen can be priceless at times.

There's been countless ones over recent months that don't make sense. The latest was one last week about the Heineken Cup Final. It read:

Brad Thorn could create rugby history in Saturday's Heineken Cup final between Leinster and Ulster at Twickenham ....

....... and that was it. Didn't tell us how he could create it. How idiotic.

I ended up searching the net and found this:
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rugbyunion/club/9274332/Leinster-v-Ulster-Brad-Thorn-targets-record-haul-with-victory-in-Heineken-Cup-final.html

If you look at the sub headline, it is worded exactly the same as it was on their website. Are those who work at RTE News Now just trawling through the net and cutting and pasting headlines?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You pay peanuts and you get monkeys, no wait they are getting paid well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

th's seem to pose a problem for a lot of media people. Theres a guy on Newstalk most mornign talking about financial doings, Ian Guider I think his name is. It's really annoying listening to him say tree for three etc. There used to be a guy, cant remember if it was 2fm or Newstalk that said everythign that had a th with just a t and vice versa

Ian Guider regularly sends Coilltes stock skyward - talking about an estimated tree percent groat next year.

- Newstalk found him asleep on a bus somewhere and never interviewed obviously.

Kathryn Thomas can't say her own surname properly :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Coughlan77

Aisling Ni Choisdealbha is a reporter for TV3 not for the Nuacht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭tvnutz

Sure they pronounce the name of their channel as ARE-T-E, obviously not knowing what an R sounds like.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

el diablo wrote: »
    Anyone know what "economic growte" is? :confused:

If you work on the national station surely they should know how to pronounce a word that contains a th.

The main culprits being Ciaran Gilhooley, Pascal Sheehy, Joe O'Brien (sounds like he's reading the news to five year old kids) , Vincent O'Brien among others.

I agree with this in general. Ian Guider on Newstalk is one of the worst, I have to turn it over when he comes on, his pronunciation is so laughable.

De problem is, doh, dat de majority of the Irish population has a problem with th's and simply can't physically pronounce them. And what's more, dey don't even realize dat dere's a necessity to do so. Most people don't even notice when RTE reporters say "tink" and "turty" and "dey".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Borderfox wrote: »
    You pay peanuts and you get monkeys, no wait they are getting paid well.
    They currently have a competition under their entertainment section to win passes to 'Forbidden Fruit', the email address you enter at is supposedly tencompetions@rte.ie not tencompetitions!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

Raiser wrote: »
    Ian Guider regularly sends Coilltes stock skyward - talking about an estimated tree percent groat next year.

- Newstalk found him asleep on a bus somewhere and never interviewed obviously.

Kathryn Thomas can't say her own surname properly :eek:

I've been told that when saying the surname Thomas, you don't pronounce the Th. It's an English thing seemingly, "like Thames" the woman told me. :rolleyes:

DubTony wrote: »
    I've been told that when saying the surname Thomas, you don't pronounce the Th. It's an English thing seemingly, "like Thames" the woman told me. :rolleyes:

Thailand too. :)

Advertisement