Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Karsten Cheekpiece Opinions

Options
  • 22-05-2012 6:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Lads i have a tikka T3 in .243 and an S&B 3-12x50 and i find myself reaching my head up to look through the scope properly so i have been looking into ways to change this.

The scope is sitting a bit high off the barrel but replacing my already expensive mount setup with another expensive mount setup to drop 5mm or so doesn't really appeal to me.

I know you get saddlebags and different cheek-risers with ammo pouches and that but i seen these karsten ones and like the idea of a solid permanent solution so i wondering does anyone on here have any experience of them and what your opinion on them.

Can get the karsten cheek rest delivered for $74 or about €58

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

pat sludds in wexford can do an adjustable comb for slightly more than the karsten thing you are talking about.

http://www.gunstocks.ie/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭declan1980

hunter91 wrote: »
    Lads i have a tikka T3 in .243 and an S&B 3-12x50 and i find myself reaching my head up to look through the scope properly so i have been looking into ways to change this.

The scope is sitting a bit high off the barrel but replacing my already expensive mount setup with another expensive mount setup to drop 5mm or so doesn't really appeal to me.

I know you get saddlebags and different cheek-risers with ammo pouches and that but i seen these karsten ones and like the idea of a solid permanent solution so i wondering does anyone on here have any experience of them and what your opinion on them.

Can get the karsten cheek rest delivered for $74 or about €58

I have one on my .243, and I think it's an excellent piece of kit. It really makes my hold on the rifle a lot more solid, because the cheek weld is more like a shotgun than a rifle. The only disadvantage is I have to take it off to clean the rifle, but that's only a minor detail.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

rowa wrote: »
    pat sludds in wexford can do an adjustable comb for slightly more than the karsten thing you are talking about.

http://www.gunstocks.ie/

Pat Sludds work on a stock.

206038.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hunter91

Sorry forgot to mention its a tikka t3 lite so hollow synthetic stock and not really possible to put an adjustable comb into it
    I have one on my .243, and I think it's an excellent piece of kit. It really makes my hold on the rifle a lot more solid, because the cheek weld is more like a shotgun than a rifle. The only disadvantage is I have to take it off to clean the rifle, but that's only a minor detail.

What rifle do you have it on Declan? just wondering because in the pictures it looks a bit big, probably to make sure it will fit on any stock, and the t3 has a fairly slender stock so wondering would it fit well.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

They are relatively cheap enough, good quality, functional, easy to fit, and work on any stock.

They are designed to fit any stock, but with the tightening screws will "clamp" into a thinner stock.

I've bought two so far, and if i found myself needing a cheek riser it would be the first to mind.

Also on a side note, while not disagreeing with declan as rifles differ, i usually just loosened mine, pushed it down onto the stock for cleaning then put it back up to it's height when finished. However if you have to remove it takes about 30 seconds.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭steyrman2

hi i fitted one on my .204 one of the best things i ever done the best thing if you have to rifles with low stocks buy i kit and drill the holes and just remove and put on the other rifle well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 hunter91

Cheers lads, i'm thinking i'll probably go ahead and order one.

Which model do ye have or would yas suggest? Model A seems to be the most common (straight slots and big hand tightening adjusting nuts). Probably the handiest one especially if it has to be loosened often to clean, etc.

Advertisement