Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applied maths 1999 Q2

• 22-05-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭

a) An aeroplane has a speed of 160m/s in still air. When the wind blows from the east, the velocity of the aeroplane as observed from the ground is 120m/s towards the north-east. Find the speed of the wind correct to two decimal places.

b) Two ships A and B move with constant speeds 48km/h and 60km/h respectively. At a certain instant ship B is 30km west of A and travelling due south. Find
    i) the direction ship A should steer in order to get as close as possible to ship B
    ii) the shortest distance between the ships.

Help? I can't do either part, I'm so horribly bad at relative motion. :L

The answers are
    a) 50.8 m/s
    b)i) 53.13° S of W
    ii) 18km

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

You gotta draw out your triangle for starters that's prob the hardest bit I guess.
    I don't know how to actually show you the drawing so I'll do my best

You should get an Alpha of 135 degrees then use the cosine rule where

(160) squared = (120) ²+ velocity wind ² - 2(120)(velocity wind)cos135

Should get a v of 50.79 correct to 2 decimal places.

Part 2

Closest approach question hasn't come up since that year but it's kinda hard.

What you gotta do is draw out a diagream. The closest it will get is when the angle is at a max to the actual required angle. Sorry it's kinda hard to explain when there's no diagram. What you wanna do is say

SinA/60 = SinB/48

Max B will occur for max A. max angle sin can be is 90 = 1

So you get 1/60 * 48 = Sin B

B = 53.13

Second part is a standard question.

Cheers brah!

Advertisement