Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Im sick of ucd

Options
  • 22-05-2012 7:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

Sick of college aftrer the year. Should I transfer or is it worth staying ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Sl!mCharles

I much preferred second year personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tipptop1

Really ? I'm not very happy with it overall, half the students seem far more interested in getting drunk and getting the "shift". Its really not what I expected from the whole college experience. I want to learn how to become the best person possible, not how to down a drink the fastest.

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭beardedmaster

tipptop1 wrote: »
    Really ? I'm not very happy with it overall, half the students seem far more interested in getting drunk and getting the "shift". Its really not what I expected from the whole college experience. I want to learn how to become the best person possible, not how to down a drink the fastest.

Then mix with the other half :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 405 ✭✭Econoline Van

There's always people who are there to study. Find them. Otherwise, just go to your lectures/tutorials and finish it out. That's what I did, as a mature student. Each semester is 12 weeks or whatever. It's really nothing. Stick it out, it's better than the hassle of transferring or dropping out.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Topper7

As said above, 2nd yr was better. Got to know people better & subjects became more interesting. But if you fel your course really isnt for you then no point in wasting your time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

I got sick of the place in my last year. TBH it was the thing that got me to put the head down as I didnt want to waste another semester there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

What did you expect from college? I don't mean this in a bad way but a lot of film's, books etc. make out college to be this place full of really charming, witty and intelligent students discussing politics, philosophy and the other trendy issues of the day while strolling in the quadrangle or dawdling over wine while watching people punting on the river or popping in for an intellectually stimulating chat with your professor in his halls. Basically a sort of fictional Harvard/Oxford hybrid that doesn't exist in real life but a lot of starry eyed undergraduates seem to fall for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

What course are you doing? Many courses factor results from 2nd year exams into the degree result. If your in a course where this is the case many people will become more serious about their studies.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,173 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

What did you expect from college? I don't mean this in a bad way but a lot of film's, books etc. make out college to be this place full of really charming, witty and intelligent students discussing politics, philosophy and the other trendy issues of the day while strolling in the quadrangle or dawdling over wine while watching people punting on the river or popping in for an intellectually stimulating chat with your professor in his halls. Basically a sort of fictional Harvard/Oxford hybrid that doesn't exist in real life but a lot of starry eyed undergraduates seem to fall for it.
    I have it on good authority that this is exactly what things are like at Trinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭smunchkins

Ok, you're attending the college with the most amount of societies and clubs in the country (sfaik); with a huge student centre with even more facilities opening and you don't like it?

In fairness, if you can't "learn how to become the best person possible" with this variety of opportunities then I'm not sure where you should go to look for them.

First year does suck to be honest. Obviously you're finding your feet, and no one really knows that many other people so you end up all trying to be terribly sociable in order to find some friends.
    So I think you have to decide, is it the people you don't like, or the course?

If its the people, well that's easily rectified, as UCD is a big place, and you're perhaps just ending up in the wrong parts of if at the wrong time for you.
    If its the course, then yes, have a look round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

I'm sorry buy are you serious? I can't stop laughing. What did you expect from college? Have you never seen an American movie?

And if it's that you want to get away from I'm afraid it's the same in every other college....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

I'm sorry buy are you serious? I can't stop laughing. What did you expect from college? Have you never seen an American movie?

And if it's that you want to get away from I'm afraid it's the same in every other college....

I think this thread smells like a troll to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Sick of college aftrer the year. Should I transfer or is it worth staying ???

In all seriousness OP you'd have to say whether you're living on campus (Belgrove?), what course you're doing, etc for anybody to give a sensible answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 934 ✭✭✭OneOfThem Stumbled

Personally I found it a bit the opposite way around. Expected 80% American Pie 20% mad Hegel/Proust/Plato/ philosophising fueled by too much weed ffs; not weekly assignments, posters that can't mention alcohol, residences that lock up after 10pm (well.. like the rest of the campus), official college events that finds a wine reception to be 'daring', a policy which prohits poker...

Although, according to the Indo it's a sex mad spot loike !1!11!!!!! :eek:

Advertisement