Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need to get back to work

Options
  • 22-05-2012 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

Can anyone help me, I hate being idle but not much work out there was thinking of setting up a window cleaning business, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 JohnByrneJB

What information do you need, I have a window cleaning company for 8 years.??

John

• Registered Users Posts: 31 peatsee

thanks john, do you use traditional tools or water fed pole system, where to get equipment, etiquete for going into an area where other cleaners are(they won't have all the houses in that area), is there enough profit to make a good living in the winter and any other info you might think i need. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

peatsee wrote: »
    Can anyone help me, I hate being idle but not much work out there was thinking of setting up a window cleaning business, any help or suggestions would be much appreciated

Where are you based?
    I may have something for you if you message me your email address.

based in dublin, I'm new to this not sure how to message

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Maybe if you can email me to: ian@worldcupofgolf.com I might have something of interest for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭billybunty

Maybe if you can email me to: ian@worldcupofgolf.com I might have something of interest for you.
    Fair play

Peatsee,

Easy to set up the business, easy to get the equipment, either waterfed or traditional. It will be hard work at the start so If your willing to put in the legwork at the start to build the business and decide on where you want to be with the business in 6 months then you will be on your way.

Im more then happy to let you know where to go for equipment, advice on etiquette locally and a good starting point for you.

You first need to decide what you want and be willing to put in the hrs to get the return.

I will post more info later when I have time.

John

Cheers John,
    I've had my own business before so I do know the effort required at the start and I want to develope this as a long term business so any help you can give me will be greatfully recieved. Thanks again for your time and interest

Simple then Peatsee,

go buy a bucket, Squeegie and a Ladder. Watch a few videos on youtube on how to clean windows and off you go. Start Knocking on Doors. thats it. Simple.............

Now my advice, If your serious about this........you need to look as if your serious so do the following

Get yourself a uniform, Polo top with your company name on it or just your name on it Peatsee window cleaning.
    Get yourself some business cards.
    Get yourself a van (Not a car with a ladder strapped to the roof)
    Get your logo or name on the Van "Peatsee Window Cleaning",
    Get yourself insurance

My advice on door knocking for work.

Knock on the door, ring bell etc etc.
    STAND BACK FROM THE DOOR, About 3 Steps
    Allow owner to answer the door.
    When door is opened, approach door with card held out in front of you.

The 3 steps, allow the owner of the house to see your logo on your top, see your are holding a business card and are most likley not a threat to them.

What do you say "Hi Im from Peatsee window cleaning, we are in the area cleaning windows and was wondering if your would like yours done today".

Thats Basically, how to start a domestic window cleaning business. Any questions respond to this and I will post more, and there is more. If you have a bit of personality and can get on with people easily and make them feel comfortable with you and the service you can offer them, then dont go buying a franchise or anything like that, just do it yourself and build a business.

John

Hi John, thanks again for your time. Some good common sense advice and I really like the idea of the uniform. I have the basic equipment and the van, getting quotes for the insurance (any recomendations?). What are your thoughts on the pure water fed pole system.

rgds Peatsee

• Advertisement

Hi Peatsee,

Insurance - Call Gerry Doodey in Dolmen Insurances in Artane,01 8672121 and Tell him that John from Pristine Cleaning told you to call him.

Water Fed Pole System. Call Arthur in Sure Clean Systems http://www.surecleansystems.com/. They can supply you with a good waterfed pole system at a good price, bit of a journey, but worth it.

One thing I didnt say about getting work,

please dont go out doing window cleaning on domestic or commercial jobs for nothing, it just brings the pricing down for everyone, there are plenty of guys out there with a ladders on the top of their cars charging nothing for window cleaning, while there are people like us, getting vans, insurance, uniforms, tax, diesel etc etc trying to feed our kids, DO NOT COMPETE with these guys. If you get a customer saying they have a guy that does their 3 bed semi for next to nothing , say thank you and good bye, these guys are also drawing the dole and not insured. Leave them a card and they will call you in the future when they are let down by these people in the future.

Where in Dublin are you based, if your any good, I might be able to sub out some work to you.

John

Hi John,
    I'm actually 5 mins from artane so I'll call into gerry on monday I also e-mailed sure clean waiting for a reply. On the subject of prices how do I decide what is a fair price. I agree with you about the spongers. I want this to susutain me in the long term so I don't want to be too cheap but I also don't want to price myself out of the market. Is a special offer introductory price a good or a bad idea

Thanks again for all your advice its very helpful

Peatsee,

Introductory prices are difficult and set a price for the customer.

For example, If you give an introductory price of €10 for a job that you would usually charge €20, the customer will expect you to do it for €10 the next time, they will have forgotten about an introductory price and its always difficult to present a higher price the next time you do it.

Fair prices come down to every individual business, take all of your costs for running your business for the month and divide it by apporx 20 (working days). Thats how much you need to earn every day to run your business.

Decide how much you want to earn every month and work to that figure.

John

Hi John,
    you've given me plenty of advice to get started with, I'll let you know how I get on
    thanks again
    peatsee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

From a customer point of view I'd prefer to pay a proper price and have the job done at proper intervals.

One guy told me I needed the windows cleaned weekly and was charging €15 to do so. (full retail frontal, 10ft high, approx 30ft long.) didn't use him, cos firstly it did not need a weekly clean and secondly a decent clean would take and hour.

The guy I use does it first week of every month, inside and outside and charge €40 - takes about hour to do it, but its done brilliantly. He also does the job in another premises I have which is about 25 miles away and charges €20 a month - takes 30-40min.

IF for some reason they need to be cleaned inbetween, he'll drop by and do what's necessary and does not charge (some kids threw some plants at the window once cos they were kicked out - we gave him a call and he dropped by at some stage after we were closed and gave it a clean).

My guess is this guy is choosy about his clients, but does a great job and is willing to spread himself around quite a wide area (south dublin to north Kildare). As above, he has decent van, decent materials and the girls love him!

Advertisement