Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trashiness and Gaming

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

krudler wrote: »
    I thought Naughty Dog made a very positive step forward with Uncharted 3, not only is the villain female, she's middle aged. Not some big titted caricature who swans around in skin tight tops, but an actual woman, who looks like a real person would. More realistic female characters and less cliche video game chicks please.

Seems they've matured since Rings of Power!

(Ever so slightly NSFW)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

I honestly can't think of a game that suffers from having a female character with a revealing top or relationships between characters being too risque. If there's a game you don't like because of the over sexualization (which I can't think of) then don't play it. If it bothers you that someone may like something you don't, then you've got more problems that not liking the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

TheGunns wrote: »
    I honestly can't think of a game that suffers from having a female character with a revealing top or relationships between characters being too risque. If there's a game you don't like because of the over sexualization (which I can't think of) then don't play it. If it bothers you that someone may like something you don't, then you've got more problems that not liking the game.
    I'm pretty sure "FEATURING THE OVER SEXUALISATION OF FEMALE CHARACTERS" isn't something that's on the back of the box so most people who encounter it aren't exactly going to not buy the game or stop buying it when they're in the middle of playing it.

Also, to refute that last point of yours, anyone who actually enjoys said over-sexualisation or similar trashy **** which adds nothing to the game is the one with the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

hell of an argument from someone who'll happily pay to watch the transformers movies gizmo..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

hell of an argument from someone who'll happily pay to watch the transformers movies gizmo..
    Watched doesn't imply enjoyed. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

There's room for trashiness and tongue in cheek exploitation. However why can't we enjoy both thrashy games and games that deal with more mature themes? People hear are complaining about the lack of the later, they aren't saying they can't enjoy thrashy games, there's just too much of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

gizmo wrote: »
    Watched doesn't imply enjoyed. :)

Giant robots beat the shit out of each other for an hour and a half, what's not to enjoy?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

God of War? Bayonetta? Street Fighter IV? Batman: Arkham City? Persona 4? Tomb Raider? Yakuza? No More Heroes? The covers of various Rockstar Games tend to over-emphasise the busty female presence too. And then all those games that decide to market themselves like that, no matter how irrelevant it is to the game in question (Ghost Recon?). Not that I think these are bad games - some are actually amongst my favourites. Still wouldn't mind if they chilled the **** out with some of the over-sexualisation though. The argument is questioning the need for this sort of nonsense in games that are otherwise extremely accomplished and enjoyable. I struggle to think of many comparably great films that are so ludicrously 'manish'. A few anime films, sure, and Crank was pretty ****ing ludicrous (that was sort of the point, and even the second film pushed that to embarrassing, cringey extremes). But it's surely not a criticism I could level at many great films. Transformers certainly doesn't count, since its a piece of ****. Of course there's that rule questioning 'how many films feature two women discussing something that isn't a man?', but that's a different argument.

So yeah, perhaps its just worth ignoring sex outright. Although I couldn't disagree more that animation or video games are unable to explore more 'mature' or emotionally complex topics, but that's just me and several million others.

As for free speech? Had a bit of it last night. Really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭TheGunns

God of War? Bayonetta? Street Fighter IV? Batman: Arkham City? Persona 4? Tomb Raider? Yakuza? No More Heroes? The covers of various Rockstar Games tend to over-emphasise the busty female presence too. And then all those games that decide to market themselves like that, no matter how irrelevant it is to the game in question (Ghost Recon?). Not that I think these are bad games - some are actually amongst my favourites. Still wouldn't mind if they chilled the **** out with some of the over-sexualisation though. The argument is questioning the need for this sort of nonsense in games that are otherwise extremely accomplished and enjoyable. I struggle to think of many comparably great films that are so ludicrously 'manish'. A few anime films, sure, and Crank was pretty ****ing ludicrous (that was sort of the point, and even the second film pushed that to embarrassing, cringey extremes). But it's surely not a criticism I could level at many great films. Transformers certainly doesn't count, since its a piece of ****. Of course there's that rule questioning 'how many films feature two women discussing something that isn't a man?', but that's a different argument.

So yeah, perhaps its just worth ignoring sex outright. Although I couldn't disagree more that animation or video games are unable to explore more 'mature' or emotionally complex topics, but that's just me and several million others.

As for free speech? Had a bit of it last night. Really enjoyed it.

think I may have slightly misunderstood as I thought it was just outright complaint of sexualization which I think is actually a feature of society these days. People enjoy it though so it's not going to go away.

Now that video games could deal with more mature themes and do that maturally I think is a good idea. But these games would more than likely be difficult to make and would not make as much cash as immature games will.

games these days are being targeted younger as they are much more likely to buy rubbish games frequestly than older gamers who will research a purchase first. The target market is also much bigger in the younger age group and will continue to grow along with the world's population.

The industry has little to no reason to make a game which deals with mature themes as they will almost certainly be 18+. Parents who would normally buy a violent 18 game will much more likely not to buy one with mature themes as that kind of game would make the news and the awareness of the 'harmful' aspect of the game would be greatly highlighted.

Mature themed games are going to be scrutinised much more by PEGI and other ratings agencies I think as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Giant robots beat the shit out of each other for an hour and a half, what's not to enjoy?

every scene between the ones of giant robots beating the sh1t out of each other :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

krudler wrote: »
    every scene between the ones of giant robots beating the sh1t out of each other :pac:

but there's people there that can be related to so it's all good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

but there's people there that can be related to so it's all good

Don't you ever call Shia labeouf people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,446 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The industry has little to no reason to make a game which deals with mature themes as they will almost certainly be 18+. Parents who would normally buy a violent 18 game will much more likely not to buy one with mature themes as that kind of game would make the news and the awareness of the 'harmful' aspect of the game would be greatly highlighted.

Mature themed games are going to be scrutinised much more by PEGI and other ratings agencies I think as well.

Most 18+ PEGI rated games are in fact utterly childish. I've seen more maturity in games like Chibi Robo. Blood gore and sex doesn't equal maturity, but the industry revels in it.

I think PEGI already does a great job of scrutinising games for content. Blame the parents that buy little johnny games that are in no way suitable for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Japanese games traditionally take their thematic (and moral?) cues from anime/manga where "ecchi" style characters and scenarios are commonplace.

The Western developers too are only taking their influences from TV/Cinema, albeit the less sophisticated side (although we could get into a art imitating life debate on that one).

Personally I think the "problem", if it is one, is that games don't really handle narrative content all that well unless it's built into the interaction. To create a deep and complex narrative that would be required to explore the subject matter of sexuality is (currently) beyond (mainstream) gaming.

Also the core audience (which is the same as that of action films, modern teen-slasher movies, fratboy comedies etc.) know what they like and like what they know and buxom ladies with 'tude is what they get and they lap it up.

penev10 wrote: »
    Also the core audience (which is the same as that of action films, modern teen-slasher movies, fratboy comedies etc.) know what they like and like what they know and buxom ladies with 'tude is what they get and they lap it up.

Got to agree. It's what the market wants unfortunately and with budgets so high developers and publishers have to capture as much of that audience as possible with some TnA.

Advertisement