Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Do you enjoy your job/degree/profession?

• 22-05-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Does anyone out there get enjoyment or fulfillment from their chosen job, college degree or profession? Or are all lines of work soul destroying means of earning a wage?

Myself, I'm nearing my final year in college and currently half way through a 6 month internship, the result of which leaves me with no idea as to whether this is the avenue I want to go and kick off my career in.

You hear the rich and succesfull people, who truely excel in their respective fields, saying you gotta find something you love, but is that all pie in the sky talk?

Well AH? Hit me with yer insightful advice :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Yes. Thanks for asking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

No its boring.

I wish I was a lighthouse keeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

My boss is a lazy ****e who no one gets on with - I am self employed.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,725 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

Sky King wrote: »
    No its boring.

You wouldn't mind working nights?

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Loved my job but was made redundant before my time was over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I want a well paid job where attendance is optional. Is that a thing?

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    You wouldn't mind working nights?

Duh! Day shift Lighthouse Keeper of course!

Cushy number!

phasers wrote: »

TD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

yeah, it's called being on the dole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

It's what I get out of bed for in the morning :)

because I can't do it lying down

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

I'm awesome at my job and I love it, its just a shame we're not paid for the hard work we put in. I'm a preschool teacher btw. No long holidays, crap wages, lots of children.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

yeah, it's called being on the dole
    No it isn't. The dole isn't well paid, it isn't a job, and the ony thing you have to attend is signing on and that is not optional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I don't really enjoy my job, but I don't hate it either.
    The main thing is, I love the people I work with, and I get paid enough to have a very enjoyable lifestyle out of work!
    I'd rather that than love my job but not be happy outside of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭brandon_flowers

Yes primarily because I work for an oil and gas company who never give a s**** about salaries. Ask and thou shall receive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Yep I love it. I kinda fell into it after losing what I thought was my dream job but I would never go back to it now. I can't really see what I loved about it. Now I'm working in social care with vulnerable people, really helping people get out of dangerous situations and start over, its a great feeling to come out of work and know you made a difference. It also means no matter how crap my own life seems to be going a day in the office and I realise just how blessed I am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

You poor naive student.

Work isn't there to be enjoyed or feel satisfied, it's all about the money.

• In general, yes. I was just thinking about this today.

I'm an EFL teacher and during my afternoon class, I thought, "wow, I'm actually getting paid for this?" I had a lovely class with bright and interesting students. They were really keen on the activity I'd prepared and the time just flew by. I often feel lucky to have this job. I can wear more or less what I like, I often finish early (2pm) or start late, I can decide what I want to teach, it can be very rewarding and generally interesting. There are loads of positives.

That said, it annoys me when people who don't do this job go on about how easy it is. It's not easy. You're never really off work, you always have prep or marking, you can have really unpleasant or difficult students, you can't hide behind a desk if you're feeling sad/sick/down, you have loads of unpaid working time (training, meetings, prep), you don't get paid for bank holidays or when the school closes at Christmas/Easter, you don't get paid when you're sick or at the doctor or on holiday. There are basically no benefits at all (pension, maternity leave...) The pay isn't that good and doesn't really go up that much with time and there are none of the 'dossy' moments you might get in an office. You get paid for time in class and that's it.

All in all, I really like my job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Despite it being my dream job, which I achieved after years of struggle. No.

Still it's better than all but one of my previous jobs and it's easily the worst paid. But the time off is great. I don't know if I could ever go back to a real job though. It's like being long term unemployed without the stigma.;) Having to get out of bed five days a week all year round again would kill me:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Nope. I went into my degree course because I had and still have a genuine interest in the area. But the interest isnt really career orientated. Now the idea of sitting in an office dealing with people who work in offices for the rest of my life makes me feel ill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭starlit

I would if I had a job to talk about that is! :/ But would hope I would enjoy what ever profession i'd end up in in the meantime!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

It's a job, it pays the bills. It's drudgery, but then without it, I probably wouldn't get out of bed in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

In general, yes. I was just thinking about this today.

I'm an EFL teacher and during my afternoon class, I thought, "wow, I'm actually getting paid for this?" I had a lovely class with bright and interesting students. They were really keen on the activity I'd prepared and the time just flew by. I often feel lucky to have this job. I can wear more or less what I like, I often finish early (2pm) or start late, I can decide what I want to teach, it can be very rewarding and generally interesting. There are loads of positives.

That said, it annoys me when people who don't do this job go on about how easy it is. It's not easy. You're never really off work, you always have prep or marking, you can have really unpleasant or difficult students, you can't hide behind a desk if you're feeling sad/sick/down, you have loads of unpaid working time (training, meetings, prep), you don't get paid for bank holidays or when the school closes at Christmas/Easter, you don't get paid when you're sick or at the doctor or on holiday. There are basically no benefits at all (pension, maternity leave...) The pay isn't that good and doesn't really go up that much with time and there are none of the 'dossy' moments you might get in an office. You get paid for time in class and that's it.

All in all, I really like my job.

Agree with everything you say above. I like my job as well and it bugs me too when people say it's easy. I suppose the hardest part is having to be "on" all the time. You can't have a bad day and I've had some bad days when I just wanted to curl up behind a monitor and pretend I was working for the day. And as you said, the lack of holiday pay is really tough.

Saying that though, I've often gone into class in a grump and come out in great form. I'm blessed with lovely students and I've only ever had one I didn't like. My students often become my friends, so it's like getting paid for hanging out with a bunch of mates most of the time. Teaching the Spanish is great craic and I find as long as you can make them laugh, they're happy and it's a great feeling when you see an improvement in their language skills.

Probably not what I'll do long-term as the money is atrocious and I can't save but for now, it suits me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Sky King wrote: »
    No its boring.

A pal of mine did it before Irish Lights started letting a lot of people go. They used to drink on the job because all they basically had to do were to be in attendance just in case something went wrong.

I sure do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

Yea, I really enjoyed my degree job, I'd always a lot to learn, was on decent money and had great fun doing what to me anyway was a really easy job. So after the whole industry died I went back to college and did another course. I'm now working away in that field and loving it too, once again I've a lot to learn and it's always rewarding when I can be of benefit to my team or when the new guys/girls single me out as the go to guy to get the right answers off.

All that being said I won't stop taking steps torwards the other professions I'd dreamed of pursuing in my youth; those being a Tailor, a Chef and a Martial arts stunts man :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nobody is cooler or can party harder then an accountant :cool:

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Nobody is cooler or can party harder then an accountant :cool:

actuary plz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Ask me in three to four years! Heading into a degree course in September, fingers and legs crossed :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Pauleeeeeeee

People pay me money to put nice images on their skin for the rest of their lives.

I love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭megaten

Nope, but I have little ambition or desire so I keep doing it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

I'm in the final stages of my degree now. I've enjoyed the degree to some extent but it certainly isn't a passion or anything. I've found some modules interesting but I don't feel compelled to read around the subject. There isn't another degree though I wish I would have chosen instead. I'm not a particularly academic person though, I chose to go to uni solely to boost my job prospects. I chose a Business degree because I felt it would be useful but also because there wasn't a particular subject I had done at school I was seriously passionate about.

In terms of what jobs I want to do I have some idea of the work I'm interested in. I like some of the graduate schemes and the opportunities it provides but then the idea of a 9-5 job for the next 50 years does depress me. I wouldn't want to do an office job for the whole of my career. Ideally I would like to do it until I'm 35-40 and either run my own business or do something else. I've taken an interest in writing at the moment. I would love to write a TV series - Mad Men, Sopranos. I'd love to be able to write something of that calibre. I've started making notes on good ideas for TV shows and creating possible character outlines. That would be a great career and again wouldn't be the 9-5 office rubbish. Obviously I need to see if I'm any good first and actually attempt to write one rather than a few ideas on paper. We'll see. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭dave3004

I dont really like my job. I am an office 9-5er.

But the atmosphere here is so relaxed and I do about 2 hours of work everyday so I'm happy to pick up my wage and browse the internet until I decide to start travelling again !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Ask me in three to four years! Heading into a degree course in September, fingers and legs crossed :pac:

Best of luck with it :D

Speaking for myself I absolutely love college, as in the social side of it, and my course isn't that bad either. Its just certain parts of it leave me reluctant in thinking that this is what I want to do.

But, that said, its a broad course and it can only stand to me in the future. Plus, its gotten me here to New York so can't be all that bad :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Yup I love it, could not be happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭girlonfire

Heading towards the final leg of my degree now and I absolutely love it. It's a passion for me and if I can get work in the area down the line, I'll be very happy.
    Having studied things for career prospects in the past, I'm a firm believer in pursuing what one loves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

I'm skeptical about all these people who love their jobs. Given the opportunity I'd happily stay at home all day shouting at the furniture. I'd also take up crack as a hobby.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm a public servant so I love my job, according to the fools who think I do nothing all day. However, yeah I loke my patient work, the paper for the that is supposed to show how productive I'm actually stops me seeing patients.

I also have a private practice and lecture on some courses so yeah it's ok. I would love to go part time and go back and do a few more post-grad courses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Odysseus wrote: »
    I'm a public servant so I love my job, according to the fools who think I do nothing all day. However, yeah I loke my patient work, the paper for the that is supposed to show how productive I'm actually stops me seeing patients.

I also have a private practice and lecture on some courses so yeah it's ok. I would love to go part time and go back and do a few more post-grad courses.

bleeeeeedin consultants

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Work in finance, love it. Get to move money from other peoples accounts into my own!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

SafeSurfer wrote: »
    My boss is a lazy ****e who no one gets on with - I am self employed.

you should steal money from his accounts ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

srsly78 wrote: »
    Work in finance, love it. Get to move money from other peoples accounts into my own!

german bond holder? :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

srsly78 wrote: »

Sorry boss, that money was just "resting" in my account ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

I would love to be a farmer. I grew up on a farm. Class. I really miss it.

I'm no town mouse :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Civil servant
    xflyer wrote: »
    Despite it being my dream job, which I achieved after years of struggle. No.

Still it's better than all but one of my previous jobs and it's easily the worst paid. But the time off is great. I don't know if I could ever go back to a real job though. It's like being long term unemployed without the stigma.;) Having to get out of bed five days a week all year round again would kill me:D

What do you do?
    kowloon wrote: »
    I'm skeptical about all these people who love their jobs. Given the opportunity I'd happily stay at home all day shouting at the furniture. I'd also take up crack as a hobby.

Me too. Crack is the craic and my furniture is very ill behaved and lacking in discipline!

As for me, i don't really have a profession - more of a job i stumbled into, used to pay quite well but not so much anymore, i enjoy it sometimes, but not at the moment.
    I'd much rather be a millionaire playboy to be quite honest:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Sometimes I do, sometimes I ask why the hell am I doing this course?! In the beginning I wasn't too fond of it. I went through phases where I wanted to be in a band and make music for a living. Then I felt I would be better suited studying physics (still sorta do) and then I sometimes wish I should be studying english literature or philosophy or something like that. But lately I've been enjoying my course quite a lot since I'm at a stage where we no longer spend time sitting through boring lectures and its not more hands on, practical, experience gaining work. If only there's wasn't sooooooo much I was required to learn and know!

I wouldn't say its interesting and I like learning and getting better at my course but I now feel my brain is more suited to understanding and solving problems than learning things off and regurgitating them in an exam. I've always been better at maths and physics where you need to understand what you're doing to solve the questions than I was at subjects like history or anything which relied more on memory than problem solving.

Now my course does require a lot of problem solving and if you understand what's going on it does make you remember the stuff much better but there's just so bloody much to learn that if you were to try to sit down and understand every single thing, you'll be stuck there for an absolute eternity, hence it required a lot more brute memorization skills than one many thing. Just memorise whats written in the books, regurgitate out in the exams and you'll get yourself honors.

Too bad though that my memory is absolutely destroyed thanks to the internet. I've almost developed ADD and I can't seem to concentrate on anything for any length of time. Hence I keep forgetting everything I remember like a goldfish. I really need to get some brain training exercises that improve your memory and see if they work... In fact I desperately need to improve my memory and concentration or else I'll be very screwed for my final year next year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sometimes I do, sometimes I ask why the hell am I doing this course?! In the beginning I wasn't too fond of it. I went through phases where I wanted to be in a band and make music for a living. Then I felt I would be better suited studying physics (still sorta do) and then I sometimes wish I should be studying english literature or philosophy or something like that. But lately I've been enjoying my course quite a lot since I'm at a stage where we no longer spend time sitting through boring lectures and its not more hands on, practical, experience gaining work. If only there's wasn't sooooooo much I was required to learn and know!

I wouldn't say its interesting and I like learning and getting better at my course but I now feel my brain is more suited to understanding and solving problems than learning things off and regurgitating them in an exam. I've always been better at maths and physics where you need to understand what you're doing to solve the questions than I was at subjects like history or anything which relied more on memory than problem solving.

Now my course does require a lot of problem solving and if you understand what's going on it does make you remember the stuff much better but there's just so bloody much to learn that if you were to try to sit down and understand every single thing, you'll be stuck there for an absolute eternity, hence it required a lot more brute memorization skills than one many thing. Just memorise whats written in the books, regurgitate out in the exams and you'll get yourself honors.

Too bad though that my memory is absolutely destroyed thanks to the internet. I've almost developed ADD and I can't seem to concentrate on anything for any length of time. Hence I keep forgetting everything I remember like a goldfish. I really need to get some brain training exercises that improve your memory and see if they work... In fact I desperately need to improve my memory and concentration or else I'll be very screwed for my final year next year!

I can actually relate so much to this, and have thought nearly all of it at some stage. It's almost as if I wrote the response myself :D

I can't stand how so much of my end of year marks go for sitting in an exam hall and brain dumping stuff that you've learned off the night before. Pointless. Especially for programming modules, makes no sense to me at all.

Thankfully, I have projects throughout the year that require a lot of thought and hands on work that allows me to realise some of my potential and get decent grades. The higher % of my course done through projects the better, and I don't even like them. But hey, beats writing page after page of what seems to me like pointless crap. Most people who I know in my course that can do that actually haven't a clue how to do the hands on stuff, yet they can still get good grades because of it.

If all else fails, we'll set up a boardsie band :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,566 ✭✭✭Funglegunk

Office Space may as well be a film about my life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

Funglegunk wrote: »
    Office Space may as well be a film about my life.

You got promoted for not giving a sh*t about your work, got with a Jennifer Aniston type hot girl... Nearly got caught for fraud but managed to get away with it due to a massive fire.... You then entered the construction scene for a more satisfying work experience?

Sounds brillant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Become a TD :D

(My bad, AnonoBoy got there before me) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

No...I hate my job/profession, but I've been doing it now 20+ years so I guess I'm stuck with it :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement