Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to watch Irish Euro games

• 22-05-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭

Apologies if there is a similar thread already started.

Where is everyone planning to watch the Ireland games this Summer?

For me personally I would like a big atmosphere and plenty of friendly banter. I've seen there is something happening down at the Dublin Docklands for the games.

http://whatsonin.ie/soccer/big-screen---rep-of-ireland-v-croatia-14608.html

Does anybody know of any similar events happening around the City?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,593 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Anywhere in the whole country will be bopping for this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I will be watching it at home. I wouldn't last 5 minutes in a pub. I've been stuck beside enough dopes over the years to last me a lifetime. The worst is when they start to say that Robbie Keane is useless and isn't fit to wear the jersey.

Also I like to be able to hear the commentary and the half-time analysis. Both of them can be bad at times but it's better than listening to fools in the pub spouting shíte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

We'll be watching in Seattle.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭MANUTD99

sugarman wrote: »
    Perfect, thanks! Was looking for something like this.

Theres an event on in Tallaght stadium for each of the games, big screen, loadsa bars & food and live acts/entertainment on the night. Tickets are €16.50 tho, which is fairly steep!

Yeah sounds a bit pricey alright,do you have a link, I can't find anything on the Tallaght Stadium website.

Couple of other things I've come across for events in the Laughter Lounge & The Red Cow.

http://www.laughterlounge.com/event.php?loc=Dublin&id=423

http://www.redcowmoranhotel.com/euro2012/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I will be watching it at home. I wouldn't last 5 minutes in a pub. I've been stuck beside enough dopes over the years to last me a lifetime. The worst is when they start to say that Robbie Keane is useless and isn't fit to wear the jersey.

Also I like to be able to hear the commentary and the half-time analysis. Both of them can be bad at times but it's better than listening to fools in the pub spouting shíte.

You sound like great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Like you wouldn't believe. I've gone down to the pub for plenty of matches over the years. For these three I'm staying at home. Who knows when we'll be in an international tournament again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

He has a point to be fair.

Nothing worse than some tool who comes off the woodwork for events like this, pretending to be an expert and have to spout off their worthless opinion to everyone to conceal their self consciousness.

I'd rather have a few mates over with cans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

They're meant to be putting up big screens in the town center in Tralee. Would be unreal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

All of the Irish pubs in Manchester will have it on OP so you're sorted...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Ah the humble barstooler. What would a watching a match down the local be without them.
    Can't wait to hear the first mention of "Don't know why he didn't bring Andy Reid"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Might head out for the Spain game but I fancy just watching at home with a few buddies and a few drinks and a bit of food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭Adolf Hipster

Felexicon wrote: »

Ah the humble barstooler. What would a watching a match down the local be without them.
    Can't wait to hear the first mention of "Don't know why he didn't bring Andy Reid"
    You realise some people who go to matches also don't have a clue what they're talking about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,429 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You realise some people who go to matches also don't have a clue what they're talking about?

yea, they are generally called 'suits' or 'prawn sandwiches', and like 'barstoolers' they are the scourge of the 'real fan'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I presume TV3 will have there cameras in the Submarine Bar for every game like they do everytime there's something big in that people go to the pub to watch? You'd swear that was the only place in the country showing the match

Ah yeah but we're talking about going to the pub here. There are idiots no matter were you watch a match. Hell there will even be a few watching it in my front room :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

NufcNavan wrote: »
    H

Nothing worse than some tool who comes off the woodwork for events like this, pretending to be an expert and have to spout off their worthless opinion to everyone to conceal their self consciousness.

Sounds like my local every weekend. :pac: To be fair, you'll get people jabbering bollocks at the games as well.

I'll probably watch the Ireland and England games in the pub with my mates though but avoid the city centre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

CSF wrote: »
    Anywhere in the whole country will be bopping for this.

I really think that you will be able to walk into any aul pub in Dublin and get a whopper atmosphere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

yea, they are generally called 'suits' or 'prawn sandwiches', and like 'barstoolers' they are the scourge of the 'real fan'.

mourinho-jose_392.jpg

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I had planned on watching the games in the living room bar but after watching the champions league final there I'm definitely not. It is far too small for the crowds they pack in. Hopefully the screen in the docklands will be good. Like others here a part of me would prefer to just watch the games at home!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

I'll be watching in Poznan and Gdansk. Hopefully then might get a chance to get a couple of games in Ukraine.

People complaining about watching a game in the pub is laughable. You have no problem doing it during the English/British season so what's the difference now?

Yes I am aware of that. I don't have the money to be going to many matches though and Kilkenny City aren't around any more so that doesn't really affect me all that much.

Anyway being at a match and watching in a pub are two entirely different things. If there are enough people at the match and the atmosphere is good then you shouldn't be able to hear anyone talking from all the other noise. The same can't be said about people in the pub, from my experience anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

agree with Jimmy on this, such is the magnitude of these games in the country that all sorts will be heading to the pub to watch. Regardless of where you go there will be a fair dose of clueless idiots shouting about stuff they've no clue about and asking stupid questions about the game. Give me a few cans at home with friends, cheaper drink, less crowds and better company. Of course then it is onto the pub after, especially if the result is favourable :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Ganymede Glow

Going out for each and every one of our games, you better believe it! These things don't come round too often and I want to be able to say I had great craic for it. Can't wait!

stovelid wrote: »
    Sounds like my local every weekend. :pac: To be fair, you'll get people jabbering bollocks at the games as well.

I'll probably watch the Ireland and England games in the pub with my mates though but avoid the city centre.
    Oh I know that. I prefer sitting/standing on my own for games. Nobody in your ear annoying you and you can concentrate on the game. <foreveralone>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Bottles of 5 world beers for a tenner in Tesco x 2

three different houses, get the mates round for a bbq, it's the only way

Des wrote: »
    Bottles of 5 world beers for a tenner in Tesco x 2

That - deep breath - Young's Waggledance Honey Ale is a cracking beer in that offer.

As is the Asahi.

If you like Honey Ales, get Fuller's Organic Honeydew, it's delicious.

And someting else similar, try Innis & Gunn Oak Cask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I'm living in Barcelona so I'll in an Irish bar for the Croatian and Italian games but down to mingle with the locals for the Spanish game!

• Advertisement

If you like Honey Ales, get Fuller's Organic Honeydew, it's delicious..

Know it mate. One of my favourites.

Last time I was in London, some of the Fullers pubs had it on draught. Lovely stuff.

If you like Honey Ales, get Fuller's Organic Honeydew, it's delicious.

And someting else similar, try Innis & Gunn Oak Cask.
    That - deep breath - Young's Waggledance Honey Ale is a cracking beer in that offer.

As is the Asahi.
    Know it mate. One of my favourites.

Last time I was in London, some of the Fullers pubs had it on draught. Lovely stuff.
    Em guys not sure if you are new around here but we like to keep things on topic. Thanks

Em guys not sure if you are new around here but we like to keep things on topic. Thanks

Sorry Mod:rolleyes:

Em guys not sure if you are new around here

Like you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭bullpost

IMC Dun Laoghaire are showing the matches . Not sure what it will be like but you'll get a good view on a big screen.

Like you?

you sure he's new?

• Advertisement

you sure he's new?
    I actually have so many posts my counter reset to zero. It happens when you reach 100,000 posts

you sure he's new?

Come to think of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭Cokeistan

Will be watching the Croatia game in the Municipal stadium in Póznan :)

The other games will be watched in a pub in Dublin no doubt!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭Warper

While watching it at home has its merits, you cant beat going out watching these sort of games. I watched the CL final at home and went out afterwards but this will be different than your normal soccer match as everyone will be shouting for the same team. The buzz around everywhere will be savage and the times are perfect. Will stay in for the Italy game if we have nothing to play for but hopefully not. These are good times which dont come around often. Plus ze women be drunky.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I heard the new cinema in The Square are showing the games in 3D.

• Advertisement

Lol what an ass.

The Docklands sounds like something I'm gonna go for. I would of thought they would have released a certain amount of tickets though. Could get pretty packed down there. I wonder what beer is gonna do the sponsoring. I really hope it is not Carlsberg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Croatia game in the Municipal Stadium in Poznan. Spain game in the PGE Arena in Gdansk. And the Italy game in a pub in Venice I'd imagine :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,118 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ill be watching them from the bench, paul mc shane here. Sure lads im not that bad

Does anybody have a contact email address for this. I can't find one anymore. Would like to ask the organizers a couple of questions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 400 ✭✭beglee

MANUTD99 wrote: »
    Does anybody have a contact email address for this. I can't find one anymore. Would like to ask the organizers a couple of questions
    You could try the 3football or 3ireland facebook pages?

I live down the road from this, so i think this will be very tempting. Reckon ill give it a go for the croatia game (and the spain italy game beforehand), and see what its like. If its any good can make an effort to be there for the other games

I put my name and email on the register page. Ended up nabbing tickets for the premium view for the Italy game.

Will be interesting to see what it is like. I heard they are hoping to get 5k in. Still trying to find out what beer is going to be sold.

three-on-quay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Anyone down in Kerry, theres be screens in Tralee for the first Ireland game, as well as the the first Polish match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Where in Dublin City?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

listermint wrote: »
    ill be watching them from the bench, paul mc shane here. Sure lads im not that bad

Don't worry Paul. I've heard from Trap he'll be starting you in the final. You're our secret weapon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement