Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sole Trader Expenses (not usual question)

Options
  • 22-05-2012 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I know there have been a number of threads on this topic but have searched and not come across a specific question like mine.

I'm a sole trader - setup to take contract work for 1 year. This work will require 95% of the time to be at one specific site and 5% at home; so from my reading* I can't claim the travel expenses to this location against tax as it would be seen as my primary place of work.....

*this reading though is purely on forums...I cannot find a Revenue webpage/PDF file to clearly define this.

My question comes from speaking to local council who informed me that even if I work 1 single day at home throughout the entire 1 year full-time contract I would have to pay business rates on the room I use as an office, have a meter installed for water useage etc. The rates would be based on the use of the office as if I was working from it for an entire year even though I'd only be here 5% of the time.

Given that I am going to be paying business rates on my home office as a businsess premises does this then allow me to claim the travel expenses to work even if 95% of the time I am going to be at one place?

I suppose I'm curious if there is a distinction here between someone who has registered their business to their home address but never pay rates vs myself who will pay rates - if I'm paying rates does that entitle me to claim travel expenses even if I did just work from home once?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tiptops

Could you go down the route of buying a portacabin and installing in your garden, Filling cabint, office desk, no water, no power, just a simple 10x8 cabin. I see alot of these where people sell cars from there home, seen alot outside of dublin. not in a housing estate ect.

Regards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 878 ✭✭✭rainbowdash

Why did you approach the council at all?

I work from home and my accountant has never mentioned I should be paying rates and I've never seen it mentioned on these boards either.

Now I understand if I open as a hair salon or a motor mechanic thats a different matter but just working from an office inside the house??

Advertisement